Help with steel tank markings 3AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clashswims

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m confused with a added mark to a 3AA steel tank. 3AL typically indicates Aluminum. But it’s been added to a steel tank?
I vaguely remember something about it
849697AF-5560-4C02-BA80-3005EC7403C3.jpeg
just not the details. It was 30 years ago. Anyone know what it means?

Attachments

• 2F3853BC-1D25-4CA4-82B9-B0BF29F002ED.jpeg
    2F3853BC-1D25-4CA4-82B9-B0BF29F002ED.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 86
3AA is a steel cylinder. period.
The 3AL overstamp is wrong. The 3AL overstamp is for aluminum cylinders that were manufactured under an exemption...
Your hydro guy screwed up and ruined your tank.

3AA is a steel cylinder. period.
The 3AL overstamp is wrong. The 3AL overstamp is for aluminum cylinders that were manufactured under an exemption...
Your hydro guy screwed up and ruined your tank.
Is the tank ruined, or just has a stupid useless marking? It isn't obscuring the original, correct markings.... I would think it just adds a layer of explanation needed in future hydro conversations.

Is the tank ruined, or just has a stupid useless marking? It isn't obscuring the original, correct markings.... I would think it just adds a layer of explanation needed in future hydro conversations.
And maybe problems with getting fills....

Well, out of an abundance of caution he could give it to me 😁.... I love the old 72s.
Also, I wouldn't trust the hydro from someone who marked a tank like that.

Stick a magnet on it, :wink:
3000psi in that tank is a nice fill :)

I don't even know why anyone is stamping there to start with...

Oh well its perfectly obvious what is the correct stamp, its galvanized, that's the correct one

there are potentially a few concern...

1. that stamping is up on the neck.... no bueno!
2. not overly impressed with that pit/gouge (right side of image)...
3. corrosion on neck....

1641756624834.png

needs a good looking over...

maybe nothing, but maybe not...

did they hydro stamp it with a VE too?!! Total damage to a good Norris STEEL tank..

Another vote for 'useless marking'.
Someone didn't know what they were doing clearly. But, the important OEM markings are unmolested as far as we can see.

If this was a 'friends' tank I would recommend galva-faux paint over it so it wouldn't be so obvious.

Assuming all else is g2g, vip and hydro. Also, I would look at the hydro history and see if it was the same shop etc [the alpha numeric code between month and year].

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom