Here is another light build and comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got mine here for around the equiv. of 90 dollars. Direct from China or in some sites in Europe, I've seen it go for 70-80 Euro. Its got multiple modes as well. The only video review I saw on youtube compared it head to head with a SST90 flashlight:

(sorry, its in german)

I would love for someone to translate this and post a transcript...

The only reason I went this way even if it was a bit more expensive is that it was already prebuilt and all the components were sure to work well together. They've got a new one though, the BL12 where the reflector is closer to 50mm now. I would imagine that the heat dissipation on land would be better in the 50mm given increased thermal mass, but then I'm not sure that if they maintained the lens thickness at 3mm if it would be sufficient at depth. I think that's where a good lathe machine and custom cut lenses would come in handy :D

I got mine here for around the equiv. of 90 dollars. Direct from China or in some sites in Europe, I've seen it go for 70-80 Euro. Its got multiple modes as well. The only video review I saw on youtube compared it head to head with a SST90 flashlight:

(sorry, its in german)

I would love for someone to translate this and post a transcript...

The only reason I went this way even if it was a bit more expensive is that it was already prebuilt and all the components were sure to work well together. They've got a new one though, the BL12 where the reflector is closer to 50mm now. I would imagine that the heat dissipation on land would be better in the 50mm given increased thermal mass, but then I'm not sure that if they maintained the lens thickness at 3mm if it would be sufficient at depth. I think that's where a good lathe machine and custom cut lenses would come in handy :D

Very cool and I love the size. What LED is in it?

Its a Cree MC-E. Nice OP reflector. The ads rate the lamp as a 10W, 540 lumen light, but this thing outshines the 900 lm SSC-P7 module I bought from DX (the ssc p7 put out a bigger spot, but it had a very noticable donut)

thus far, the only diff I see with the BL12 is the diameter of the head. I think they found some issues with heat dissipation on the smaller heads, although I don't notice it getting overly hot. Definitely on a dive it'll be a non-issue.

The package comes with a 18650 2P pack. On opening it up, it utilizes Samsung 2800mAh cells with separate PCB. Ferei sells a 4P pack as well. Good build quality all around. It didn't have any metal filings (I forgot the CPF term used...) on opening up, and all parts fit beautifully. I'm sure that the head is probably IP67.

The pack I built for my canister is a 6P pack, although I bet if the pack were built professionally, then more cells can fit.

Attachments

• CRee.jpg
    CRee.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 238
Its a Cree MC-E. Nice OP reflector. The ads rate the lamp as a 10W, 540 lumen light, but this thing outshines the 900 lm SSC-P7 module I bought from DX (the ssc p7 put out a bigger spot, but it had a very noticable donut)

The pack I built for my canister is a 6P pack, although I bet if the pack were built professionally, then more cells can fit.

Very nice.. I really like the Cree MCE. I just got some XMLs I'm going to be playing with. That should be "THE" LED based on specs and size of the die.

You can fit up to 10 18650 in the can. I have done it. You vave to find a small connector like a Dean's plug and put the connector in the bottom lid.

Its a Cree MC-E. Nice OP reflector. The ads rate the lamp as a 10W, 540 lumen light, but this thing outshines the 900 lm SSC-P7 module I bought from DX

That's a very nice build.

It looks like it would make the perfect travel/vacation can light.

How much work went into fitting the gland at the end of the light?

Thanks,

Henrik

Can you post a link of where you got it? Thanks

I got the bicycle light from a local source here

The light seems to be big in Europe, as it seems to be available in several mountainbike forums in europe. A quick look at their website reveals that my particular model (BL09) is no longer in their catalog, replaced by the B9, with a 58mm diameter head. I'm sure that their build qualities will be just as good as the one I got.

They also build an actual divelight (the W150) which I think uses a Cree XPG switched on by a rotating magnet.

350, I'll need your input on a certain aspect of this build. I'm putting my faith in Ferei's QC, and hoping it extends to their electronics as well. I built my 6P pack with 6 2800mAh batteries (generic blue - not trustfire, or ultrafire) so the true capacity is hard to guess. I'm still using the stock charger that came with the light - seeing as its the same charger given with the available 4P pack from ferei. My concern is whether or not this is a safe practice - with the only trade-off being longer charging times. Is this correct? I built the pack without a PCB, but I closely monitor charging times and pack voltage with a digital meter, and I charge in a lipo-sack placed in an ammo can just to be sure.

@ Henrik: Well, lacking more than just the basic handtools, I couldn't come up with anything really slick. The rear of the light was originally an o-ring sealed metal plate with appropriate openings for the cord and a m-on switch. I took that out intially and made some PVC discs to fill the gap. Then I used epoxy (I know you don't like epoxy 350 :D ). So, the gland is currently permanently fixed to the head.

Here's the way the head looks on the hand:

Screenshot2011-02-11at111719AM.jpg

Thanks Doc. I like how it looks :)

I don't have machining capabilities either, that's why I wondered. Would be nice to figure out a way to make the gland screw in.

Henrik

Doc, thanks for the info...
As for the battery, yes, if the charger was designed for LiIon or whatever battery chemistry you are using that's fine... You are taking a gamble with the unprotected pack but as long as you have a smart charger you should not have a problem charging it. You are gambling while using the pack, though... If something was to short out, the pack would not be able to trip out and cause a fire (well may be)...

Epoxy is not all horrible as long as you use the right type for the right application. The common epoxy will get brittel and crack if exposed to water, so I hope you used JB Weld or water proof expoxy...

I have plan to modify some these gizmos too , but I'll chosse backup diving lamp GS 35MINI .

Big + for me is that is in Europe - so no taxes , can buy parts separatly , lamp is very capable for modification ( all on threads )

I have prepaired 10 Cu heatsinks and I have noticed that they are 0,1 mm on radius (0,2mm too big ) I have to polish a litle threads to fit them in to the lamp head. Another big + is that you can combine end cap and lamphead together without body - ideal for video

but yours is nice lamphead - I'll check on Germans sites

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom