Help removing glasses from my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300winmag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Few years back I had prescription glasses put in my mask so i could see. They used glue (I would assume) to make the glasses stick to the inside of the mask lens. Since then I have had eye surgery and no longer need the prescription. I have been using my back up but now they are yellowing really bad so I am wondering if there is some sort of release agent I could use to unstick the glasses with out damaging the mask and lens.

Do you what type of glue they used?

I have good luck with warm soapy water and letting it soak for a while. It it's water prrof glue you may try something called "Goo-Gone" and slowly work it around the edges of the prescription lenses.

"Goo-Gone" can usually be found at most hardware stores

Those lens are probably bonded in and if you can remove them would likely leave marks on faceplate..Just buy a new mask and be thankful that you have great vision now :)..

Few years back I had prescription glasses put in my mask so i could see. They used glue (I would assume) to make the glasses stick to the inside of the mask lens. Since then I have had eye surgery and no longer need the prescription. I have been using my back up but now they are yellowing really bad so I am wondering if there is some sort of release agent I could use to unstick the glasses with out damaging the mask and lens.

To be honest, I don't think anything with the strength to bond glass onto glass is going to be the type of material that you can "unstick", especially without damaging the glass in the mask.

As I see it you have two choices:

1) Replace the lenses in your present mask.
2) Get a new mask.

Bonne chance,

Are the glasses lenses glass?
If not you can probably dissolve them away.
If the mask skirt is silicone your should be able to get away with acetone.

I had lasek done a few years ago and my old masks with glued in prescription lenses were useless. About a half hour in the toaster oven at 500F did the trick. The prescription lenses fairly slid off off the mask lens. I had to scrape off a little residual glue on one set of lenses with a razor blade, no problem. A quick scrub, reinsert lenses into frames and presto! two like new masks! Should have done this years ago.

You might want to try this outside though. I noticed some fumes coming off of the lenses. Nothing terrible but I don't imagine it would do you any good to inhale that stuff.

I had lasek done a few years ago and my old masks with glued in prescription lenses were useless. About a half hour in the toaster oven at 500F did the trick. The prescription lenses fairly slid off off the mask lens. I had to scrape off a little residual glue on one set of lenses with a razor blade, no problem. A quick scrub, reinsert lenses into frames and presto! two like new masks! Should have done this years ago.

You might want to try this outside though. I noticed some fumes coming off of the lenses. Nothing terrible but I don't imagine it would do you any good to inhale that stuff.

I had the same problem in trying to remove optical inserts in my dive mask. You were RIGHT ON! I removed the front glass and toasted it for 20 min. in the toaster oven at 450 degrees (that's as high as mine goes)
then popped the inserts right off. A little cleaning with a straight edge to get off the residue glue and voila a new mask. I too noticed some fumes but I realized it just meant the adhesive was cooking off. Thanks for the tip If we ever meet up I owe you a drink.

I am wondering if either the scuba mask lenses or the optical lenses are designed to withstand high oven temperatures recommended by some in this thread. I would be concerned with the possibility of mask lens failure at depth unless I was assured by a professional that has indepth knowledge of the structural integrity of the glass after being subjected to high heat. Sometimes good intentions can lead to nasty outcomes.

I had the same problem in trying to remove optical inserts in my dive mask. You were RIGHT ON! I removed the front glass and toasted it for 20 min. in the toaster oven at 450 degrees (that's as high as mine goes)
then popped the inserts right off. A little cleaning with a straight edge to get off the residue glue and voila a new mask. I too noticed some fumes but I realized it just meant the adhesive was cooking off. Thanks for the tip If we ever meet up I owe you a drink.

As if I need another reason to go to Florida! Good diving!

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2015 at 03:25 PM ----------

I am wondering if either the scuba mask lenses or the optical lenses are designed to withstand high oven temperatures recommended by some in this thread. I would be concerned with the possibility of mask lens failure at depth unless I was assured by a professional that has indepth knowledge of the structural integrity of the glass after being subjected to high heat. Sometimes good intentions can lead to nasty outcomes.

Then buy a new mask. I have not experienced any problems but you never know.....

I would like to know what you all are using to stick the lenses in the mask since I have the opposite problem, the lenses fall off or at least slide around on every dive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom