HELP: Oceanic computer won't shut down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a relatively new Oceanic puck computer with 2 buttons... not sure of the model. For the lest feww weeks, it does not shut down. they are supposed to shut down in like 34 hrs after a dive or something?

Never had this problem before, double checked the buttons, they seem normal and not depressed and nothing is on the computer.. Removed from the console and double checked for no third button or something...Any ideas?

Computer seems to work fine when diving?

Not an equipment guru but my Aeris which is a type of Oceanic I believe has a sensor that knows when it is in the water. If console mounted perhaps there is some water, or mineral buildup that makes it think it is in the water? Just a thought. There are wires into the electronics where the download cable plugs in. Make sure that area is clean.

How old is the battery? I have had computers get a bit flakey, when a battery gets old.

Thanks... that is a very good suggestion...I will see..

Does it just not shut down after the flight countdown, or does it think it is still in the water?

Bob

I removed it from the console, soaked it in water and let it dry out completely... it finally shut down.. it was on for weeks... This is going to be a pain with a console.. maybe drill a hole in the console boot, to let the little metal tabs dry out? Wonder if I can put some shoe goo over the contacts, since I will never down load info and avoid this problem?

I set mine up to not auto start in water. I always turn it on anyway so don't see the auto start as a big feature.

Wow that is extremely helpful.,.. Should stop the problem. I assume. Thanks.

I don't know specifically about your model of computer, so take this info as simply something to think about/check into.

Turning off the "auto start" setting will stop it from tuning on automatically. I don't know that that will affect how it turns itself off, though.

It sounds like it had water forming a connection between its contacts, which made it think it was still in the water, so it wouldn't turn off. Which is how a computer should work, right? You don't want it to ever turn itself off when it's in water.

If it's not that old, is it still under warranty? Sounds like it needs to be sent to the manufacturer for service.

Have you been soaking it in fresh water (in its console) after each dive? If not, just letting it really dry after being in salt water might have caused the problem, and soaking in fresh after each dive might keep it from happening again. Maybe.

I make a point of rinsing ALL my gear just after getting out of salt water and then soaking for at least an hour in the bath tub after I get home from a dive trip.

The earlier posts nailed the problem. The computer has to sense itself dry. If it's damp or wet, you're going to have the experience you've just had. Ask me how I know. :wink:

I blow dry the contacts and buttons on mine after rinsing for the day. Puff puff puff

I reset the wet activation... Not too hard to do when you know what you want to do... Thanks everyone..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom