help me get a hatchback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
I second the suggestions for the V-Dubs...either the new Rabbit's or a diesel Golf/Jetta.

The diesel Jetta/Golfs get clsoe to 1000-1200km on a tank of diesel and have power and room to boot.

H2Andy will have to hurry if he wants a new one as VW won't be bringing their diesels to the US for the 2007 model year.

Andy--
You and I have been doing the same shoopping; my buying plan is just a year or two away.

The Scion's have already been mentioned, but not the tC: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?state=new&make=Scion&model=tC, which was my top runner until I saw this.............. (though you'd have to wait a while, since it's just been introduced:

http://www.jeep.com/en/compass/index.html?bid=1819372&pid=12680259&adid=42130414&rid=0

Both a little above your range, but still well under $20K...........the Compass is now my front runner, unless it really resembles a wagon once I get a look at it in person......

KBeck:
Andy--
You and I have been doing the same shoopping; my buying plan is just a year or two away.

The Scion's have already been mentioned, but not the tC: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?state=new&make=Scion&model=tC, which was my top runner until I saw this.............. (though you'd have to wait a while, since it's just been introduced:

http://www.jeep.com/en/compass/index.html?bid=1819372&pid=12680259&adid=42130414&rid=0

Both a little above your range, but still well under $20K...........the Compass is now my front runner, unless it really resembles a wagon once I get a look at it in person......

The Tc gets pretty crappy MPG compared to other cars in the same category.
As a sidenote, the new Compass is the Dodge Caliber wearing different skin.

deepstops:
The Tc gets pretty crappy MPG compared to other cars in the same category.
As a sidenote, the new Compass is the Dodge Caliber wearing different skin.

Yeah, I had noticed the MPG on the tC, but hadn't gotten to the shopping point of investigating things that closely. Definitely a deal breaker when the point is to try to avoid the gas-guzzling issues of the SUV world.

And, funny about the Caliber. Funny how we let our perceptions cloud things....I had also looked and thought, eh, Dodge. I'm still trying to drop my stereotypes about American cars (note I said cars, not trucks.... :) ). Most of what I'm reading is that the American cars are really coming up in quality in a hurry, but it's hard to jump the hurdle of those long held stereotypes (and meddia hype).

well, so far the front-runners, numbers wise are the Honda Fit Sport, the Scion xA, the Pontiac Vibe, and the Toyota Matrix

going on MPG, peppiness, price, and standard items

i drove the Honda Fit Sport at lunch today, and like it very much. it is very nimble and agile for city driving, with nice pickup. on the highway, it was a bit sluggish,
but it did manage to pass a few cars on command.

it has a Formula-1 inspired transmission override (how cool is that?) and you can manually downshift to get more power at will (also upshift, if you want to).

it looks nice, and it rides great ... a very strong impression

And it's a Honda. I see your <13k requirement didn't survive its meeting with reality :)

What happened to the Mazda 3?

the $13k did not survive long, alas

i like the Mazda 3, but it's too expensive and the MPG is not good enough

Gotta throw in another vote for VW. You're paying for quality....

Get a certified preowned TDI (diesel). Probably my next move. I've got a Jetta now and it handles 2 persons dive gear like a champ.:wink: Also with 200K+ miles on her, pretty reliable.

TSandM:
Bob has a Honda Element, which is a mobile dive shop, but it's an SUV and pretty utilitarian if you are looking for a passenger vehicle. The Audi manages to be a dive car and still dress up pretty well when necessary (once you have gotten the detritus of a great many diving days out of it).

The Honda Element would be my first choice for primarily a dive vehicle. However, my Nissan Murano will have to suffice.:wink:

The best dive car ever was the VW Squareback. We used to load 4 tanks under the hood and load up the back with dive gear and camping gear. It used to amaze me how much stuff we could cram into it. Of course I'm glad we never had any head-on collisions:11:

I'm sure you've run across this in your research, but the Vibe and the Matrix are basically the same car. Just a matter of which styling you like better and which dealer is willing to give you the best deal. The Vibe is actually built in a Toyota plant and is the version of the car that they sell in Japan. It amused me the first time I looked under the hood of mine and counted all the "Toyota" stamps that I found

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom