Help with purchase decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapr1705

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Long story short, I am in the research stage to purchase my next regulator set.

My background: live and dive in the Caribbean waters of Puerto Rico, moving forward to SSI Master Diver and wanting to move later into technical. Also, planning on traveling with my own gear to dive.

Currently dive with a Sherwood Oasis Pro 1st and 2nd stage with a Tilos Essentia octopus.

Now, my internal debate is with either getting a new ScubaPro MK25 EVO/G260 and use my current Sherwood Oasis 2nd stage as my octopus and my Sherwood SPG or get a complete Deep6 Signature set that has 1st, 2x2nds, and SPG for the same price as only the ScubaPro 1st and 2nd stage.

My concerns with D6:
1. NO ONE in Puerto Rico has ever used a Deep6. 2. Iam not into servicing them myself.
3. No LDS is willing to service them
4. No LDS sells them
5. I have no one here that can tell me, "I have them, and they are either bad or great" or I have used them x years and they are either disposable or they are great.
6. I will be the first in Puerto Rico to put my money into D6.

My concernss with ScubaPro:
1. Am I overpaying for the same quality as D6?
2. Should I listen to most of my dive buddies that keeps telling me to go with the "brand" names?
3. Is it true that I wont have problems finding a place to service them in any country or place that I will travel?
4. Are they truly for a "lifetime"?

One part of me says to take a leap of faith and money into D6, the othet says to go with the worldwide recognized SP. My wife says to put my money into SB since my life greatly depends on my regulators.

Any help? Advice?

Well, what WILL the shops down there service? If you want similar to Deep6 without costing an arm and leg, check out Dive Rite if you have places that will service them. DGX has some nice packages.

Deep six primary, HOG Zenith as my octopus..Best setup for me to date. The D6 breaths exceptionally well.

I use d6 regs, have had them for a year and over 75 dives with them, they are good regulators. Your concern about local support is valid, if an LDS will not service and you don’t want to learn your only option would be to mail them back to d6 every 2 years for service, only you can decide if that is worthwhile.

scubapro is an industry giant and has been for a long time, they make good regulators but you do pay a premium for them.

Well, what WILL the shops down there service? If you want similar to Deep6 without costing an arm and leg, check out Dive Rite if you have places that will service them. DGX has some nice packages.
Here they only service Mares, Sherwood, Apeks, Atomics, Oceanic, ScubaPro, and other internatinal brands. No Hog, D6, DGX, Dive Rite. Nothing assembled in Taiwan.

I use d6 regs, have had them for a year and over 75 dives with them, they are good regulators. Your concern about local support is valid, if an LDS will not service and you don’t want to learn your only option would be to mail them back to d6 every 2 years for service, only you can decide if that is worthwhile.

scubapro is an industry giant and has been for a long time, they make good regulators but you do pay a premium for them.
I dont have a problem with mailing them every 2 years, since I can keep my current Sherwood set as backup until I get back the D6.

My concern is more with quick and easy service fixes that may be needed now and then.

Here they only service Mares, Sherwood, Apeks, Atomics, Oceanic, ScubaPro, and other internatinal brands. No Hog, D6, DGX, Dive Rite. Nothin assembled in Taiwan.

OK, so with those choices...I’m very partial to Apeks XTX50 with the DST first stage (you want the rotating turret). If you want to move into tech later, these would be a good choice. Very popular among tech divers. They breathe very nicely. Last time I looked it was $600 for one first and one second stage. Don’t let the shop talk you into a higher level XTX. The 50 is the workhorse and the others just seem to have more bling on the outside.

I dont have a problem with mailing them every 2 years, since I can keep my current Sherwood set as backup until I get back the D6.

My concern is more with quick and easy service fixes that may be needed now and then.
I believe you are answering your own question...

a reasonable concern. have you looked at the Mares XR range? They are very reasonably priced and get decent reviews, although I have never used them. (with the exception of their backplates which are overpriced). DGX has a mares double set for 799 and singles packages for 650.

Mares XR Regulators

Other than switching the first to a MK 17 you can’t go wrong with the G260 and if you really don’t want to do the servicing your self, the SP will give you a lot more options for a quick turn around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom