Question Packing a backplate for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would disconnect the backplate from the wing to protect the wing bladder from potential pinch-friction damage

Can you explain what pinch-friction damage is? I didn’t know that I should remove the wing for travel and never had an issue.

If you lay your wing on the ground, and wack it with a hammer, it won't cut through. But when you remove the bladder, you'll find two holes in it.

It's called a snake bite flat in bicycling, or motorcycles. Or a pinch flat.

It's a bpw's weak spot. You have to be careful loading your rig into those boat tank holders. Or don't load it, and get fondled by the idiot boat sherpas.

I use a hard-shell, medium sized suitcase and can fit just about everything inside, including my wetsuit. I don’t take the wing off the plate but I do take the inflator hose off the wing.

Can you explain what pinch-friction damage is? I didn’t know that I should remove the wing for travel and never had an issue.
I completely made that terminology up since I didn't know how to describe it. I haven't experienced it personally, but I've heard that if the bladder is pinched between the metal of the backplate and another hard surface like a tank or a truck bed, it could potentially get punctured. So even if it probably is fine most of the time, I would separate the wing from the backplate to minimize the chance of that happening during transport.

I don’t usually bother taking them apart but I do partially inflate the wing.

I remove the wing, and leave the harness on. I don't even take the knife or shears out of the harness, that stuff is all too sturdy to fret about.

My checked bag is a large mesh dive bag with a draw string in the top, and shoulder straps on the back. I pack the plate and harness closest to the shoulder straps (since it's the heaviest piece).

I pack masks in the foot pockets of the fins, and then the fins go longways on each side, such that the plate and the fins make a U shape when viewed from above. I fold the wing in long thirds and place it in the U, along with a wetsuit and a week's worth of clothes, maybe some extra shoes, maybe a sun hat. With that much stuff in the bag, once I draw the string, nothing will move. The plate and the fins are stiff enough to protect all the squishy stuff inside.

Regs, computer, and lights go in the carry on, along with a day's worth of clothes, toiletries, water bottle, and 2 or 3 books. Basically all the stuff that's either too fragile to check, or that I want on hand.

I never take my harness or wing off my back-plate for travel. I have the Sub Gravity adjustable harness and it has never caused any problems or been damaged. I fold the arms or legs of my wetsuit between the back-plate and wing. I pack it on top now because my dive bag has been checked by CBSA 2 out of the 3 times I have traveled with it and now have TSA locks on it.

My kids and I dive and travel with X-Deep Zen BPW's. I pack them in hardshell suitcases intact. plenty of room for the wings to lay flat with no folds. The hardshell is key to prevent external pressure from having any impact.

As a little extra insurance I now use a thin sheet of of tough compressed foam between them... although I've also used our wetsuits or fins in the past.

Never had any issue with abbrasion or folds.
When I posted I could not for the life of me remember what type of "tough compressed foam" I used... just remebered...

I cut up a yoga mat into multiple pieces to fit the suitcase.

I never take my harness or wing off my back-plate for travel. I have the Sub Gravity adjustable harness and it has never caused any problems or been damaged. I fold the arms or legs of my wetsuit between the back-plate and wing. I pack it on top now because my dive bag has been checked by CBSA 2 out of the 3 times I have traveled with it and now have TSA locks on it.
Same here. Rethreading tank straps is a PITA so I don't take off the wing. My wing isn't bolted on so it's easy to put a wetsuit or clothes between the wing and plate.

I have the Xdeep Zen (Deluxe) and I've never separated the components for travel. I fly with an Eagle Creek 110L Wheeled Duffel, and I've just made sure to pack it on the bottom with the plate down and the wing folded over.

Reading these comments, I'm going to rethink that for my next trip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom