Options For Replacement Filter Towers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SvUinen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning all,
I recently picked up an old 1989 Poseidon P100 compressor, it has an odd filter tower on it (I think it's the same as the Bauer Novus). Previous owner gave me the number for an LF filter but it was out of stock. I took the compressor over to the local dive shop to go through it before I run it and they pointed out that the OEM Bauer filter for that stack is carbon only. I called filter techs and they said the LF filter with AC and MS had been discontinued (probably why he was selling it lol). So the shop suggested I get a replacement tower and fill this one with glass marbles and use as a mechanical separator. They are currently looking through their stock to see if they have a used filter tower and I decided to take a look around for options. I ran across the nuvair add-on kit for the Coltri compressors and it looks like a good option but its just so cheap compared to everything else I've looked at (new/used triplex, LF systems, etc.) am I missing something? I know typically you get what you pay for but it says it comes with the original coltri filter housing... MCH3-MCH6 Filter Tower Add-On Kit

Questions:
Any opinions on what to fill the existing tower with to use as a water separator? I know its out of date but the compressor doesn't seem to have been used much and it would be nice to have the additional water removal as I'm running in the Keys.

Does anyone have experience with the nuvair add-on for the coltri? I know I'd have to retrofit with different lines to my Poseidon but this isn't a big deal.

Besides LF and Bauer are there any other towers I should be looking at? I'd be interested in one of the ones @frogman62 was making but it appears he has retired. If anyone is selling something used please shoot me a message.

Thanks!
Christian

That add on filter is basically what you get on a Coltri MCH6, which many people have no problem with but it doesn't last a huge amount of time. For not much more money, you could get a Coltri maxifilter which is a lot bigger. Would still need to add a pressure maintaining valve to get it working well. it is a fair bit bigger though

I had a very old Bauer compressor that had a mechanical water separator, then a tiny purification filter. As it had a good water separator, I continued to use that, but then repacked the OEM filter (was a pre-cartridge style) with 13x molecular sieve (like this: Molecular Sieve - don't get eBay crap out of China, it is potentially dangerous), then added a MAKO 10" tower (Jim Shelden supplied) using three component media. I don't know if I'd do this if you don't have a separator element....

Jim told me he got his parts from Nothshore Compressor, but you may need to talk with them as I don't see the individual parts. You could also contact Jim. He is retired, but still answers questions. Just doesn't build/sell stuff anymore.

You have already been looking... Something like this is a complete solution:

good luck.

Comps are just a hot spinning in oil thing belching fumes

a good filter setup is good

Also bare in mind that aluminum towers are generally recommended to be replaced at 15years. They can't be hydro'd obviously so no real way to check them. Please be careful with used towers....

I have a Kidde 4.2 compressor and was using the Bauer P21 filter, but it had issues, so I replaced it with 2 of the Coltri filters: Coltri MCH6 Filter Canister/Body

I put this cartridge in the first tower:

And this one in the 2nd:
Breathing Air Filter Cartridge for MCH6

Total cost, including cartridges was around $350 USD

I have a Kidde 4.2 compressor and was using the Bauer P21 filter, but it had issues, so I replaced it with 2 of the Coltri filters: Coltri MCH6 Filter Canister/Body

I put this cartridge in the first tower:

And this one in the 2nd:
Breathing Air Filter Cartridge for MCH6

Total cost, including cartridges was around $350 USD
I'm assuming that that that is ONLY the tube body with no caps or fittings, correct? And you bought the add-on kit: MCH3-MCH6 Filter Tower Add-On Kit

Do you happen to have dimensions on the whole assembly (Length & dia.)?
I didn't see an explicit repackable option, have you explored that?

I could put two of the full add-on kits ($310) in series as you did for significantly less than a bare 15" tower.

Unless I want to have a seperate, detachable filter assembly, 15" is close to my max practical length.

I’ll post pictures in the morning.
I did get caps with the tubes, and ordered a cap with a threaded hold for a gauge as well.

One thing to take into consideration is the cf that the filter can process. I didn't see all the specs but a smaller filter will need to be changed more. I would check out the cost per cf based on different filter towers vs just the cost of the tower.

One thing to take into consideration is the cf that the filter can process. I didn't see all the specs but a smaller filter will need to be changed more. I would check out the cost per cf based on different filter towers vs just the cost of the tower.
I've been considering that too. I noticed that Nuvair states a maximum operation life of 6 months - I'm assuming due to the Hopcalite. With my likely use (it is just me), time not volume would be the more likely limiting factor and cost/unit will outweigh cost/cuft.

Now, portability is also a big factor. I'd like to be able to mount the filtration and keep it within the frame boundary - at least vertically. If the big boat dream ever comes through and I'm diving every day, I can always substitute or add a big bulkhead-mounted 24-35" tower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom