Question Help with a Cochran Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobc9804

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently won this regulator in an auction. I actually purchased it just for the hoses. The regulator is labeled as a cochran. The little I could find on "cochran" is they went out of business after the founder died and they were know for their dive computers. I am assuming that the regulator was OEMed from someone else. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Attachments

• tempImageZGX4ps.png
    tempImageZGX4ps.png
    570.9 KB · Views: 46
  • tempImagelaenuW.png
    tempImagelaenuW.png
    703.1 KB · Views: 43
  • tempImageta8bic.png
    tempImageta8bic.png
    898.5 KB · Views: 39
  • tempImageH7qYFJ.png
    tempImageH7qYFJ.png
    982.3 KB · Views: 39
  • tempImageDnLYKw.png
    tempImageDnLYKw.png
    510.6 KB · Views: 38
Hi @bobc9804

There is a regulator, Cochran Duo Pro, in a 2000 Scuba Diving review that looks similar to yours. No mention of OEM. I bought one Cochran computer and used it 2006-11, I did not know that Cochran ever offered regulators.

I thought it was a Cressi reg. I have three or four of the first stages I use on stage bottles. I still have a few reg kits for it. They don't come with the seats, but I found those too.

I am more curious why anyone would buy an old reg set for the hoses.
for display I hope.

The first stage looks like a Coltri Sub C90. Neither Coltri nor Cochran are the OEM, I suspect it's Lavo (Lavorazioni Industriali) and a variant of their MF4.

That second stage is a bit of of a mystery to me. Interestingly the purge is exactly the same as a XS-Scuba Spirit and the adjustment knob very reminiscent of their SeaAir pre 2011. Whoever was their OEM back then, also designed this second stage. Unfortunately that's as far as I can take it, I can't pinpoint the exact OEM.

Attachments

• C90 - Schematics (2002).pdf
    479 KB · Views: 35
  • C90 - Service Manual (2004).pdf
    469.8 KB · Views: 29
I just wanted to add that the Seeman Sub SL600 shares exactly the same design features. This regulator existed before the Johnson Outdoors buyout of Seemann Sub, then rebranded to Subgear, in 2007.

The Seemann Sub SL400 equals the XS-Scuba Spirit.
The Seemann Sub SL600 equals the XS-Scuba SeaAir which equals the Cochran Duo Pro.

Seemann Subs SL23 first stage additionally looks nearly identical to to the Coltri C90.

Clearly all of the above are somehow connected and I guess can be traced back to the very same OEM. I still don't know who the original OEM is. The oldest design I can find for the second stage stems from Seemann Sub, but they may have very well taken an existing product from a Taiwanese OEM, as a plethora of companies routinely do.

If I had to take a guess, Seemann Sub, XS-Scuba and Cochran all had this second stage manufactured by a Taiwanese OEM.

Attachments

• SL23 & SL400 & SL600 - Owners Manual (2002).pdf
    81 KB · Views: 33
  • SL400 & SL600 - Schematics (2004).pdf
    156.3 KB · Views: 29
  • SeaAir - Schematics (2005).pdf
    479 KB · Views: 33
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom