Question February 2023 Cozumel Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacpl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going to Cozumel Feb 12-19. PADI package, staying at Occidental and diving with the onsite dive shop, ProDive. We're advanced open water with Nitrox and are very active divers (we live in South Florida), however we are new to travel dive trips.

Seeking advice:
1. Can we pack all the dive gear in a mesh duffle bag and check the bag? or should I pack our regulators in our carry-on?
2. Does the dive operator keep your gear for you for the week, having it set up for you on the boat?
3. I know not to drink the tap water.... but are alcoholic drinks on ice safe? Thinking the alcohol kills everything?
4. I've heard not to eat the salads because its rinsed in tap water?
5. What other food/drink precautions should I take?
6. Is diving a Cenote worth it? Does it require a special certification?
7. Do I need to pack bug spray ? Are the no-see-ums and mosquitoes bad?
8. I've been told the water temp is around 78-80 degrees, we're packing 3mm shorties, is that enough?
9. Do I need to bring lots of cash or is a credit card usually good?
10. It's all inclusive, but we may go into town, any recommendations for restaurants and things to do on a non-diving day?
11. We are DAN members
12. Anyone else staying at Occidental Feb 12-19?

Thanks!

1, carry on regs and computer
2. depends on the shop
3. Ice is clean and safe
4. Eat salad at better restaurants, not on the street
5. Don't eat too much and don't drink too much
6.Yes but only if the port is closed to diving on the island or you have a long trip
7. yes but only around dusk and mostly at the beach bars
8.If you have enough bioprene you will be ok but I use a full 3 mil
9.Don't need to bring lots of cash. Use one of the bank ATMs to withdraw pesos

10. Research and explore

1, carry on regs and computer
2. depends on the shop
3. Ice is clean and safe
4. Eat salad at better restaurants, not on the street
5. Don't eat too much and don't drink too much
6.Yes but only if the port is closed to diving on the island or you have a long trip
7. yes but only around dusk and mostly at the beach bars
8.If you have enough bioprene you will be ok but I use a full 3 mil
9.Don't need to bring lots of cash. Use one of the bank ATMs to withdraw pesos

10. Research and explore
Thanks for the advice!

With regards to things to do, other than diving of course :wink:, I believe the traditional Carnival festivities (in town) will be taking place during your time on the Island. Experiencing one of the parades at night, with all the floats, music and costumes is a real treat.

I would also recommend, especially if the port is closed due to Norte winds and diving is suspended, to take a trip to the other side of the Island (the East Side). It is very scenic and remote, it is really beautiful and picturesque.

I always take plenty of $1, $5 and $10s. Even though the hotel is all inclusive, it is nice to tip for meals or drinks delivered. Also, we tip the dive personnel each day.

We love to go to town and visit the local supermarket (specifically Chedraui.) It's also where I get my pesos. Use the machine the locals all line up behind. There is a bank of ATMs, but the locals will only use one or two of them. I figure they know what they are doing.

I always take plenty of $1, $5 and $10s. Even though the hotel is all inclusive, it is nice to tip for meals or drinks delivered. Also, we tip the dive personnel each day.

We love to go to town and visit the local supermarket (specifically Chedraui.) It's also where I get my pesos. Use the machine the locals all line up behind. There is a bank of ATMs, but the locals will only use one or two of them. I figure they know what they are doing.
I always use the Banorte ATM in the Palacio Municipale across the side street from Chedraui to get pesos. I have used it for many years with no issues except for the time I walked away without retrieving my card; the machine pulled it back in and shredded it.

1. Can we pack all the dive gear in a mesh duffle bag and check the bag? or should I pack our regulators in our carry-on? I always carry on my reg, mask and dive computer
2. Does the dive operator keep your gear for you for the week, having it set up for you on the boat? Most in Cozumel do take care of and store your gear. I am not familiar with Prodive, check with them.
3. I know not to drink the tap water.... but are alcoholic drinks on ice safe? Thinking the alcohol kills everything? Most places use purified ice. I never had a problem with ice in my alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks.
4. I've heard not to eat the salads because its rinsed in tap water? Now that can be iffy. If I am eating at some of the well known places, I will eat an occasional dinner salad. We stay in condo rentals. For meals at the unit, I soak the lettuce with purifying tablets and rinse with bottled water. I can live on Caprise salads when in Cozumel. I never had an issue with basil etc.
5. What other food/drink precautions should I take? What Lionfish-eater said
6. Is diving a Cenote worth it? Does it require a special certification? My husband and his friend did a day of cenote dives. While he is glad he did the dives, but really has no interest in repeating. It really depends on what you are looking for. I enjoy the corals and marine life, which is not something I would get from cenote diving.
7. Do I need to pack bug spray ? Are the no-see-ums and mosquitoes bad? What Lionfish-eater said
8. I've been told the water temp is around 78-80 degrees, we're packing 3mm shorties, is that enough? I am always cold, my husband usually is fine in a shorty. Last Feb. we both got chilled. I would recommend a full wetsuit. Personally, I need 5 mm.
9. Do I need to bring lots of cash or is a credit card usually good? Always bring more cash than you think you need. I always think I brought enough, only to make a midweek visit to the ATM. Make sure bills are crisp. Many banks and businesses in Cozumel do not accept any currency with even the slightest tear.
10. It's all inclusive, but we may go into town, any recommendations for restaurants and things to do on a non-diving day? It depends on your taste. If weather is lousy, you may find the east side completely different. We once took a cooking class on our off day.
11. We are DAN members
12. Anyone else staying at Occidental Feb 12-19? We are staying at The Landmark the 11th-18. Crossing our fingers for some nice weather and cooperative airlines...

1. Can we pack all the dive gear in a mesh duffle bag and check the bag? or should I pack our regulators in our carry-on? I always carry on my reg, mask and dive computer
2. Does the dive operator keep your gear for you for the week, having it set up for you on the boat? Most in Cozumel do take care of and store your gear. I am not familiar with Prodive, check with them.
3. I know not to drink the tap water.... but are alcoholic drinks on ice safe? Thinking the alcohol kills everything? Most places use purified ice. I never had a problem with ice in my alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks.
4. I've heard not to eat the salads because its rinsed in tap water? Now that can be iffy. If I am eating at some of the well known places, I will eat an occasional dinner salad. We stay in condo rentals. For meals at the unit, I soak the lettuce with purifying tablets and rinse with bottled water. I can live on Caprise salads when in Cozumel. I never had an issue with basil etc.
5. What other food/drink precautions should I take? What Lionfish-eater said
6. Is diving a Cenote worth it? Does it require a special certification? My husband and his friend did a day of cenote dives. While he is glad he did the dives, but really has no interest in repeating. It really depends on what you are looking for. I enjoy the corals and marine life, which is not something I would get from cenote diving.
7. Do I need to pack bug spray ? Are the no-see-ums and mosquitoes bad? What Lionfish-eater said
8. I've been told the water temp is around 78-80 degrees, we're packing 3mm shorties, is that enough? I am always cold, my husband usually is fine in a shorty. Last Feb. we both got chilled. I would recommend a full wetsuit. Personally, I need 5 mm.
9. Do I need to bring lots of cash or is a credit card usually good? Always bring more cash than you think you need. I always think I brought enough, only to make a midweek visit to the ATM. Make sure bills are crisp. Many banks and businesses in Cozumel do not accept any currency with even the slightest tear.
10. It's all inclusive, but we may go into town, any recommendations for restaurants and things to do on a non-diving day? It depends on your taste. If weather is lousy, you may find the east side completely different. We once took a cooking class on our off day.
11. We are DAN members
12. Anyone else staying at Occidental Feb 12-19? We are staying at The Landmark the 11th-18. Crossing our fingers for some nice weather and cooperative airlines...
Thank you for the tips and advice!! We're definitely praying for good weather as well.

February Roll Call

(Jas) Jan and Mike ........February 11-18......Casa Mexicana..........Salty Endeavors

My last trip to Coz I went over to Tulum and dove dos Ojos. I'm glad that I did, but I'm not sure that I'd do it again. I had the feeling that there might not be that much variety from one to the next. The ruins at Tulum were interesting to visit and that added to the value of the excursion, for me.
I rented a car on both trips. I enjoy driving along the east coast of the island and the park at Punta Sur is interesting. Lunch is included with the price of admission.

Back
Top Bottom