Options For Replacement Filter Towers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been considering that too. I noticed that Nuvair states a maximum operation life of 6 months - I'm assuming due to the Hopcalite. With my likely use (it is just me), time not volume would be the more likely limiting factor and cost/unit will outweigh cost/cuft.

Now, portability is also a big factor. I'd like to be able to mount the filtration and keep it within the frame boundary - at least vertically. If the big boat dream ever comes through and I'm diving every day, I can always substitute or add a big bulkhead-mounted 24-35" tower.
I will admit I'm not the smartest guy out there, but if the filter tower is left pressurized I can't see how there's a life span of 6 months? There would be nothing inside the tower to filter if left untouched?

I could be wrong.

Here’s my setup. The towers are 12” high and 2” diameter. I have a desiccant filter in the first tower, breathing air filter in the second.
There’s a check valve immediately before the towers, a PMV and a pressure relief valve after them.
I just ordered a visual moisture/C0 indicator 585 Visual Indicator
Next is to fabricate a support bracket for the plumbing that is hanging from the second tower, as the weight will likely cause a fatigue fracture sooner or later.

I haven't investigated repacking options yet.

The black hose between the towers isn't ideal; I had a local shop attempt to fab a SS line, but they totally screwed up, despite 2 attempts. they cross-threaded the fittings in each tower and failed to even attempt a decent 37 degree flare on the line. I had to re-engineer the fitting with larger ones and picked up the shortest 5000psi flex hose that my local supplier had on hand with JIC fittings.

Attachments

• F1496BEF-8EF6-404C-801D-A378F552AC74.jpeg
    F1496BEF-8EF6-404C-801D-A378F552AC74.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 88
  • B23F7C10-1061-45C0-98AD-566B60AC5F54.jpeg
    B23F7C10-1061-45C0-98AD-566B60AC5F54.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 85
Also bare in mind that aluminum towers are generally recommended to be replaced at 15years. They can't be hydro'd obviously so no real way to check them. Please be careful with used towers....
Holy SHITE!!! So the one I'm using that's 47 years old might be a real problem.

Here is the filter in my tower. It's supposed to filter 20,000cf of air at optimal temps (would be temp seen by tower, NOT intake temps). I have read to figure ~ 18 degree rise over ambient. I really try to keep temps below say ~ 50f, but that's harder in the summer. I can replace these for ~ $70. It's from American Airworks in VA. Was something like $450 w/filter.

Someone shared a really great spreadsheet for tracking filter life based on intake temp and hours ran. Was it @rhwestfall? It's awesome because if I pump at say 40f I see an increase in efficiency as opposed to 65f.

I would share it, but I'd like the maker to either give the blessing or share himself. I attached a picture.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 77
  • X542442-Dimensions.jpg
    X542442-Dimensions.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 79
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 64
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 59
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 52
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    111.9 KB · Views: 84
Holy SHITE!!! So the one I'm using that's 47 years old might be a real problem.
if it's that old it is quite possibly steel in which case probably less of a problem but if it's aluminum then I wouldn't be in the same room while it's filling. That's a lot of pressure cycles

Here’s my setup. The towers are 12” high and 2” diameter. I have a desiccant filter in the first tower, breathing air filter in the second.
There’s a check valve immediately before the towers, a PMV and a pressure relief valve after them.
I just ordered a visual moisture/C0 indicator 585 Visual Indicator
Next is to fabricate a support bracket for the plumbing that is hanging from the second tower, as the weight will likely cause a fatigue fracture sooner or later.

I haven't investigated repacking options yet.

The black hose between the towers isn't ideal; I had a local shop attempt to fab a SS line, but they totally screwed up, despite 2 attempts. they cross-threaded the fittings in each tower and failed to even attempt a decent 37 degree flare on the line. I had to re-engineer the fitting with larger ones and picked up the shortest 5000psi flex hose that my local supplier had on hand with JIC fittings.
Thanks for that!

They really are small ... smaller than I thought, but too big to be fit inside my frame. 😟
And the 45 degree exit could be a bit of a complication. What thread spec are the fittings if you remember offhand?

Now I'm wondering how big the MaxiFilters are ...

I have a Kidde 4.2 compressor and was using the Bauer P21 filter, but it had issues, so I replaced it with 2 of the Coltri filters: Coltri MCH6 Filter Canister/Body

I put this cartridge in the first tower:

And this one in the 2nd:
Breathing Air Filter Cartridge for MCH6

Total cost, including cartridges was around $350 USD
What kind of life are you getting out of your filter setup? I'm tinkering with an old Cornelius and looking at filter options.

Thanks for your time.

Here is the filter in my tower. It's supposed to filter 20,000cf of air at optimal temps (would be temp seen by tower, NOT intake temps). I have read to figure ~ 18 degree rise over ambient. I really try to keep temps below say ~ 50f, but that's harder in the summer. I can replace these for ~ $70. It's from American Airworks in VA. Was something like $450 w/filter.

Someone shared a really great spreadsheet for tracking filter life based on intake temp and hours ran. Was it @rhwestfall? It's awesome because if I pump at say 40f I see an increase in efficiency as opposed to 65f.

I would share it, but I'd like the maker to either give the blessing or share himself. I attached a picture.
What is the part number on that filter type? I looked at the website but didn't find anything like that. Would you happen to have a link to what you bought?

Thanks.

What is the part number on that filter type? I looked at the website but didn't find anything like that. Would you happen to have a link to what you bought?

Thanks.
I can't find an actual model #, but you can order direct from Mr. Randy at American Airworks. With current pricing I would think you'd be in the ballpark of $450-$475.

Filter is model # X542442

With the spreadsheet I have I've pumped 2,340cf in the last 3 months and I've only used a little under 11% of my filter. (That's based on temp+ increase over ambient).

It's a big tower, but overall way less expensive than alternatives. Like .003 cents / cf

I never saw your tag to me....

I don't care if you share it. No guarantee attached to it...

Keep in mind the curve I fit the equation to was for the Bauer P0 cartridge data. I don't know if it translates to others...

Back
Top Bottom