Help with steel tank markings 3AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are potentially a few concern...

1. that stamping is up on the neck.... no bueno!
2. not overly impressed with that pit/gouge (right side of image)...
3. corrosion on neck....

View attachment 699741

needs a good looking over...

maybe nothing, but maybe not...
While technically correct, I really don't have any issues with it. That extra stamping is a little high toward the shoulder, but the steel is really thick right there as well. Same with the pit, in a really thick part. If that pit were in the bottom or sidewall where the steel were thin, time to start measuring and consulting the books.

3AA is Chrome Moly steel. 3A is just shatter resistant steel (never bothered to look up what alloy shatter resistant is). 3A is really old stuff, what I typically find on old ICC marked tanks.

While technically correct, I really don't have any issues with it. That extra stamping is a little high toward the shoulder, but the steel is really thick right there as well. Same with the pit, in a really thick part. If that pit were in the bottom or sidewall where the steel were thin, time to start measuring and consulting the books.

3AA is Chrome Moly steel. 3A is just shatter resistant steel (never bothered to look up what alloy shatter resistant is). 3A is really old stuff, what I typically find on old ICC marked tanks.
I have many ICC 3A oxygen bottles that are over 100 years old in active rotation, I have never seen a 3A scuba tank.
Any idea if such a thing was ever produced?

I have many ICC 3A oxygen bottles that are over 100 years old in active rotation, I have never seen a 3A scuba tank.
Only one I have is an old 38… it's a converted navy CO2 tank from 1944, bushing and tapered valve.

If it were my tank I'd take a file or stone to that 3AL and make it go away, it's a light stamp and removing it IMO wouldn't harm a thing about the tank. As to that ding in the tank mentioned earlier, I have tanks with worse dings then that with multiple hydro tests. The pitting at the bottom of my old 50's looks very bad yet they keep passing VIP every year and hydros every 5 years. The 50's were made in 1969 53 years old and still in service.

20220110_091144 (1).jpg

As mentioned already..38cf
ETA: not produced specifically for SCUBA, but used nonetheless.

3AA is a steel cylinder. period.
The 3AL overstamp is wrong. The 3AL overstamp is for aluminum cylinders that were manufactured under an exemption...
Your hydro guy screwed up and ruined your tank.
I think that might be it.

Attachments

• 894E2858-9EDD-4EA3-AD23-8C0A2495DC3A.jpeg
    894E2858-9EDD-4EA3-AD23-8C0A2495DC3A.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 50

Back
Top Bottom