Help me choose my gear please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure about the boyancy, but yes, I swim in warm water.
for now all I need is singles.
travel weight is not an issue.
I don't mind using a weight belt (but does the harness get in the way?)
my budget right now is just under $1000, but I also need to buy my lifesupport with that. so for my BCD I'm looking for something in the price range of 300-400... if that is at all possible. (is it?)
If I can't find a descent setup for my current budget, I'll go with the package that I allready found. better than getting a crappy BP/W, right?
I don't want to look like a christmas tree... thats important. I just want a black wing and harness.

the hollis S series wing with a solo harness and backplate would be perfect I think, but that toghether comes out to over $500, too much for me, since I also need a life support system to go with it. I'd like to get a stainless steel backplate because I read they are better for balancing (weight).

my budget right now is just under $1000, but I also need to buy my lifesupport with that. so for my BCD I'm looking for something in the price range of 300-400... if that is at all possible. (is it?).

It is possible to get a BC in that price range but don't expect too much. I think the worst thing you could ever do would be to settle for lower quality gear when you already have a desire for something better, you'll end up disappointed and broke!

My thought on this topic is budget out several systems, from entery level in your price range to those BP/W setups that are slightly out of your price range. This will allow you to see what perhaps $200 - $300 more may get you.

If one setup was out of my price range but offered much better quality I would consider waiting a couple of months to save up the extra money needed if necessary. After all, this gear should last you years so why rush to buy buy buy today when just a little more time may give you better options.

IMO, the place you should spend the most consideration is your regulator (first stage and both second stages). Once you decide on that you can move forward with your BC selections.

To keep your $1,000 budget you may have to go with entry level regulators. These are often the same regulators that the shops rent out to customers for classes and dives. These models usualy on the higher end of the budget scale due to the fact that they handle excessive usages. Rent a reg from one shop and then another reg from another shop that sells different brands.

With diving experience will come a personal preference. You would develope this until you start trying different gear out. Some brands will fit like a glove and others won't.

I get that your money is eating a hole in your pocket but the best advice I can give you is to try out gear before making your decision.

I'm not sure about the boyancy, but yes, I swim in warm water.
for now all I need is singles.
travel weight is not an issue.
I don't mind using a weight belt (but does the harness get in the way?)
I don't want to look like a christmas tree... thats important. I just want a black wing and harness.

from what you describe, a stainless steel BP with 25...35 lbs wing and Hogarthian harness should serve you well.
No problem to combine weightbelt with harness, that's in fact the "original" Hogarthian or DIR setup.

my budget right now is just under $1000, but I also need to buy my lifesupport with that. so for my BCD I'm looking for something in the price range of 300-400... if that is at all possible. (is it?)
If I can't find a descent setup for my current budget, I'll go with the package that I allready found. better than getting a crappy BP/W, right?
the hollis S series wing with a solo harness and backplate would be perfect I think, but that toghether comes out to over $500, too much for me, since I also need a life support system to go with it. I'd like to get a stainless steel backplate because I read they are better for balancing (weight).

It will be difficult to find a good quality new BP/W setup for 300-400, I don't know one.
The best cost-performance ratio setups come, to my knowledge, from DSS.
They get you started at USD460, my recomm. would be stainless BP, 26lbs torus wing (very streamlined) or 30lbs LCD wing (4 inches wider, 4lbs more lift), hog harness.

Another consideration is to buy used.
There, my recommendation is to decide exactly what you want, and look for a setup in good condition from any of those brands: DSS, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, Halcyon, Hollis, Zeagle.
I have never heard any of them making bad gear, so you can't go wrong unless you fall for the wrong setup such as a doubles wing with 60lbs lift. :wink:

With "life support" I think you mean the regulator & SPG? My recommendation is to buy a basic model of any of the global brands. They are all good these days, and perfectly adequate for your style of diving (recreational depths, warm water, single tanks).

And you probably want a computer too, as most new divers today.

All things considered, I think you will have a difficult time to get a full NEW setup with BP/W for 1000USD.
It can be done, though, if you choose entry level brand products.
For example:

DSS BP/W: USD 460.- https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?&page=rig_configurator

Aeris A1 reg & Octo: 215,- http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AERA...eld=Relevance&DescSort=0&Description=on&Hit=1 Aeris A1 Octopus

Genesis Resource Console: 265,- Genesis Resource Pro Computer Console, CG2209

1mm Jumpsuit: 60.- http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_3059/Context_980/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/BLR1JM.html?Hit=1#

Total: 1000.-

Not saying you should buy exactly the setup above, just to illustrate that it can be done. While all this gear certainly will work and get you wet, I am sure you will end up doing your own research, build comparison lists, ask more questions here and there, and most likely spend more money. But by then you probably have saved up more :)

Yes, the package deals we discussed earlier are cheaper and include a better regulator. But they don't come with a BP/W. And yes, they are much better than buying cheap off-brand stuff.

If you don't have it yet:
don't forget you need a decent mask (HERE I do suggest to go to a LDS, a mask must fit and is much more directly determining your joy under water than most of the other gear) as well as fins. Quickly another USD100...200.-\

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom