Help in Converting a Filter Tower to a Coalescer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David, The price for the one I sold to Mike is not relavent as it was the only one I had.
I do have some other models of moisture traps and filters for sale.
If you describe what you need ,I'll see what I have to fill the requirement
Jim Shelden

Hi Jim,
I have an Aerosub 6000 with a Coltri MCH-6 compressor. It came with a Mako final filter, but my original coalescer can't be used due to some damaged threads. I need a moisture seperator to replace it, but I checked your website and didn't see any listed. Can you send me some info and prices on what is available for a compressor in my size range?

David, I have cylinder which has a coalescer chamber in the lower section and a repackable cartridge in the upper section. The repackable cartridge is usually packed with Linde 13x and provides very dry air . This unit is supplied to scuba, paint ball and air gunners with very good results. With this single cylinder and compressors pumping less than 5 CFM, we get grade "E" breathing air ( the cartridge pack uses Linde 13X, hopcalite and activated charcoal for scuba applications) Compressors with up to 12 CFM use two of the filter cylinders. These are shown on my web site near the bottom. Prices start at $129 /cylinder.
Jim Shelden

David, I have cylinder which has a coalescer chamber in the lower section and a repackable cartridge in the upper section. The repackable cartridge is usually packed with Linde 13x and provides very dry air . This unit is supplied to scuba, paint ball and air gunners with very good results. With this single cylinder and compressors pumping less than 5 CFM, we get grade "E" breathing air ( the cartridge pack uses Linde 13X, hopcalite and activated charcoal for scuba applications) Compressors with up to 12 CFM use two of the filter cylinders. These are shown on my web site near the bottom. Prices start at $129 /cylinder.
Jim Shelden

That's a reasonable price. I had seen that on your website, but didn't realize it was a coalescer also. It sounds like just what I need. If it will produce "E" grade air, then with my Mako final filter with LF cartridge, I should be producing OCA. Or will it work that way?

Now I just have to sell a few items on ebay so I can buy it:D

Dave, I doubt that Jim is in a position to guarantee "OC" air. IMO, if you replace your old coalescer with the hybrid coalescer/filter and add the triplex canister in series you could come close enough. I would pack the coalescer/dryer with 13X followed by the MAKO/LF filter canister. Other variations are possible.

Dave, I have test results on my filters from TRI air testing on compressors for the Wichita Fire department. TRI does not allow any reproduction of their test reports. Air is tested to NFPA 1500 2002 edition and results are as follows for a 2 filter unit: O2 (volume %) - 20.7 ; CO (ppmv) - 1.5 ; total gaseous hydrocarbons (ppmv) - 5.7 ; CO2 (ppmv) - 350 ; oil mist(mg/m3) - <0.15 ; particulate (mg/m3) - <0.15 ; water (dew point 0F) = -83 ; Odor (pronounced) - none .
All reading are considerably below specification limits.
Dennis, comments please
Jim Shelden

Jim, those data meet one or more of the generally accepted standards for oxygen compatible air. The gaseous hydrocarbon content is way down. Oil mist content looks excellent. Personally, I would call it "OC" air without hesitation. At this point, we need to hear more about the setup involved in the sampling; eg, what filter canisters, type media and compressor output.

OXYGEN COMPATIBLE AIR: AN OVERVIEW

At this point, OCA isn't a necessity for me. I was merely speculating that with all the filtration I'll have, I should be pretty close to OCA. I'm just going to be filling a few personal tanks to start with. I want to get more comfortable with filling tanks before I venture into the world of "voodoo gas"

Dennis,
I used the standard test kit supplied by TRI for the past 15 years. The test kit is sent to me when testing is planned. Each kit is certified and has provisions for compressor size by controlling oriface and flow pressure using certified gauges.
The two canisters tested were my accumulator/filter set up with the 1st unit filled (repackable) with Linde 13X and the 2nd unit (repackable) filled with 1 in of linde 13X, 1 inch of Hopcalite, and 3.5 inches of activated charcoal. The compressor was a 6 cfm Noah Howden (my build) pumping at 1500psi with a bypass valve to stabilize flow and pressure.
I conducted the testing as an indepentant agent for the Wichita Fire dept. for 15 years and the testing procedure was as required by the indepandant Laboratory.
Additional questions
Jim Shelden

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom