Help on oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just found out I might have several options over the near future to catch free hops from my base to Hickam AFB so I have questions: 1) anyone on here AF? 2) anyone know of dive/stay package operations? 3) what's the best dive op in Oahu? 4) Anyone interested in trading a couch for a free day of boat diving and a skilled dive buddy?

I've been to Honolulu a couple times but it was before a diver. In fact, I've never been diving in warm water....just the brisk 50-65 degree waters of southern california. I'm excited about the chace to see stuff more than 20 feet away. :D

1) Not sure about AF, but I'm a non-discriminating Army guy. We may have one or two on here that aren't out of the closet.

2) None that I'm aware of, but the Hale Koa hotel is located in the middle of Waikiki, it's a military hotel and offers excellent rates. If you can get in. Also, Hickam has the Royal Alakai hotel, I'm sure the rates are fair and it's literally right across the street from Island Divers' shop on the base.

3) Gabe Scotti (scottitheduck here on SB) runs a good operation, there is also Island Divers Hawaii that has a shop (and now a boat, I believe) on Hickam. They can also shuttle you to their Hawaii Kai store where their regular boats leave. Google them and give them a shout. If you are staying in Waikiki then your options are, well, open to say the least. I would recommend diving on the west side of the island, they have some great wrecks and reefs. If Gabe can't get you there (huh??) then he probably knows someone who is. Ocean Concepts has a boat that runs out of Waianae Boat Harbor, and they provide shuttle service from Waikiki.

Peace,
Greg

Well, if it makes you feel any better I did my first many years in the army. Both my combat tours were in the army before taking it easy (i.e. going AF). Thanks for all the great info. I'll check all of them out. First chance looks like it might be the 3rd of sept or the 17th.

Another big shout out for Gabe Scotti at Kaimana Divers. Did 3 trips with him this week and had a blast. He takes very good care of his customers, runs a good operation and made the dives most enjoyable. I'll be back to dive with him again!
Dwight

Thanks man!

Did 2 tanks on the Westside yesterday and 4 tanks in Hawaii Kai today!

G

we were on those dives and they were great :D

Attachments

• PICT0551.jpg
    PICT0551.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 35
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom