Help me choose my gear please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, if that future requirement had been posted in the original message it would have directed the responses a lot better.

There are many valid reasons why the overwhelming majority of serious cave and wreck divers use a BP/W configuration.

The great thing about BP/W is that it will 'grow' with you from basic open-water diving into whatever type of advanced or technical diving you may eventually develop into. As such, it is very reasonable choice for an entry-level diver who intends to safely dive in overhead environments in the future.

Sending someone straight in to tech style gear may not be the best idea. While I do understand that doing some tech diving may be an end goal you really should step back and ask yourself how much experience and diving are you looking to do before you start to pursue tech diving?

I ask this because your estimated budget may not allow you to get in to a BP&W setup right from the start. The entry level equipment you picked out will defiantly be safe and allow you to get more dives "under your belt" while you develop your skills. Undoubtedly, as you gain more experience you will also meet more divers who have a wide range of gear and give you their version of the pros and cons of it.

There is nothing wrong with the gear you've selected per say and there is nothing wrong with the BP&W setups people recommend. You have to determine for yourself what your upgrade path is. If you're going to do 50 dives in 5 months time and go in to tech diving then you may be best to save some more money and buy a BP&W now. On the other hand, if you think it more reasonable to get 50 dives over two years (that is one - two tank - trip per month) you may be better off starting off on the lower end and upgrading as you go along.

Sending someone straight in to tech style gear may not be the best idea. While I do understand that doing some tech diving may be an end goal you really should step back and ask yourself how much experience and diving are you looking to do before you start to pursue tech diving?

Firstly.... BP/W is not 'tech'. Nor is it exclusive to 'tech'.

It is a buoyancy control device, plain and simple.

Technical divers use a BP/W as the basis for mounting twinsets and carrying multiple stages.

Recreational divers use a BP/W with a single cylinder...adding and subtracting air from the bladder using an LPI to attain neutral bouyancy during their dive. The same as any jacket style BCD.

Regardless of any benefits brought by future upgrades of the modular system to cater for technical diving activities, there is also a strong logic behind choosing a BP/W configured for single tank, recreational diving... based on the inherent advantages of the BP/W design alone.

Secondly, my dive center exclusively uses BP/W from OW level upwards. I can teach open water students in them with no problems at all. We put fun divers into them as rental gear. There is no issue with doing this...and the feedback I get from experienced divers using them for the first time is overwhelmingly positive.

I ask this because your estimated budget may not allow you to get in to a BP&W setup right from the start. The entry level equipment you picked out will defiantly be safe and allow you to get more dives "under your belt" while you develop your skills.

There is maybe $100 difference between a basic BP/W set-up and an entry-level bcd. If you buy second-hand or Ebay (especially items like backplate and DIY harness set) then a BP/W can easily come in cheaper than a jacket bcd. I will soon be selling BP/W here at $330.

For the sake of $100...you will be gaining a set-up that will last longer (more rugged), easier to maintain (modular system) and will evolve to match your needs as you progress in your diving. Buy a cheap jacket BCD and you'll probably be Ebaying it in 50 dives time at a substantial loss.....

There is nothing wrong with the gear you've selected per say and there is nothing wrong with the BP&W setups people recommend. You have to determine for yourself what your upgrade path is. If you're going to do 50 dives in 5 months time and go in to tech diving then you may be best to save some more money and buy a BP&W now. On the other hand, if you think it more reasonable to get 50 dives over two years (that is one - two tank - trip per month) you may be better off starting off on the lower end and upgrading as you go along.

Agreed... there's is nothing 'wrong' with any equipment choice you may choose....and you are bound to like it and enjoy it (if you don't know any difference).

However, it may be 'optimum' to invest in a set-up that will provide a much better long-term investment and is arguably far better performing in the water....

Something like a DSS BP/Wing with a pro-fit harness might be a thoughtfull solution for a new diver with Tec ambitions. Later on he/she could transition to a hog set-up. There is only one posiable drawback to BP/Wings and that is the adjustments required with diffirent expousure suits. Price is fairly comparable. If not, wait until enough $$$ is acquired IMO.

What is your logic from 'progressing' from a complex harness to a simple one? From an expensive harness to a cheap one?

Go for the cheap and easy HOG harness...and, if you really don't like it after a reasonable period of acclimatization, then spend the money to upgrade to fancy one.

If you find you are happy with the cheap HOG harness (most people do), then you've saved yourself $$$s.

Adjusting a HOG harness to fit different exposure suits takes a matter of seconds (move the webbing a few cm through the backplate on each side). Hardly justification for spending $150-350 on a fancy harness, rather than $25 on a simple harness IMHO.

Hey, this BP/W system sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I haven't seen any BP/W setups though, but I'm definetly interested now. What are they exactly? can you suggest me a good one that comes at a descent price for me?

Hey, this BP/W system sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I haven't seen any BP/W setups though, but I'm definetly interested now. What are they exactly? can you suggest me a good one that comes at a descent price for me?

Call Tobin at DeepSea Supply at 626-799-5078 and he will guide you through the process of suggesting a perfect set-up at the best price posiable. His knowledge and customer service is unrivaled and he is far and away the most recommemed resource for such products on this forum. Good luck!

What is your logic from 'progressing' from a complex harness to a simple one? From an expensive harness to a cheap one?

Go for the cheap and easy HOG harness...and, if you really don't like it after a reasonable period of acclimatization, then spend the money to upgrade to fancy one.

If you find you are happy with the cheap HOG harness (most people do), then you've saved yourself $$$s.

Adjusting a HOG harness to fit different exposure suits takes a matter of seconds (move the webbing a few cm through the backplate on each side). Hardly justification for spending $150-350 on a fancy harness, rather than $25 on a simple harness IMHO.

Good point. By the way it's only a $75 differential in price when acquired with the intial set-up. Webbing later on is about $20, if that...

As you can see, opinions on diving equipment cover the whole spectrum. Some might say: "Go with a wing because the set-up is easier to affix to double cylinders. Besides you might want to go Nitrox or other mixed gas within the next year. It's good training to add to your deep wreck and cave courses, especially when you get up as high as having 50 hours underwater time."

I sometimes think that many new divers want to emulate their instructors and tech divers who boast of their deep cave experience. The equipment they use, you don't need. Some divers like to sit around the change room and talk how much bigger there's is! Others just want to look the part. You don't seem to want cool, but practical.

On the other side of the coin, there are some people from the old school that will encourage you to go slow. Have you even completed your training course yet? If so, what equipment did you use? Did it fit properly? Have you discussed equipment with your Instructor? Regardless of the price, equipment usually functions within a specific performance range. Even though you may want to do saturation diving, it's probably not best to go out and buy a submersible chamber, even if you can afford it.

Try different equipment to see what fits best and will meet your needs. If that's the kit you've mentioned, great! Most divers have gone through progressively more expensive gear that meets increased demands as their training improves.

Remember everyone has prejudices on the best type of equipment to buy. Make an informed decision after you try a few types (rental is a good first option to understand what's available). GOOD LUCK WITH THE ADVENTURE!

For the sake of $100...you will be gaining a set-up that will last longer (more rugged), easier to maintain (modular system) and will evolve to match your needs as you progress in your diving.
Which is why the Express Tech is so cool... it's a wing with a harness (no backplate) so I call it a hybrid. It's even easier than a hog harness to doff and don, and adjusts automatically to your body as you don it. It can go from a big guy like me to the tiniest person in mere moments due to this feature. Zeagle even offers weight pockets and a padding kit to make it comfy and easy to use (I don't use either). While I love my BP & Wing, I am finding myself diving this piece of kit an awful lot when I am diving singles.

Back
Top Bottom