HELP!! REALLY REALLY sore boobs after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to agree with opiniongirl on this one. The part where it would be best to see a DR. Not the part about guys. The fact is this is something a professional should be giving you advice on.
Jason (Jasmine)

I noticed (in the archive post) that the women complaining of breast pain were in a similar age range - 60 yrs and having experienced a problem over the past few years. Could the onset of menopause have an effect?
Also, the affected women all listed "large" breasts. Could the increased fat content make a difference?
One other suggestion was the wetsuit being too tight under the arms affecting the lymph nodes drainage while under pressure. Since most wetsuits are cut for men, that could make a difference. I have to buy mens' suits because of height (6'0") and inseam (36"). I have had the boobs squished a bit (a lot) to have the suit fit every where else. (until I got a Henderson hyperstretch.)
In regard to pressure, I've gotten bruises/petichiae from mammograms. From diving, not yet.

These could all be possibilities to discuss with a DR. Make sure you find an MD who understands diving,though, not just any MD.

underwater daphne:
@mechdiver dunno, personally i've never had the problem.

You know, I may have and not made the connection between the pain and diving - however, I have real small boobs - the ONLY kind of bend they could get is the nitrogen kind. But I had very bad pain in one after my last couple of dives - almost like a muscle strain, but not quite, not quite like PMS pain. Scubachick, do you have fibrous tissue in your breasts, and might that tissue offgas differently from other tissue (I have some fibrous tissue, small amount, it's that benign stuff but it can cause pain under various circumstances)? Does ANYBODY know the answer to this??

Um....did it occur to anyone to call DAN? They do have knowledge other than DCS related issues.

Scubachick,
Why don't you call DAN Europe with your question and get one of their MD's to either talk to you on the subject (with more specific information) or email you, or maybe suggest a Dr.'s referral? Unless you post your question to Dr. Decompressionyou are just going to get our non-medical opinions.

Cheers and hope you get a good diagnose.

http://www.scubaboard.com/archive/index.php/t-147.html

Hey Waggie, thanks for that link, and I learned a lot from it, those of you that are following this thread READ IT IT IS WORTH IT.

This is certainly a part of diving that I wouldnt know much about, as a man I dont have breasts, but as a professional diver some of my clients do. Bent boobs seems to be a reality.

Ahh, it's nice to meet a fellow irish(wo)man on this board- we're hard to come by u 'n' me!! We're also the butt of some really corny jokes in the scuba humour section too :D

Nice to meet ya!

But on the point of your post, the above link that was posted that is pretty interesting, Check it out, but maybe too, give DAN a call.

SF

Hi folks,
Thanks for all the info and help. I am learning loads, least of which is that other Scuba Chicks have experianced something similar!

Just some more background: I am 30 years old and otherwise fit and healthy. I was diving in Spain with water temp of 23 deg and in a wet suit. (Ruling out the "cold" factor" and the "dry suit squeeze" factor.) There was no other signs of suit squeeze or BCD squeeze. In my experiance, a diver feels a squeeze during the dive, not an hour or two after, as I experianced. Also, I did hear about boobs being the suspectable to DCS before. However, my diving profile was nice and gentle with about 10 mins spent at 10m or less and a 3 min safety at 6m. I contacted a chamber volunteer and he ruled out DCS as I had no rash or joint pains.

I am now back in Ireland, after only doing 3 dives on my dive honeymoon :( I have contacted the national diving medical officer here and await his reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom