help me get a hatchback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tankboygreg:
The Honda Element would be my first choice for primarily a dive vehicle.

x-nayed by the wife-nay ... who hates it

but a nice car

everybody else, again, thanks for all the continued input

eckybay:
I'm sure you've run across this in your research, but the Vibe and the Matrix are basically the same car.

hmmm... someone might have mentioned that, but i am glad you brought this up again...

they are VERY close in MPG and cost ... and for me, look about the same

however, the Vibe got a 9.3 at Edmunds while the Matrix got an 8.7

go figure =)

When we bought our Vibe three weeks ago, we drove the Matrix to for comparison. No major differences from what we could tell - not even with the styling. The Vibe came with roof racks though, which come in handy. And it was, at least in Canada, a few K cheaper.

My husband just had to get over the snob issue of having to say that we bought a Pontiac. He says "It's-a-Pontiac-Vibe-but-it's-exactly-the-same-car-as-the-Toyota-Matrix."

I bought my Vibe a little over four years ago when it was in its first years run and did pretty much the same thing - test drove both of them, I liked attitude of the salesman at the Pontiac dealer better, so he got my money.
I did get a chuckle out of the Toyota salesman though and how he tried to convince me that the Matrix was a better made car....He propably figured I was a young female who didn't do her research...
The only problem I've had with the car in that time is I had a muffler go bad - replaced under warrenty with no problems. I routinely get right around 30 mpg.

eckybay:
I did get a chuckle out of the Toyota salesman though and how he tried to convince me that the Matrix was a better made car....He propably figured I was a young female who didn't do her research...

They may be identically built, but they don't have identical resale values. Do a quick check over at kbb.com using identical age, mileage, and equipment and you'll see the Toyota has better resale value.

The example I used (2003 models with 50k, power windows/power locks/cruise/alloy wheels, excellent condition) showed the Toyota had an estimated private party resale value of about $1300 more than the Pontiac.

Keep in mind this was for values in my area. The saying "YMMV" also applies to resale values as well.

RonDawg:
They may be identically built, but they don't have identical resale values. Do a quick check over at kbb.com using identical age, mileage, and equipment and you'll see the Toyota has better resale value.

The example I used (2003 models with 50k, power windows/power locks/cruise/alloy wheels, excellent condition) showed the Toyota had an estimated private party resale value of about $1300 more than the Pontiac.

Keep in mind this was for values in my area. The saying "YMMV" also applies to resale values as well.

Well, since I plan on driving mine into the ground, the resale value didn't really matter to me. But a salesman telling me stuff like the Pontiac factories don't have the same quality standards as the Toyota factories do - when the Vibe is built out at NUMMI in California that also builds Tacomas and Corollas - had a huge impact on helping me decide who would ultimately get their commission.

Our Toyota sales guy did the exact same thing. His main argument is that the Pontiac workers were on drugs - no joke! And when he called to follow up and we told him we bought the Vibe, he said "Well, good luck with that." Yeah, thanks. :mooner:

eckybay:
Well, since I plan on driving mine into the ground, the resale value didn't really matter to me. But a salesman telling me stuff like the Pontiac factories don't have the same quality standards as the Toyota factories do - when the Vibe is built out at NUMMI in California that also builds Tacomas and Corollas - had a huge impact on helping me decide who would ultimately get their commission.

I largely discount whatever car salesmen (and women) are telling me. Usually, I go into the showroom armed with more knowledge about my potential purchase than they have. One guy even tried to point out how easy it was to find the transmission dipstick on my particular model, until he couldn't find it himself. I had to point out to him that manual transmission cars usually don't have a dipstick for the I'm stupid :rolleyes:

My last car purchase didn't even involve a salesperson. Almost the entire transaction, from finding the exact model and specifications I wanted, to the financing, were done online. The person I dealt with was a sales manager, and not one of the sales jockeys who prowl the lot like so many sharks :11: I only needed to show up to the dealership to inspect my purchase, sign the paperwork, and hand over the keys to my old car. If there was a possible way to download my new car (and upload my old one) I would have done so :wink:

Going back to your original post, for the most part Toyota enjoys a good reputation for quality, whereas most General Motors brands don't.

I'm liking the sounds of car shopping over the Internet - I may have to try that next time around. It was my first real car purchase, and I was dreading dealing with the salespeople to begin with and don't look forward to doing it again when the time comes.:shakehead

Toyota does have the better rep and the fact that the Vibe is so heavily based on a Toyota design using a modified Celica powertrain was a big plus in my book. It does have that Pontiac badge on the outside though, so understandable it would get the GM rep. as far as resale and first impressions. Either way, the Vibe and the Matrix are both decent cars if that's the type of vehicle you're looking for.:14:

well, sort of an update ... i went out of town on business, and arranged to rent the
Dodge Caliber ... it's an 1.8 L, 149 hp engine, but comes in at a hefty 3039 ... still, it did have enough pick up to get in and of traffic

it was roomy inside, but it had a HORRIBLE dash layout. it looked like something out of
a bad 70's Bond movie, lots of fake aluminum and BRIGHT WHITE DIALS... ah well...

the ride was smooth, and it had good pickup (as i said). it wasn't excactly "fun" to drive, but it wasn't a drag. i calculate 24 "real world" MPG.

the Fit which i drove last week was much more fun and much more pleasing to the eye

alright... test drove the Scion xA yesterday

it's a steady ride, nothing spirited about it. not as spritely as the Fit Sport. of course, it's about $3,500 less (total costs).

the design is very pleasing, inside and out, and i just like its style

a very attractive "budget" vehicle indeed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom