Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people want to drive a KIA, others Toyota and others Mercedes and Rolls Royce. If you can't afford it yourself, no reason to belittle others who can.
If the goal is to dive the most expensive, I'm sure people could recommend more expensive choices. If the goal is to dive "the best", then what about each of those choices does the OP perceive as "the best." Generally, "the best" varies depending on the details being compared.

What is it about those specific items that made you choose them? It sounds like you are going out of your way to find the most expensive components you can find.

Why do you want an atomic t3 over a b2, for example?

Why a proplus 2 instead of a regular spg?
My dive shop initially recommended the ST1 until they mentioned for about $100 more the T3 would last a lot longer. Thats honestly the only reason.
Regular spg is what I was looking for, but I cant figure out where and what brand. Its was what someone recommended since I had a hard time finding a regular one. They said they recommended it since the regular ones were prone to breaking after a few uses in pressure.

BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600
-Atomic BC1 (seems a little bulky so leaning more towards the BC2)
-Atomic BC2
The price of these [here in OZ] 'blows my mind'.
For that money I can buy a Mk19 G260 and a Hydros pro [which I use as a simple harness, no weight pockets] for the price of one Atomic BC1.

Atomic Aquatics BC1 BCD Black Red - Wilderness Dive Shop You have got to be kidding.:no:

My dive shop initially recommended the ST1 until they mentioned for about $100 more the T3 would last a lot longer. Thats honestly the only reason.
Regular spg is what I was looking for, but I cant figure out where and what brand. Its was what someone recommended since I had a hard time finding a regular one. They said they recommended it since the regular ones were prone to breaking after a few uses in pressure.
You might consider shopping for a new dive shop if they're trying to tell you that as a new diver you need a T3 or that regular spgs break after a few uses.

All the gear you've listed are fantastic items that'll be of next to no benefit over more reasonable choices for a new diver.

And sometimes the salesman at the RollsRoyce dealer tries to convince the freshly licensed 16 year old that they'll die instantly if they get behind the wheel of a Honda civic.
Don't you mean the Subaru WRX? They seem to have an affinity to wrap themselves around trees.

It appears that you really want to make this an expensive hobby.
Definitely not... I honestly dont know what Im doing. Its like going to a supermarket for the first time. If you never seen an egg, the sales man can you make you believe one egg is worth $20. After the feedback Im getting, Im really feeling like Ive been suckered from my local shop.

Unless $2500 is no big deal to you, I strongly recommend you don't rush to buy all this. There are very many very good choices for a lot less, but you lack the experience to tell the difference. Try out options and see if you can tell the difference before you do.

Definitely the titanium inflator is a money sink unless you really want to spend $300 to save a couple ounces in your suitcase when you travel.

Definitely not... I honestly dont know what Im doing. Its like going to a supermarket for the first time. If you never seen an egg, the sales man can you make you believe one egg is worth $20. After the feedback Im getting, Im really feeling like Ive been suckered from my local shop.
also take a look at Home - Official Site

Im new to Scuba Diving and just got my open water. As most of you know Scuba gear could be super expensive as Ive already spent a lot on mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuite, and boots

Although I may have taken a few shortcuts on a few items (e.g., SMB, Finger reels, Bolt snaps, Mesh backpack for gear, Equipment bags, etc..),
there are some areas that I dont mind spending a little extra.
Was hoping you pros could tell me your honest opinion on what you think as my first major items on my purchase list and if you would do anything different:

Items are in order on how plan to purchase them (Order might change if I find good deals on them) especially around the holidays).
If anyone has any items they are interested in selling, feel free to shoot me a DM. Doesnt hurt to ask :)

Dive Computer:
-Shearwater Perdix 2 Ti ($1400+) (Like the idea of being able to replace my own battery unlike the Teric model)
-Shearwater Swift AI Transmitter ($400)

Regulator:
-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)
-Atomic Ocotopus Z2 -or- Ti2 ($250 - $400)
-Oceanic Proplus 4.0 (Non-wireless Backup SPG, just incase dive computer ever fails) ($750)
-Atomic AI Inflator Titanium ($300, might purchase open box to save some)

BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600
-Atomic BC1 (seems a little bulky so leaning more towards the BC2)
-Atomic BC2

Other:
-Eventually would like to purchase spring straps for fins. Those are currently priced at about $75
-Cutting tools and gloves as I plan to start a group doing ocean cleanups

Where in Florida are you located? If anywhere near Ft. Lauderdale I would highly recommend tracking down @LandonL at Aqui Watersports. They are an Atomic Dealer as well as Shearwater and Oceanic so they likely will have everything you are looking for in stock but more importantly they may be able to show you some other options that may work for you. Particularly thinking about the BC where I would strongly recommend a stainless steel backplate instead of a jacket BC if you are hard to find something that fits.

Back
Top Bottom