New SB member

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swaldows

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My name is Shawn and I'm new to ScubaBoard, diving and Hawaii. In May 2022, I completed OW eLearning and pool sessions in San Rafael, California simply because I wanted to get a hookah tank filled to clean the bottom of my sailboat. I originally planned the 4 cert dives in Monterey, CA but because I sailed my sailboat to Hawaii in June I didn't complete the cert dives. Once I arrived in Hawaii, I decided to complete the cert dives before sailing back to California. As I slipped below the surface on OW dive #1, I couldn't believe my eyes. The warm ocean water, great visibility and all the aquatic life took me by surprise. When I finished OW dive #4, someone on the dive boat said something about a wreck dive and I knew that was the first thing I wanted to do. My instructor quickly jumped in and explained I need AOW cert because the wreck sat at 124'. Enough said. That night, I completed the AOW eLearning session and a few days later I was down at the Sea Tiger. Descending down 100' to the bow of this massive ship was one of the most exciting things I'd ever done and it changed my life! I decided to stay in Hawaii for a year and dive as much as possible. Most of my dives have been off of Oahu and Kauai but I've also been lucky enough to dive Molokini and the Kona coast. I've also completed the RD class. Now, I'm setting my sights on Niihau and Mauna Crack and just finished Nitrox Diver class last week. I hope to learn a lot and expand my awareness of diving from others by joining this forum and contribute my own experiences and lessons learned.
Aloha,
Shawn

Welcome to ScubaBoard and Howdy! from Texas! So jealous about your diving in Hawaii! It's truly like you're in an aquarium, isn't it? I remember off Waikiki, I was at 99 feet and I looked up and could see every detail of the hull of our boat! And the fish! The coral! the turtles! Have fun and glad to have you aboard!

Welcome. Given your location, some destinations - such as the Philippines and Indonesian options - may be more practical for you in terms of the international flights to get there than is the case for some of us. Hawaii alone offers boat and shore diving, manta diving out of Kona and a number of endemic species, from what I'm told (haven't been). You might rack up an enviable range of dive experiences in fairly shore order.

Richard.

Welcome to SB @swaldows

I'm sure you will be come an expert around Hawaii very soon, and look forward to reading some of your adventures on SB.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!
Welcome to ScubaBoard and Howdy! from Texas! So jealous about your diving in Hawaii! It's truly like you're in an aquarium, isn't it? I remember off Waikiki, I was at 99 feet and I looked up and could see every detail of the hull of our boat! And the fish! The coral! the turtles! Have fun and glad to have you aboard!
So much truth! Might as well dive blindfolded here in Texas.

Welcome aboard, Shawn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom