Help with purchase decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For tech diving, I have a set of ScubaPro Mk 25 EVO/G260 regs and a set of Atomic M1 regs.

I prefer the Atomics. I keep the SP regs as a backup.

My concernss with ScubaPro:
1. Am I overpaying for the same quality as D6?
2. Should I listen to most of my dive buddies that keeps telling me to go with the "brand" names?
3. Is it true that I wont have problems finding a place to service them in any country or place that I will travel?
4. Are they truly for a "lifetime"?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Absolutely not. It's completely up to the individual dealer. Mine decided they weren't going to honor the lifetime warranty a couple years ago and that was that. DO NOT count on the lifetime warranty /free parts program lasting more than a couple years.

Given your situation, I'd go scubapro. Since you aren't working on regs yourself, that means international shipping at least every year or two for service if you went deep6. It's expensive, time consuming, and you'll be tempted to skip servicing them because of the hassle.

Consider finding used scubapro regulators. Even better, each year scubapro sells off the "old models" for about half price. Those discounted models still get all the same warranty/support as one that you paid full price for. One of my Mk25/S600 sets was purchased new at a scubapro dealer for $350. My Mk2/R295 set was purchased new at a scubapro dealer for $200. Both were a "last year's model" sale that took place during different years (2015 and 2014 I think). Other than the "last years model" sale, you cannot get anything bigger than a 10% discount at a legitimate scubapro dealer as scubapro is engaged in a quasi-legal price-fixing scheme. If you see a bigger discount somewhere, you should be very suspicious.

If you do buy scubapro and aren't buying used, make sure you buy from a dealer listed on scubapro's website. Otherwise you'll get no warranty at all.

Ok. So, as I mentioned before, I purchased the MK25 Evo/G260 combo which works perfectly and has already done a 120ft/20min deco dive.

Now, I am looking for its octopus companion and I have decided to take the leap of faith and get a Deep6.

My question is, would I need to tune/modify/change something in the D6 in order to work perfectly with the MK25 Evo?

If the answer is that I dont, I have my mouse ready to do the purchase and begin my journey into self-serviced regulators.

if you were going to self service, i would have just gotten deep 6 and saved yourself some money in the first place.

the deep 6 should work just fine out of the box, but a fine adjustment can improve things if you want a really light tune.

I bought the Deep6 signature series first and second stage as well as the octopus...I think all 3 were around $500-550. It breathes unbelievably nice...Better than my Atomic ST1 and M1 set ups. Best Buy for the dollar by far

Personally I like matching second stages, not just from a parts/stock perspective but also because I'm mad and in my universe sh.t must match.
Yeah, we live in the same universe, but I dont really see the SP R195 as a good performer and my budget for a good performer second is around $160.

Yeah, we live in the same universe, but I dont really see the SP R195 as a good performer and my budget for a good performer second is around $160.

Agree. Unfortunately you're unlikely to find a used G260 for that price, more likely around the $200-225 mark if you're lucky.

"Might" be worth trying to scrape together a few more dollars and keep an eye out on the classifieds. I recently sold two mint condition ones for around that price @Open Ocean Diver Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom