Help me choose my gear please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc

Can I attach any accessories to the express tech though? it looks like I can't, and it doenst have pockets either. Thats something I'd want to have.

You can place D-Rings anywhere on it that you like: I have. You can also order weight pockets for it which can be used for anything. I will carry a collecting bag if I am collecting. They usually clip on fine to any D-Ring. I hope this helps.

BTW, what do you keep in your pockets that can't be clipped on?

Hey, this BP/W system sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I haven't seen any BP/W setups though, but I'm definetly interested now. What are they exactly? can you suggest me a good one that comes at a descent price for me?

This is a BP/W for single tank diving...

Eclipse_Harness_02.jpg

It consists of:

A Wing (bladder)
Halcyoneclipsewingonly.jpg

Mounted on a backplate..
halcyon_backplate.jpg

Which is fitted with a harness...
Halcyon_backplate-al-harness_thumb.jpg

Then tank is attached to the backplate with a single tank adaptor (STA)
weighted_STA.jpg

If you want to dive with double cylinders, you upgrade to a larger wing (bladder) and then just remove the single tank adaptor and bolt the backplate directly to a twinset. The backplate and harness are the same.

evolve60mc.jpg
051007-halcyon-04.jpg

As the system is modular, you can shop around to find the most economical components to suit your needs....building a set-up that utilizes different components from different manufacturers. Many components can be bought second hand (Ebay etc). You can also easily construct your own harness (4m nylon webbing, one metal buckle, one crotch strap, 4 d-rings, 6 weight retainers).

Brands that offer the modular components are: DSS, Halcyon, OMS, Diverite, Oxycheq and Agir. Prices vary depending on the model you choose and where you buy it.

Pockets on a bc are unnecessary. Better to have them on your suits. I have a 3 mil, 5 mil, and a drysuit with thigh pockets on each one. Easier to get to, usually larger, and less bulk on the bc. The Oceanic regs are nice but the DVT is an unnecessary feature. It does not extend the life of the reg. Reasonable care by the owner does that. And if you forego the dvt you can save around 100 bucks or more. OH and by the way here's your package at Leisurepro for 674.95 Oceanic Price Buster Package.

I'd try to find a GT3 Non dvt with an Alpha8 octo. Or even an Alpha 8 with the CDX5 non dvt. They seem to be getting tough to locate but a shop can order one for you. LP had them for 149.00 a little while ago and I could kick myself for not getting 2 more of them. The DSS singles rig with a hog harness is not a tech bc. It is a bc as others have stated. It is infinitely adjustable, stable, and you fit it to you. The steel plate will take 6lbs or more off your weight belt and put the ballast where it belongs- over your lungs. It WILL NOT push you face forward into the water unless you make it do that by overinflating it. Tobin's(Deep Sea Supply) and Oceanic's service is second to none. You picked a good beginner setup. But if you plan on going cave, wreck, doubles, etc a BPW will save you money now. Of course there's nothing wrong with lots of gear (I have 5 bc's right now and 8 regs) but had I known about BPW's at least two of those would still be hanging in a shop.

DevonDiver,

It would help if you said what the name of the product is , or gave a link to them, just saying. :)

I have been researching gear for over a week now and I keep comming back to this package I found on amazon.com

Amazon Oceanic Ocean Pro BCD, Alpha 8 Sport DVT Reg, Veo 100nx 3Gauge Computer, Slimline Octo
(copy this and paste in google, then click first search result... sorry about that this forum won't let me post urls!!!)

I like that it comes with a dive computer, and the regulator has good reviews. it also has DVT which friends told me is a good feature of newer gear. And I like the BCD a lot because it doesn't look as bulky as the other models I've seen, which is something I want. also, I think this set just looks cooler than the other ones. I don't have a huge budget (about $800) so I want to get the neccessairy stuff first, the rest I can burrow or rent for now. what are your opinions about this set, and what are your suggestions if you don't think it is a good set.

At $795 that's a great starter package. The Veo 100nx is nitrox or air, so you can use that for a long time to come. The BCD will do just fine for a beginner. Oceanic has been making good scuba gear for a long time. As you progress, you may want to upgrade, or experience different gear and/or configurations, but at least you're getting into the water. Enjoy.

DevonDiver,

It would help if you said what the name of the product is , or gave a link to them, just saying. :)

It's just examples. There are many variants/brands of the products that I have illustrated. To go into too much detail on one specific option/choice would, I am worried, constitute a complete thread hijack. :wink:

Please feel free to PM me, or start a fresh thread if you need specific advice on BP/W only :D

At $795 that's a great starter package. The Veo 100nx is nitrox or air, so you can use that for a long time to come. The BCD will do just fine for a beginner. Oceanic has been making good scuba gear for a long time. As you progress, you may want to upgrade, or experience different gear and/or configurations, but at least you're getting into the water. Enjoy.

I'm with Howard on this one.
The gear you mentioned will work just fine for beginning up to several hundred dives.
At that point when you are more experienced you may have been exposed to differnet gear and seen or even tried different stuff like Back plates /wings, or different BC's.
Just because I rip on Jacket BC's doesn't mean they are bad for all people.

I'm not really on board with trying to slam someone right into a BP/W right off the bat.
I used to be but my thinking has changed. There's a lot to think about and do when you are first certified. Unless you know an instructor personally that can teach you and fast trck you right into the use of more advanced gear one on one, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. For instance, if you are getting certified or got certified through a regular shop or center where the instruction staff only has experience with weight integrated jacket or rear inflate BC's then if someone shows up to class with a brand new BP/W set up they may be a little put off or intimidated by the gear and not know how to help you size it, use it, get out of it, etc. I know at all the LDS's around here not one of them has ever used a BP/W or would know the first thing about them.

And the whole notion of "buy a BP/W right away because some day you might get into tech diving" to me is absurd. If "when" ever shows up you will be buying a hell of a lot more than just a BP/W. The plate will be the cheapest thing you'll buy. You'll need a special doubles wing, several regulators , stage bottles, can lights, scooters, dry suit, smb's , reels/spools, and on and on. Then you pay for training. Think open water was expensive? Try one tech class. By the time you pay to do tech diving correctly and not like a hack you could have enough to put a down on a house.

My opinion, just get the package, it all works fine. Dive the hell out of it and wear it out. Dive it so much that it's all tattered and the fabric turns brown from the sun. Then you'll be ready for more gear.

ZKY sounds reasonable, I think I'll go with that. I really like the set and the gear seems to be a good bang for the buck. I'll be using this for quite some time so I think I'll stick with the setup I have come up with. I might try to get it cheaper somewhere but the gear checks out as good quality stuff. thank you all for helping me out and giving me advice. I'm definetly smarter because of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom