Question Help me get over my fear of soft sided luggage for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeno

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see others traveling with a soft sided duffel for their dive gear and I wonder if people have had gear damage over the years from using them vs a hard sided suitcase. I would like to cut 5lbs off of my gear weight by switching to a rolling duffel (my current samsonite is getting close to retirement), but I have nightmares of a tower of heavy luggage stacked on top of my dive gear.

Am I over thinking it?

My wife and I have been using soft sided luggage for years and have never had our dive gear damaged. They're normally so tightly packed they're more like a solid case. We put our regs & computers in our carry-ons.

My wife and I have been using soft sided luggage for years and have never had our dive gear damaged. They're normally so tightly packed they're more like a solid case. We put our regs & computers in our carry-ons.
I’d second this, with the addition that our regs are also inside the soft sides, inside padded regulator bags that are then inside our BCDs.

What dive gear are you bringing that would be damaged by stacking other bags on top of it?
I pack in a canvas duffel and haven't ever had any issues. I don't really have anything that could crush outside of smashing it with a hammer.

I have had a lens port cracked in a duffle. Thought it was well protected but I suspect a customs inspection shuffled something. I now use a small pelican type case to transport such items. If I need to it goes in the duffle so I can travel with a single bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom