Henderson Hyperstretch in a 7/5MM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can anybody please confirm/deny that Henderson produces a "combo" 7MM/5MM suit, in the Hyperstretch line? According to their website it appears it's only offered in single thicknesses (3/5/7mm), rather than multiple.

Perhaps they USED to make such a suit.....but no longer? I have no knowledge or experience with Henderson, thus the question...I may have to call them after the weekend to verify..

HB

Can anybody please confirm/deny that Henderson produces a "combo" 7MM/5MM suit,
HB

My wife has a 7/5mm hyper but when I went to order mine about a year ago, I was told they no longer make them and had to settle for a 7mm. Still a great wetsuit:14:
Tom

:Dany problems or issues with the 7m,I had heard they had problems with knee pads coming off in the past,I have a henderson 5m farmer john i've been using for 4 years now with no issues and have been thinking about going to the one piece 7m hyperstrech

:Dany problems or issues with the 7m,

No problems yet. My 7mm is only 9 mos. old with about 20 dives. Knee pads look secure. Only thing is the Henderson emblem on the chest was put on upside down. My LDS wanted to return it but I figured it's a good way to tell which one is mine:D.
My wife has the 7/5 and a 3 mm Hyper, that are a little older than mine with no problems. Main concern I have heard was the outer fabric tends to pull from contact to velcro making it look tacky after a couple years but not effecting stretch or function of suit. I can deal with that because the suit is comfortable and easy to put on. I have a ECEL Vortex 7/6/5 with 4 dives on it that I hung up once I tried the Hyperstrech. :14:
Tom

:Dany problems or issues with the 7m,I had heard they had problems with knee pads coming off in the past,I have a henderson 5m farmer john i've been using for 4 years now with no issues and have been thinking about going to the one piece 7m hyperstrech

I have a Hyperstretch 7mm farmer john. It has about 60 dives over 1 1/2 years. The knee pads are fine but I've recently noticed that right above the knee pad on each leg the neoprene is pulling away from the pad and you can see through to the blue backing material on the inside of the suit, about a 1" area. I'm thinking of putting a patch on the inside because it looks like it will eventuially pull all the way away and create a hole. Otherwise I love the suit, very easy on and off and as comfortable as a 7mm can be.

Yes they did have the 7/5 version.

IMO it didn't make much sense to skimp on the arms since they tend to be (should be) stationary leading to less body heat and cold hands. To skimp on the arms is a dis-service to cold water diving.

Pete

Both are 7/7. I didn't notice any problems with mobility in the arms - but the old 7mm was getting the little pills all over it (200+ dives)and I decided to treat myself to a new one a few months ago. Now I have 1 for beach and 1 for boat- I did add a hooded vest under it as I noticed water was going down the back of the old one when I strided in from a boat. I am wondering about the quality of Henderson's going downhill though - as my old suit is still solid as can be (just a little colder and compressed from wear and tear and yes the knees do stick out/come off a little), but the new one has threads unraveling all the time. Long,long pieces of thread I keep having to cut off- it hasn't come apart yet, but the older one seems better made even counting the knees.

the lds around here still sells the hypers. 3mm, 3/5, 5mm, and the 7/5. the 7/5 is about $410

I have the 7/7mm and my wife has the older 7/5mm. I would pass on the 7/5. The idea, I think, was to use the 5mm on the arms to improve mobility, but the material is so stretchy that the mobility with the 7mm material is excellent. In my opinion, the additional warmth is worth more than the marginal improvement in mobility. I love my hyperstretch, but they do compress over time. I got a new one earlier this year since the old one had around 300 dives on it, and I was AMAZED at how much warmer the new suit is than the old one. I figure that at around $1.00 per dive, I got my money's worth out of the old one.

Back
Top Bottom