Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely not... I honestly dont know what Im doing. Its like going to a supermarket for the first time. If you never seen an egg, the sales man can you make you believe one egg is worth $20. After the feedback Im getting, Im really feeling like Ive been suckered from my local shop.
They're definitely pushing you down a path that benefits them more than you.

I like atomic regs. I have a couple z2s and b2s. I think the T3 is a really cool reg, and if I won the lottery, I'd probably buy one just cause. But there's nothing really practically different between a b2 and a t3 in most situations.

Definitely not... I honestly dont know what Im doing. Its like going to a supermarket for the first time. If you never seen an egg, the sales man can you make you believe one egg is worth $20. After the feedback Im getting, Im really feeling like Ive been suckered from my local shop.
You never answered the car question. It was a serious question and can probably supply some worthwhile context. If your new scuba gear costs more than your car, and you don't have a dry suit, scooter and/or rebreather, you might want to do more research.

My dive shop initially recommended the ST1 until they mentioned for about $100 more the T3 would last a lot longer. Thats honestly the only reason.
Regular spg is what I was looking for, but I cant figure out where and what brand. Its was what someone recommended since I had a hard time finding a regular one. They said they recommended it since the regular ones were prone to breaking after a few uses in pressure.

Get a new shop they are looking after there profits not what is best for a diver. Mine tried this as well..... pretty sure that I wasn't the only one that saw through there BS and they are no longer around.

The only thing on that list I would buy as a new diver is maybe the Perdix if I was absolutely certain I was going to dive a lot, and absolutely certain I would advance to Tech diving.

Im new to Scuba Diving and just got my open water. As most of you know Scuba gear could be super expensive as Ive already spent a lot on mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuite, and boots

Although I may have taken a few shortcuts on a few items (e.g., SMB, Finger reels, Bolt snaps, Mesh backpack for gear, Equipment bags, etc..),
there are some areas that I dont mind spending a little extra.
Was hoping you pros could tell me your honest opinion on what you think as my first major items on my purchase list and if you would do anything different:

Items are in order on how plan to purchase them (Order might change if I find good deals on them) especially around the holidays).
If anyone has any items they are interested in selling, feel free to shoot me a DM. Doesnt hurt to ask :)

Dive Computer:
-Shearwater Perdix 2 Ti ($1400+) (Like the idea of being able to replace my own battery unlike the Teric model)
-Shearwater Swift AI Transmitter ($400)

Regulator:
-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)
-Atomic Ocotopus Z2 -or- Ti2 ($250 - $400)
-Oceanic Proplus 4.0 (Non-wireless Backup SPG, just incase dive computer ever fails) ($750)
-Atomic AI Inflator Titanium ($300, might purchase open box to save some)

BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600
-Atomic BC1 (seems a little bulky so leaning more towards the BC2)
-Atomic BC2

Other:
-Eventually would like to purchase spring straps for fins. Those are currently priced at about $75
-Cutting tools and gloves as I plan to start a group doing ocean cleanups
My IMMEDIATE impression is you looking to spend an awful lot of money as someone who just got started.

For example, lets say you get this $1600 BCD. Then 10 dives later you hear about Backplate + Wing setups, and never dive with the jacket-style BCD ever again.

I don't know your financial situation, but unless you don't mind spending a few thousand, realizing you don't like half the equipment, and spending a few thousand more, my first advice is to not spend a cent yet and wait. Perhaps even start with less expensive gear, as you figure out what it is you really want.

Oh, and WTF @ $75 fin spring straps. That's insanely overpriced! For example, 30 seconds looking on Amazon:

You need ones that fit whatever fins you have/buy of course, but I think I spent $20 on mine.

You never answered the car question. It was a serious question and can probably supply some worthwhile context. If your new scuba gear costs more than your car, and you don't have a dry suit, scooter and/or rebreather, you might want to do more research.
hence, why Im here... Everyone is telling me its too expensive but I have no idea whats a good or bad brand or product. On my first dive, I rented a BCD not knowing it was a bad product until I experienced it. While in the bottom of my div, I had no idea why I started floating to the top. Later discovered my weights fell out the right BCD pockets. Thank god I was not deeper, that could have been a dangerous situation!

Hence, one of the reasons why Im doing a lot of research. Even considered getting a weight belt and
someone already gave me an alternative: Get a better BCD

@MaverickDiver94 The t3 is a great regulator but so are all the other Atomic models. In fact Atomic even says all their regs breath the exact same, the only difference is the material they are made of. If money were no issue I would go with t3.

@MaverickDiver94 The t3 is a great regulator but so are all the other Atomic models. In fact Atomic even says all their regs breath the exact same, the only difference is the material they are made of. If money were no issue I would go with t3.
by any chance do you have any other you recommend that wont break the bank? Only went with this one as the one recommended by the dive shop and them telling me it will last a lot longer

My IMMEDIATE impression is you looking to spend an awful lot of money as someone who just got started.

For example, lets say you get this $1600 BCD. Then 10 dives later you hear about Backplate + Wing setups, and never dive with the jacket-style BCD ever again.

I don't know your financial situation, but unless you don't mind spending a few thousand, realizing you don't like half the equipment, and spending a few thousand more, my first advice is to not spend a cent yet and wait. Perhaps even start with less expensive gear, as you figure out what it is you really want.

Oh, and WTF @ $75 fin spring straps. That's insanely overpriced! For example, 30 seconds looking on Amazon:

You need ones that fit whatever fins you have/buy of course, but I think I spent $20 on mine.
Doesnt really help. Can you give some suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom