Here is another light build and comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Alright guys... So I decided to finally build an SST-50 light to see how it compared to other builds I have undertaken. I have to say it IS a nice light.. However, for the extra money, it may be worth while to consider the DX 1200lm module (it will run about $25 cheaper and less machining headaches). The cost savings are achieved if you are using aquality driver like the Taskled H6CC. You can get a cheap $6 driver from DX to use for the SST-50 but I am a bit concerned that it may be crap. Especially on a dive light that will see 1 hour to many hours of continuous run time.

The SST-50 light is brighter than P7 and Cree MCE builds. The light uses a smooth reflector which brings out a few artifacts and imperfections not seen on the picture. This is due to the square shape of the LED die. It is bright and it is pushing 2.6 amps at 7.4 volts. Overall a really nice build. However compared to a full turn key DX 1200lm module for $35... I would rather build it with the module.

Hope this helps someone trying to decide which route to take!

Attachments

• SST-50 Blue.jpg
    SST-50 Blue.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 408
  • SST-50 vs 1200lm.jpg
    SST-50 vs 1200lm.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 410
  • SST-50 Beamshot.jpg
    SST-50 Beamshot.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 348
  • SST-50.jpg
    SST-50.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 1200lm beamshot.jpg
    1200lm beamshot.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 309
  • 5-LED Module 1200lm.jpg
    5-LED Module 1200lm.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 275
Here is an SST-90 for comparison (same conditions as beam shots above... The pictures are not great. I did take them with my Iphone but are good enough to see the differences. You can see the much larger hotspot of the 90.

Attachments

• SST-90 beamshot.jpg
    SST-90 beamshot.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 487
Nice work Hector. Which reflector is that? I'm currently using an aspheric and SST-90, and while I like it for summertime diving, for winter/night diving, I think I'd rather have a reflector.

Nice work Hector. Which reflector is that? I'm currently using an aspheric and SST-90, and while I like it for summertime diving, for winter/night diving, I think I'd rather have a reflector.

I agree, I prefer reflectors as well. The aespherics with SST-90 produce way too bright of a beam without spill. It's a hell of a thrower but I can't see myself diving it.

The reflector on the SST-90 is the SSC P7 reflector from Dealextreme.com. It is an orange peel one.

I tested the SST-50 DX SMOOTH reflector with the SST-90 and it fits in the hole pretty well. So I am wondering how a light would turn out with that reflector as well. I bet it would be brighter but would have some artifacts or beam imperfections due to the square die. However, when you are diving it would probably not be noticeable.

Very nice Doc... What type of switch are you using? Is that a commercial head or did you make that as well?

Its a commercially bought bicycle lamp. Here's a stock photo.

fereilight.png

The build quality of this light is amazing. I did swap out the silicone o-rings to more robust rings. the stock lens is a 3mm lens, but since the diameter is only around 34mm, I calculated it would handle the pressure of recreational dive limits (but not quite with a protection factor of 2).

I was further sold on the lamp after I saw a bunch of beam-shots from taschlampen-test.de

Screenshot2011-02-08at84911PM.jpg

The switch on the stock light is a momentary-on switch and what I believe to be a PWM driver. So I replaced the switch with a reed, then I placed a magnet in (of all things) a purge button that I cut out of an excess plastic regulator face-plate. It works like a charm :D

Since it was a bike light, it had mounting hardware, which I attached to a PVC plate then used the velcro strap that came with the kit as a strap for my hand.

For the input of all the folks here and at CPF (that would be you, packhorse, and lucca) and the greatly detailed work of wquiles, and even the at times heated debates seen in threads of H2Odoctor, I've learned a lot. Thank you. More feedback would be greatly welcome.

Last edited:
Hi Lucca,

No, I don't have a shot of the internals. I should've taken them when I replaced my plastic glands with the skintops. I'll take shots of the internals when I can to take pictures of the internals.

Hi Lucca,

No, I don't have a shot of the internals. I should've taken them when I replaced my plastic glands with the skintops. I'll take shots of the internals when I can to take pictures of the internals.

Very cool, indeed... How much was the bycicle head?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom