help me get a hatchback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an Outback Sport with auto. They are a lot of fun to drive and are very solidly built. The same chassis can handle 300+ hp in the rally versions.

However, you pay for the strength and AWD at the pump. In city driving, I never topped 22mpg and 19 was about average. My old manual shift Civic hatchback used to get 30 under the same conditions.

Halfway between the Outback Sport and your intial picks in price is the Mazda 3, which is a real gem. The xB and Element also fit in that range if you don't mind driving a box.

Time to hit the dealers for some test drives.

i definetely have my eye on the Mazda 3

H2Andy:
i definetely have my eye on the Mazda 3

What about the Kia Rio5?? The Kia dealers are usually willing to bargain a bit whereas the Hyundai dealers won't (that issue might be just local to me though, Rick Case Hyundai versus Gunther Kia). The Rio and the Accent are 99% the same car, built on the same assembly lines.

well, the Kias just don't seem to do it for me

for example, the Spectra 5 hatchback only gets 23 mpg ("real world" MPG) on average,
and it has to pull 21.77 lbs per horse power produced. i could live with that MPG if it were pulling, say, 17 lbs per horse power; or i could live with the 21.77 lbs per horse power if it gave me 28 "real world" MPG or so...

but the combo just doesn't work

Kia's engineering is not there ... at least for me ....

would that be ... .a Pacer?

:wink:

mania:
C'mon Kia is a joke not a car...
Mania

Well there Skippy,

The Hyundai Accent (which H2Andy listed as one of his possibilities) is the SAME car as the Kia Rio.
Same engine, same wheelbase, same MPG, built in the same factory.
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/comp...0=18626&carid1=18132&pagetitle=specifications

Regarding the Kia Spectra, it's the same car as the Hyundai Elantra, except the Spectra5 is a notchback (and poorer aerodynamics) and the Elantra is a hatchback but otherwise, it's the same engine, same wheelbase, and built in the same factory.
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/comp...0=18656&carid1=18543&pagetitle=specifications
Sonata = Optima as well. Tucson = Sportage too.

Now, regarding that Mazda3, you can get that 2.3 liter engine in your Ford Focus too and save about $1500.

I second the suggestions for the V-Dubs...either the new Rabbit's or a diesel Golf/Jetta.

The diesel Jetta/Golfs get clsoe to 1000-1200km on a tank of diesel and have power and room to boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom