Here is another light build and comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The switch on the BL09 is a momentary on switch. I'm not too savvy with the electronics part of the driver, but I think its a PWM switch. I replaced that with a small reed switch activated by a small magnet on the side of the lamp (the magnet assembly can be seen on the side of the light-head).

In my photo above, I was still using the original 2P pack - hence hte large empty space. I built my own 6P pack for longer burn times - after all, that was the reason for me to use the larger OMS canister. I was previously using a much smaller plastic canister (a diver's "egg" or drybox)

lightsmall2.jpg

Although initially wanting a black canister for the POM look, I realized the advantages of a clear case (you can check for water entry). Besides, some of the builds in Lindblom's Divelight Companion were clear as well.

The use of a Cree MC-E emitter and the OMS canister (with double o-ring seals) were both ideas from the OP - 350xfire. I for one am waiting to see where he takes his XML experiments. That ought to be some light!

Doc:
One thing I noticed about your light is that the specs say 450 lumens.. The Cree is rated at up to 700 lumens at full current... I have a feeling that thing is not getting the full amperage it can take and it is regulated lower for heat reasons out of water. You may want to hook it up to a power supply and confirm this. Then you could upgrade the driver, if you have space...

I am going to start on XML this weekend!!!

Preliminary XML thoughts:
1. Voltage at max amps is lower than most LEDs- I got 3 amps at 3.01 volts. So probably not good to direct drive. Now, some people on CPF are running these at 5 amps with the right heatsink but I would not chance this on a dive light. Probably not worth the reliability and extra lumens...
2. I am using a 52mm DX reflector with orange peel. Makes a nice tight spot. I figured it would be quite a bit tighter than MCE but it is about the same. I need to take pics and confirm.
3. I fired the SST-50 smooth reflector against it and the SST is brighter. Not by a heck of a lot but it is brighter. The 50 also seems to have a smaller spot.
4. Need to try the XML with a smooth reflector to see how it does....

Overall, for the price of this LED and the output, it IS a winner.

There are no XML 52mm complete modules yet so it will be a bit before we drop the Cree and SSC LEDs, but once a complete module is available, I think the XML will be the next ticket. The SSTs are still great LEDs but for the power requirements the XML is the way to go vs. the 50...

Just some thoughts!

Hey 350,

I'm more of a "connect part A into slot B" kinda DIYer, and although I've got a basic grasp of ohm's law, that's about it: basic :D I'm usually in over my head in CPF discussions, so I'll just take my 450 lumens and live with it :D
________

Re XML:

Beamshots! Beamshots!

Hey 350,

I'm more of a "connect part A into slot B" kinda DIYer, and although I've got a basic grasp of ohm's law, that's about it: basic :D I'm usually in over my head in CPF discussions, so I'll just take my 450 lumens and live with it :D
________

Re XML:

Beamshots! Beamshots!

Haha Doc... I'm more of the "if it works, figure out how to make it better"... Of course that usually means blowing it up 3 times before I figure it out so a bit more expensive my way! lol... Beamshots are on their way!

I'm looking forward to the XML shots too. Thanks for sharing your build!!

Here are some less than adequate pics taken with Iphone. The beams show pretty similar. In real life the 50 is probably brightest...

Like I said, all three are excellent. For cheap, the DX 1200 lumen wins. For a home build the 1200lm wins since no custom stuff has to be made. If you want to tinker and have a lathe to make things simple, the XML and 50 are great as well... Better yet, build all three...

I would say the 50 has a slightly smaller hot spot... That may be due to smooth reflector. The beams are not quite as smooth as the pics show but nothing that bothers me...

Attachments

• XML Beam.jpg
    XML Beam.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 83
  • SST-50.jpg
    SST-50.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 1200lm beamshot.jpg
    1200lm beamshot.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 75
Doc, did you have to do anything to waterproof the head itself, and how did you get around the quick disconnect in the stock cable, did you install an aftermarket? If so, what did you use?

And for those interested, here is a website that still lists the BL-09:

FEREI

Hello, this is Chris from bikeempowerment.com
I love what you guys are doing with the BL09, and glad to see that you can see the quality of the build. That's why I like to carry them.
Let me know if you guys just want to buy the heads, I have 8 kits in stock of the BL09 and willing to sell just the head if you're in a hurry to get them. Then I can just order the heads for myself.
I also have other lights that might work well with your builds.
Chris

Reactions: D_B
Hello, this is Chris from bikeempowerment.com
I love what you guys are doing with the BL09, and glad to see that you can see the quality of the build. That's why I like to carry them.

Chris

Hey Chris! Welcome to the board!

If you have a spare head, could you take it apart and show everyone how fantastic the inside is? During my disassembly, I noted no swarfs whatsoever, as well as an abundance of O rings in all the right places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom