Help me choose my gear please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey guys, found this: GT3 scuba Package

but actually, I have not made my buy yet, thought about it for a while and decided to look at some BP/W setups again before buying.
On scubabasics.com they have a few but they are all too expensive for me to afford. another thing that concerns me is how comfortable a BP/W setup is. the bare metal backplate seems very uncomfartable to have your back against unless you are wearing a wetsuit. can anybody with experience comment on this please?

Last edited:
I have been researching gear for over a week now and I keep comming back to this package I found on amazon.com

Amazon Oceanic Ocean Pro BCD, Alpha 8 Sport DVT Reg, Veo 100nx 3Gauge Computer, Slimline Octo
(copy this and paste in google, then click first search result... sorry about that this forum won't let me post urls!!!)

I like that it comes with a dive computer, and the regulator has good reviews. it also has DVT which friends told me is a good feature of newer gear. And I like the BCD a lot because it doesn't look as bulky as the other models I've seen, which is something I want. also, I think this set just looks cooler than the other ones. I don't have a huge budget (about $800) so I want to get the neccessairy stuff first, the rest I can burrow or rent for now. what are your opinions about this set, and what are your suggestions if you don't think it is a good set.

Hi,
not sure if someone came up with this suggestion already, didn't have time to read all answers. However, I would give this package a look:
Oceanic Recession Buster Package

Same BCD and computer, but better 1st stage and "real" second stage for octopus (instead "slimline"), plus a reg. bag, at same price. It's a steal, hard to beat!

I think, in general, you make no mistake with most any Oceanic gear. Wife and I used their products for years (computer, BCD, regulator), always happy.

Of course, then there is the "BP/W-questions" that invariably will come up in this forum. I dive one now, but don't generally recommend it to every new diver - especially if price is important!

Why?
You hardly get package deals like the one above on BP/W setups.
So you most likely end up paying significantly more just to get wet.

However, almost always your opinions, needs, taste will change once you start diving. This will lead you to want different gear, invariably, it's a law
:)

So I think it is better to get wet asap (use the money you saved for a nice dive trip!), in quality gear, and collect experience.
Then you will be in a much better position to really know what you want, make the right choices, and step by step change pieces of your equipment.
Or stay happy with what you have, and keept diving (if you are no gearhead). :cool2: Or - what we won't hope - discover that diving isn't for you after all and be happy you burned less money.

hey guys, found this: GT3 scuba Package

but actually, I have not made my buy yet, thought about it for a while and decided to look at some BP/W setups again before buying.
On scubabasics.com they have a few but they are all too expensive for me to afford. another thing that concerns me is how comfortable a BP/W setup is. the bare metal backplate seems very uncomfartable to have your back against unless you are wearing a wetsuit. can anybody with experience comment on this please?

Just saw this after I posted my suggestion.
It's a little bit better than the Amazon deal ("real" 2nd for octopus), but not as good as the Leisurepro deal I suggested (that has better 1st stage plus reg. bag).

I don't know Scubabasics, however, most people including me know Leiurepro. Not everybody here on the board likes them, especially local dive shops. But they are a very etsablished outlet with generous return and warranty policies.

Your question reg. the BP/W illustrates what I mean when I suggest to get wet asap in good gear (Oceanic is good), rather than try to stitch together the "optimum setup" based on theory or advice read on the internet.

To answer your question: Most people are surprized to learn that backplates are much more comfortable than they look. Typically not a problem, you really don't need much padding. In fact, too much padding in BCDs lead to "dead bouyancy" requiring you to carry addtl. weight you normally won't need.

Then again, I still recommend getting a quality package like the ones we are talking about, and use rest of your money for actual diving.
Package deals like these you'll be able to sell in a year or so used with very little or no loss (individually, never as a package!, ebay), if you really don't lile them.

One more recommendation, since you wrote " unless you are wearing a wetsuit":
Sounds like you want to dive in warm waters and skimp on the wetsuit. Don't do it. Get a thin long sleeve suit, no matter how warm you tink it will be .
It's not only for warmth, but also for protection of your skin (stingy jellyfish, sharp objects, ultraviolet light in shallow water - no kidding!).
I have a Henderson Microprene, but there are many other similar ones.

Just seconding Deepseafalcon's wetsuit advice. You might see visitors diving in a suit or shorty if it's very warm, but if you watch you'll notice that that the divemasters etc. probably all have 3mm full suits.

If you are planning to continue diving, put your effort in finding a good local dive shop. They will assist you with your choice, they understand that you have a limited budget, they would like to see you back and most important of all, you are building a relation to get service and a fair price in the future.

Pieter.

If you are planning to continue diving, put your effort in finding a good local dive shop. They will assist you with your choice, they understand that you have a limited budget, they would like to see you back and most important of all, you are building a relation to get service and a fair price in the future.

Pieter.

would be interesting to see what most LDS quote for above mentioned packages.
I remember the recent thread of the Canadian guy who saved, what, a thousand $$$, by ordering online.

Don't want to start a new LDS vs. online discussion here.
But I don't agree that going to a LDS will help the thread opener a whole lot, other than burn more money.
For one, he seems comfortable on the internet, otherwise he wouldn't have asked the question.
Second, LDS will always (have to) recommend the brand(s) they happen to carry.
Third, he mentioned many times that he is on a tight budget. I will be damned if the average LDS can offer a complete package of good quality gear for the prices mentioned above.

Reg. the often mentioned scare "to buy local to get service":
I have bought a lot of stuff online, and I also relocated a lot, so I barely used LDS where I also bought my gear.
But I was never rejected by a LDS when I needed service. Why should they? Service is also business, and I as a happily served customer will bring more business, big or small. Maybe I missed on the "you get 5$ off your annual reg. service" special, but heck. :)

What is a totally different story is to steal hours of the LDS time to try and test gear, and then turn around and buy elsewhere. That's just common sense unfair, but I didn't think that's what the threadopener did.

QUOTE]What is a totally different story is to steal hours of the LDS time to try and test gear, and then turn around and buy elsewhere. That's just common sense unfair, but I didn't think that's what the threadopener did.[/QUOTE]

nope, instead I wasted your time
just kidding xD
I've been to a few but they only carry a single brand, and since I'm shopping around for the best equipment/price, online gave me all the options I need.

well... I now decided to go against those that say just buy the jacket style package because I looked some more into BP/W setups and now I'm completely convinced they are best. They also look cooler!

so, new question. what is a good BP/W setup and what would you suggest for florida waters?

and finally, thanks for all the friendly help by everyone

snip

so, new question. what is a good BP/W setup and what would you suggest for florida waters?

huh, that's a question that can fill hours and dozen's of posts to analyze and answer
(that's why my earlier recomm. to get practical experience in low cost quality gear first)

so points important to know are:
- how much bouyancy will you need? (based on what we know so far, not very much, as you seem to focus on warm water with limited exposure protection)
- will you only dive singles
- how important is travel weight
- do you mind using a weight belt, or is "weight integration" importanty to you
- what's your budget
- how important are "cool looks", and what is your defintion of it :cool2:

that's for starters, maybe some more questions will come up

and finally, thanks for all the friendly help by everyone

... there is this great "thank you for the helpful answer" forum function :wink:

well... I now decided to go against those that say just buy the jacket style package because I looked some more into BP/W setups and now I'm completely convinced they are best. They also look cooler!

:no: No single piece of dive gear is "the best". Each piece of gear is designed to excel in different areas. It is best to recognize the pros and cons for each setup and choose the one that best fits your needs. To simply state that "they are the best" shows ignorance and may just start the next World War on this forum.

I'm glad you've narrowed your search to gear that may best fit your style of diving. Keep in mind that after diving in a setup you may find pos or cons that you previously did not anticipate when buying which may or may not change your mind. Stop back in to this thread and update us on your quest to find your gear.

Back
Top Bottom