Help keep a newbie from getting reamed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm new to diving and this board, but so far I've learned that there are a couple of topics that people are, to put it mildly, extremely passionate about.

For example:

1. "Octo vs. integrated octo/inflator, which is better?"
2. Brand loyalty, i.e. Saying "My Atomic is better than your Scubapro, is better than Poseidon, is better than Atmos. . . etc.

What are some other topics I should be aware of so I don't end-up blindly walking into the middle of a crap storm?

P.S. sorry about the "from from" in the thread title, my finger has a stuttering problem.

Spare-Air has got to be among the worst
Dumping on PADI (Put Another Dollar In) etc.

One of my first posts was about taking lessons at an LDS, and I was accosted by someone who felt it should only be taught at college. I was accused of being anti intellectual and everything else. Tho, I will not avoid any topic that I feel I need to ask a question or make a comment. No matter how high and mighty some may think they are. Keep posting whatever it is you want, you never know from who you might recieve help, or for who you may help.

ka.gif

L.D.S. vs On Line Stores (not a religion discussion)

M.O.F. (As in: Are you one of those Moffers?)

Snorkels- is it okay to have a long pink one?

BC's: BPW, Jacket, or Horse Collar?

Mask Defog: Ajax or Prell?

Cruise Ship Diving: Should I do it or just buy the video?

Buying my gear: Is eBay safe or should I get my life support gear from out of that cardboard junk box at the LDS?

My next step: Should I get my DM in paradise instead of the quarry? How much money can instructors make at Club Dread?

I can't believe you couldn't use the search feature to find answers to your questions!!! This must have been asked a gazillion times before!!!!

How could YOU?!?!

Just kidding:D

Welcome to the board it's like a recurring family reunion :rofl3:

ka.gif

L.D.S. vs On Line Stores (not a religion discussion)

M.O.F. (As in: Are you one of those Moffers?)

Snorkels- is it okay to have a long pink one?

BC's: BPW, Jacket, or Horse Collar?

Mask Defog: Ajax or Prell?

[B]Cruise Ship Diving[/B]: Should I do it or just buy the video?

Buying my gear: Is eBay safe or should I get my life support gear from out of that cardboard junk box at the LDS?

My next step: Should I get my DM in paradise instead of the quarry? How much money can instructors make at Club Dread?

Whats that about?

Tom

Basically just about any equipment or agency topic on the board can result in a flame war. How carefully crafted these wars are depends on the skill of the poster. Some can be very educational, and worth reading.

Welcome to :sbcom: a place where avid divers hang out when they are NOT diving (which unfortunately for most of us, is most of the time).

If you can stand it, though, there are some good points in those "discussions". Weed out the insults and see what makes the most sense to you.

A good thread is what did you buy that you regret?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/114279-what-did-you-buy-you-regret.html

I wish I had a resource like this when I was new.

I agree 100% with this, I had to read thru a few nasty little comments, for wich I fired back and wish I hadnt now, but there is a lot to learn from most of the answers you get, and I think you'll find that most of the people on here are very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom