HELP!! REALLY REALLY sore boobs after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to get sore breasts after diving. I ended up with a bend in Scapa Flow. My dive was not provocative. When I was recompressed in a chamber, the soreness disappeared along with the other symptoms and did not reappear following the treatment. I know of at least one other person to which this has happened.

I have since been diagnosed with a PFO (small hole in the heart) which in theory makes me more likely to get a hit - even when I dive a "gentle and non-provocative" profile. A lot of people have PFOs without knowing it (estimates are around 30% of the population have them). Research is still being carried out to understand the exact link between having a PFO and getting a DCI, but it appears that you can dive for years with a PFO and never get hit - and that you can dive for years with no problem and then suddenly get a hit. After medical advice I now limit my diving to about 10m to avoid possible overloading.

This forum has reinforced my sincere belief that sore breasts in women are a potential symptom of DCI and should be taken very seriously. If you suffer from breast pain after diving, do not get fobbed off with being told that you're not handling you kit properly (drysuit compression, tight BCD), that it's down to pulling yourself over the side of a RIB awkwardly or that it's just the time of the month. Unless there is a blindingly obvious reason for it, seek medical advice immediately - even if you have been diving for years or feel that your dive profile was unprovocative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom