Help.. Compass Point vs. Cobalt Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read all I can on these two dive resort but can't make up my mind which to go to.
I have never been to Grand Cayman so this will be my first experience. I'm going to dive and photo so nightlife isn't a priority to me but total isolation isn't my thing either. Just good diving, a dive op that lives up to its word, good vis for photography and pleasant staff at the dive resort.

One big thing for me is crowded dive boats. Don't like, don't want. Both say they limit the number of divers on their boats but I know how that can change if the situation changes.. no cattle boats for me.. period !!
My definition of a cattle boat is anything from an overloaded small boat to and overloaded big boat.

I would like to book a 10 day trip between late July to mid August. They both seem to have plenty of space so that isn't a problem.

Both operations seem excellent with great dive operators and reviews. Both have some different options that are equally appealing. Here are some..

Cobalt Coast has shore diving at two locations but Compass Point doesn't

Compass Point offers afternoon boat dives that makes up for no shore diving.

(since I am a single diver and would need a buddy the afternoon boat dives are appealing to me if I can't hook up with a buddy. Since I do a lot of photography, finding a buddy to hang while I photo is sometimes an understandable problem. I do a lot of shore diving by myself but that isn't allowed in Cayman)

Cobalt Coast offers the option to hire a buddy / dive guide which is a good option also for the shore diving and photography so no afternoon boat dives equals out.

Compass Point is a bit less expensive and also offers a vehicle in their price, Cobalt Coast doesn't.

Cobalt Coast offers a full meal plan but having a full kitchen at both places sort of offsets this option.

The plus and minus of both resorts goes back and forth and always seem to cancel each other out to be equal.. that is why I'm having a difficult time choosing.

If anyone has been to one or both (the good and the bad) I would appreciate any help making my decision.

Any suggestions pertaining to either of the above resorts would be helpful.

Thanks !!

Last edited:
I've been to both, At CC in December. Both were great ops, no complaints about either one. I think you have more options at CC, 2 shore dive sites at hand and more diversity of boat dives. Of course, we had some weather in Dec which squashed some shore dives. But they brought the boats to the south, so we got to dive that side as well.

We cooked in the room at CP, did the meal plan at CC. Food was awesome and we gained weight at CC. Food was pretty expensive in the stores, so be ready if you think you will save a lot by cooking.

I think the room was definitely a little nicer at CP, but that's not really a driver for me. The mattress was too hard at CC, but I am picky that way. Both rooms faced the water, CP had a little deck or lanai. CC has stairs etc in the way of the view.

Atmo is more dive resort at CC, more condos were you go dive at CP. Depends on whether you want to socialize or be left alone. You will make friends and find dive buddies easier at CC, IMHO.

I'd be happy to return to either, but I would pick CC - all things being equal.

PS It's a pretty long drive (but not hard) to get to CP in the rental car. CC comes to pick you up. If you want to go to restaurants and stuff, you'll be burning some gas. There's not much on the east side where CP is located.

Ravzie makes some excellent points. I've never been to CP but we dove CC two weeks ago (don't stay there, we have a timeshare elsewhere.)

Food at the grocery store is expensive, but we were averaging US$40.00 for 2 for lunch and $80.00 for two at dinner (Tiki Beach was US$85.00 per person for dinner but an excellent place.) Gas is US$7.00 per gallon so the fact that CC will shuttle you between there and Lighthouse for free is nice. The food at CC is excellent and less expensive that on 7 mile beach or closer to Georgetown. I wish I could exchange my timeshare for a week at CC. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Great folks at DiveTech and the reef from shore is beautiful. I promise you will be pleased with Cobalt Coast. Compass Point, I don't know about. Have a great trip. BTW: they said October is the best time on the north side (CC) because the seas lay down.

I've been to both, At CC in December. Both were great ops, no complaints about either one. I think you have more options at CC, 2 shore dive sites at hand and more diversity of boat dives. Of course, we had some weather in Dec which squashed some shore dives. But they brought the boats to the south, so we got to dive that side as well.

We cooked in the room at CP, did the meal plan at CC. Food was awesome and we gained weight at CC. Food was pretty expensive in the stores, so be ready if you think you will save a lot by cooking.

I think the room was definitely a little nicer at CP, but that's not really a driver for me. The mattress was too hard at CC, but I am picky that way. Both rooms faced the water, CP had a little deck or lanai. CC has stairs etc in the way of the view.

Atmo is more dive resort at CC, more condos were you go dive at CP. Depends on whether you want to socialize or be left alone. You will make friends and find dive buddies easier at CC, IMHO.

I'd be happy to return to either, but I would pick CC - all things being equal.

PS It's a pretty long drive (but not hard) to get to CP in the rental car. CC comes to pick you up. If you want to go to restaurants and stuff, you'll be burning some gas. There's not much on the east side where CP is located.

Thanks for the reply Ravzie, good points I hadn't thought about. Not have been to Grand Cayman I don't want to be so far away that I can't get the lay of the island.
I did a Google Maps of the island and you are correct, not much way out at CP.

The other thing is that I don't mind cooking but since I do all my cooking at home I like to be waited on when I go on a dive trip. It is nice to have the option at both though for lunch or early morning coffee.

I do like the dive resort atmosphere and always come back after making new friends, just not a party guy is what I meant.

Ravzie makes some excellent points. I've never been to CP but we dove CC two weeks ago (don't stay there, we have a timeshare elsewhere.)

Food at the grocery store is expensive, but we were averaging US$40.00 for 2 for lunch and $80.00 for two at dinner (Tiki Beach was US$85.00 per person for dinner but an excellent place.) Gas is US$7.00 per gallon so the fact that CC will shuttle you between there and Lighthouse for free is nice. The food at CC is excellent and less expensive that on 7 mile beach or closer to Georgetown. I wish I could exchange my timeshare for a week at CC. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Great folks at DiveTech and the reef from shore is beautiful. I promise you will be pleased with Cobalt Coast. Compass Point, I don't know about. Have a great trip. BTW: they said October is the best time on the north side (CC) because the seas lay down.

I've heard the food is very expensive on GC so the AI food plan at CC sounds pretty reasonable, especially if it is good. I never thought about the $7.00 gas prices but even if I had a vehicle I probably wouldn't be burning that much for 10 days, especially since I don't need a big vehicle. Would probably want a vehicle for either place just to cruise the island since it is my first time there.

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated information !!

Have not stayed at Compass Point but have dived with Ocean frontiers several times. Have stayed at CC once and dived there numerous times.
IMHO the dives around the East End are the best that Cayman has to offer, simply stunning. But I like shore diving and feel more at home at Cobalt Coast, so that would get my vote.

azscubadude:
I would like to book a 10 trip between late July to mid August.
Not sure what that meant, going for 10 nights? Consider doing both. One time we did 5 nights at CC, and 5 on the East End diving with Ocean Frontiers (but stayed at the Reef rather than Compass Point as CP had barely opened.) For only a week I don't like to waste time changing places, but for10 nights I thought it made a good combo. A little like spending half the trip on Little Cayman but without messing with the inter-island flights.

Ocean Frontiers will allow you to dive solo if you bring a pony bottle and a reg for it. I'm not sure of DiveTech's current attitude on that, but I doubt they will force a buddy upon you so you are, in effect, diving solo whether they acknowledge it expressly or not.

OF does 4 dives every day. DiveTech does 3 (or 2 on some days) but offers unlimited shore diving.

When the weather allows for diving on the N Wall, the diving is great at both dive ops. When it does not (a frequent occurrence), I prefer the E End sites to the rather tired West side sites.

BTW: they said October is the best time on the north side (CC) because the seas lay down.

October is no better than any other time from March 15 or so to Nov. 1. On any given day, you MAY be able to dive the N Wall but don't count on it. The period from Nov. 1 to March 15 is windier and you probably won't get to the N Wall at all with any of the regular dive ops. (Some of the old-time Caymanian captains will take you out though.)

I haven't stayed at CP, but have been to CC three times. We'll be there next week for the fourth ... and the Fourth. I love shore dives and night dives. My wife (and dive buddy) often prefers not to do either. I have never had a problem finding a dive buddy at CC for afternoon shore dives or night dives.

And, I've never felt crowded on the Divetech boats, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom