Help me get from MIA to Fort Walton Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey:
Are car jackings a problem on the Florida Turnpike :D.

Actually, a few years back, they were. Especially if you were something like a German tourist...

btw... what are 'open jaw' tickets?

are those flights on those small commuter planes that the ride is so bad you open your jaw and scream the entire flight? :D

(or is that an "open ended return" type ticket that you can specify the return date later? )

Carjackings were a minor problem caused by a small community of cannibals living next to the Turnpike who developed a taste for Baked Alaskans.
This was solved when they stopped a busload of touring circus clowns from Juneau. The cannibals complained that they tasted funny and the carjackings stopped.

Tom Winters:
Carjackings were a minor problem caused by a small community of cannibals living next to the Turnpike who developed a taste for Baked Alaskans.
This was solved when they stopped a busload of touring circus clowns from Juneau. The cannibals complained that they tasted funny and the carjackings stopped.

Wise *** :D

mike_s:
Actually, a few years back, they were. Especially if you were something like a German tourist...

btw... what are 'open jaw' tickets?

are those flights on those small commuter planes that the ride is so bad you open your jaw and scream the entire flight? :D

(or is that an "open ended return" type ticket that you can specify the return date later? )

HEHEHE:lol:

Open jaw tickets are ones where you fly out of a city that is different from the one you flew into. If I fly into Miami from Anchorage and out of Fort Walton Beach back to Anchorage, that is an open jaw.

Although, I've been on some commuter flights where your description would be better suited. Specifically thinking of the Dulles to Newark puddle jumper.

Miami to Fort Walton is about a 10 hour drive (not too much speeding) Take the Turnpike to I-75 then I-10 to 285 (errr... look on Mapquest). Orlando to Fort Walton is about a 7 hour drive. You won't save much. Pensacola is good (and closer to the Oriskany). Fly before diving; don't dive before flying!!!

If it were me, I would just drive & save the $$$ for diving.

Good luck,
-stacy

If you are on the turnpike be sure to have pleanty of change for tolls...I got lost on the turnpike last July and wound up at an unmanned booth and I had no change only bills.....good thing I didn't know about the carjackings, it was a pretty remote place.

I got lots of change at the gas station once I got out of that mess.

When did we ever have carjackings on Florida's Turnpike? I know that there was a problem with them in bad neighborhoods in Miami about 15 years ago, and that they happened to German tourists at that time, but never heard about Turnpike hijackings. It's not like we need to make people alarmed over something that "could happen" but certainly isn't a recurring problem.

DebbyDiver:
When did we ever have carjackings on Florida's Turnpike? I know that there was a problem with them in bad neighborhoods in Miami about 15 years ago, and that they happened to German tourists at that time, but never heard about Turnpike hijackings. It's not like we need to make people alarmed over something that "could happen" but certainly isn't a recurring problem.

I was just commenting on what someone else posted, I am clueless about the Florida turnpike, evidenced by my getting off at an unmanned seldom used exit (probably only on the weekend) with no change to get myself out of the situation.

Why are you going to Ft Walton to dive the Oriskany when the Oriskany is in Pensacola??

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom