help me get a hatchback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard somewhere (maybe even elsewhere on this board) that while it's OK to use home-made biodiesel in an older engine, it's not a good idea to do so with many of the newest diesels like the VW TDI's. I've heard that these have had problems with farm-grade diesel, much less the stuff you used to fry your food with.

Even if nobody's had a problem with them so far, I'm not sure if I would risk my warranty to save a few bucks at the pump. An older car or truck fine, but certainly not a new one.

Here's some info from VW about the use of biodiesel in its vehicles:

...Volkswagen has determined that diesel fuel containing up to five percent biodiesel meets the technical specifications for Volkswagen vehicles equipped with TDI engines imported to the United States. Therefore, the diesel fuel commonly known as “B5 biodiesel” is acceptable for use in all our TDI vehicles...

...we must stress that vehicle damage that results from misfueling or from the usage of substandard or unapproved fuels cannot be covered under our vehicle warranties...

...Biodiesel fuel which does not meet the latest specification, however, has the potential to damage your vehicle’s fuel delivery and fuel injection system. Volkswagen recommends that you use standard diesel fuel, or biodiesel blend fuels of up to five percent (B5), purchased from a mainstream retailer through a commercial pump. Should the use of substandard fuels, or higher level blends of biodiesel, damage your engine or fuel system, such damage cannot be covered under warranty. If a fuel problem related to substandard diesel fuel or biodiesel blend fuel occurs with your vehicle, you may be asked to provide the source or sales location of the fuel...

Here's the link to the entire article from the VW US website:

http://www.vw.com/contactus/faqs.html#5.1

IMHO, 5% biodiesel isn't worth the effort to produce it.

I've talked with a gentleman in GA who has been using biodiesel (home made) in his mid-late 90's diesel pickup since 2000. He's had no problems with it at all.

With the lil machine I put a link to there should be virtually no difference in the grade fuel that produces vs. what is produced commercially. The commercial manufacturers use the same exact process but are federally required to produce it in the same type of plant as petrolium is refined in even though this has nowhere near the complexity to create nor does it produce the waste. The biproduct for production of biodiesel is SOAP. The emissions for using biodiesel is water vapor that smells like.... french fries.

Honestly, if I could create it I would have a diesel hybrid and run it on biodiesel.

oh no, purchase target date is March

my wife has weighed in on the side of the Honda Fit Sport

i'm still leaning towards the Scion xA

H2Andy:
oh no, purchase target date is March

my wife has weighed in on the side of the Honda Fit Sport

i'm still leaning towards the Scion xA

Ahhhhh....okay! I was concerned! :wink:

Did you ever purchase Andy? I'm looking at the yaris, versa and fit myself.

Note: newest diesels have particulate converters in the exhaust and have to meet much more stringent emission limits, and the US has mandated a 95% reduction in sulfer content in diesel fuel now .. make sure your only using fuel that your manufacturer recomends

Back
Top Bottom