Help with purchase decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a recent change. At the time I bought my reg, the program included no such stipulation. It was only about 5 years ago. I still have all the paperwork, the "free parts for life" card that was included etc.

The new program has been in effect from SP for a long while. At least 5 years. What you have is a relic and no longer is offered.

The deal is that you have to purchase a reg set, a bcd and a computer within a one year period from an authorized SP dealer. Proof of purchase of each item must be submitted to Scubapro (forget the warranty card) and you will then receive free parts kits for your regs only provided that you have them serviced by a SP dealer within two years of purchase and then at 24 month intervals thereafter. Don't miss your window! IIRC this only applies to items purchased in the US.

You're right - SP used to be much more generous with their parts programs. They still support batteries for life for their much older computers provided that you are the original purchaser and can prove it.

The new program has been in effect from SP for a long while. At least 5 years. What you have is a relic and no longer is offered.

The deal is that you have to purchase a reg set, a bcd and a computer within a one year period from an authorized SP dealer. Proof of purchase of each item must be submitted to Scubapro (forget the warranty card) and you will then receive free parts kits for your regs only provided that you have them serviced by a SP dealer within two years of purchase and then at 24 month intervals thereafter. Don't miss your window! IIRC this only applies to items purchased in the US.

You're right - SP used to be much more generous with their parts programs. They still support batteries for life for their much older computers provided that you are the original purchaser and can prove it.
I purchased the reg when the program was in effect. It was from a local scubapro dealer. The shop is still a scubapro dealer. Everyone was advertising the program, even one or two on scubaboard at the time. I still have the paperwork including the receipts. Then they decided to effectively ignore the contract. I'm sure I could sue them but it seems like a lot of hassle and expense for very little payoff.

The key thing to remember here is that scubapro as a company has a (recent) history of screwing customers and ignoring their agreements when it suits them. I believe they do make good equipment, but they are not even a little bit trustworthy.

I purchased the reg when the program was in effect. It was from a local scubapro dealer. The shop is still a scubapro dealer. Everyone was advertising the program, even one or two on scubaboard at the time. I still have the paperwork including the receipts. Then they decided to effectively ignore the contract. I'm sure I could sue them but it seems like a lot of hassle and expense for very little payoff.

The key thing to remember here is that scubapro as a company has a (recent) history of screwing customers and ignoring their agreements when it suits them. I believe they do make good equipment, but they are not even a little bit trustworthy.

That's why I don't like them. Good equipment, horrible company

Personally I like matching second stages, not just from a parts/stock perspective but also because I'm mad and in my universe sh.t must match.

I guess you will have to use a blackout mask if we ever dive togather, or make me use my vintage Sherwood 4000. I never looked at matching up gear as even vaguely nessary.

I guess you will have to use a blackout mask if we ever dive togather, or make me use my vintage Sherwood 4000. I never looked at matching up gear as even vaguely nessary.

You my friend are not insane. I've read many of your posts, you seem intelligent and reasoned. I like you.

You my friend are not insane.

I rode submarines while in the Navy during the '60's, and loved it, so I have credentials proving you wrong.:wink:

I've read many of your posts, you seem intelligent and reasoned. I like you.

Back at ya. It's always good to run across a bunch of tinkerers, before the Internet, and ScubaBoard, one could go years without running into like minded individuals. If you would like to see it I can try to get you a picture of the Sherwood 4000, with matching seconds, up on rhe board. It was, as far as I know, the first reg made for 4000# service back in the very early '80's, the rest of my regs I'll keep to myself as not to offend your sensibilities.

I rode submarines while in the Navy during the '60's, and loved it, so I have credentials proving you wrong.:wink:

Back at ya. It's always good to run across a bunch of tinkerers, before the Internet, and ScubaBoard, one could go years without running into like minded individuals. If you would like to see it I can try to get you a picture of the Sherwood 4000, with matching seconds, up on rhe board. It was, as far as I know, the first reg made for 4000# service back in the very early '80's, the rest of my regs I'll keep to myself as not to offend your sensibilities.

I would love to see it.

I accept and am not offended by others lack of OCD, I do however sometimes have difficulty relating to sane people or them me? A bit "wonky" is my preference.

I think you just told us that you need to drop your Atomics at your shop for a retune.
Yes I sent them in to be overhauled since it's been a long time since I had them serviced!
You will be getting my D420 and Mk19 soon!

Back
Top Bottom