What do i need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HiterSixOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Planning a trip to Bonaire in November 2024. Yep, we get way ahead of the curve.

My wife doesn't dive, but I do.

Comparing resorts at this point. Obviously, being a solo diver I'll need a buddy or do boat dives.

What resorts would be friendly (amenities) to a non-diver and diver alike? What resorts offer a buddy board? How are the boat dives compared to the shore diving? I'd like to experience both in Bonaire.

Currently I am a certified PSD and will be taking my own recreational gear.

If there's any questions fire away and thanks in advance. I've looked at the other threads and still had some questions.

Planning a trip to Bonaire in November 2024. Yep, we get way ahead of the curve.

My wife doesn't dive, but I do.

Comparing resorts at this point. Obviously, being a solo diver I'll need a buddy or do boat dives.

What resorts would be friendly (amenities) to a non-diver and diver alike? What resorts offer a buddy board? How are the boat dives compared to the shore diving? I'd like to experience both in Bonaire.

If there's any questions fire away and thanks in advance. I've looked at the other threads and still had some questions.

I'm a VRBO type so no info on the newer resorts, I'm pretty sure I saw buddy boards at Cpt Dons, and Buddy's. The new Delfins resort looks nice, with stuff for non divers. Dive friends has some kind of system to help single divers out as well I think. Boats you can always tag along with the guide.

You could always get her certified, Bonaire is an excellent choice for that.

I'm a VRBO type so no info on the newer resorts, I'm pretty sure I saw buddy boards at Cpt Dons, and Buddy's. The new Delfins resort looks nice, with stuff for non divers. Dive friends has some kind of system to help single divers out as well I think. Boats you can always tag along with the guide.

You could always get her certified, Bonaire is an excellent choice for that.
She is capable, just not willing. Open water is an uncomfortable environment for her, to a point it would be a safety concern.

I'm no public safety diver; I'm guessing since you are your dive count might be higher than what your profile lists?
Obviously, being a solo diver I'll need a buddy or do boat dives.
Not necessarily true. If you want to only buddy dive, that's fine, and I'm not judging your readiness for solo diving either way, just commenting there aren't a lot of de facto 'scuba police' at the shore diving sites.

For general info., in case it's of use, some threads:

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends

2022 Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - V.I.P. Divers/Aqua Viva Suites

I'm no public safety diver; I'm guessing since you are your dive count might be higher than what your profile lists?

Not necessarily true. If you want to only buddy dive, that's fine, and I'm not judging your readiness for solo diving either way, just commenting there aren't a lot of de facto 'scuba police' at the shore diving sites.

For general info., in case it's of use, some threads:

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends

2022 Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - V.I.P. Divers/Aqua Viva Suites
Dive count is higher. I kind of forgot that is a thing on here. While I don't have the magical blessing of a self reliant diver certification, I am keenly aware of my ability and inabilities.

Most of my diving is in zero visibility, alone, at the end of an umbilical. That being said I respect the environment I'm in, or plan to be in, and I think it would be good to have a buddy.

Another element I enjoy is the conversation after a dive with people whom I shared a dive with.

My expectation of the shore diving sites is that it is just a marked shore entrance and then off you go. Can you confirm or deny this based on your experience? Are there known "regulations" of Bonaire which would cause a hardship by diving solo without a certification card.

One of the resorts I inquired with made a point to state a restriction through them for tank issuance to solo divers (i.e. self reliant diver certification).

My expectation of the shore diving sites is that it is just a marked shore entrance and then off you go. Can you confirm or deny this based on your experience? Are there known "regulations" of Bonaire which would cause a hardship by diving solo without a certification card.
Yes. In the thread on my research notes for Bonaire, I aimed to show what it's like; often about a 1 foot or so step down at the water's edge, then wading out over a variable mix of loose rubble and rough iron shore, don fins waist deep, to conserve air I usually then fin backwards at the surface out to the drop off, turn, execute the dive, head back and so on.

Yes, if you announce you are solo diving, an operator might take issue with you lacking a solo cert. Of course, if asked about it, you might mention you plan to look for a buddy when you head out (and neglect to mention what happens if you don't find one). I imagine 'don't ask, don't tell' goes a long way, but I picked up the SDI Solo Diver cert. to avoid such hassles.

As long as you exit the dive shop grounds with tanks in your pickup truck, you're probably good to go. I've never had anybody hassle me at a dive site about solo shore diving on Bonaire.

That said, you're not the only one for whom the social aspect of buddy diving is a significant concern.

Yes. In the thread on my research notes for Bonaire, I aimed to show what it's like; often about a 1 foot or so step down at the water's edge, then wading out over a variable mix of loose rubble and rough iron shore, don fins waist deep, to conserve air I usually then fin backwards at the surface out to the drop off, turn, execute the dive, head back and so on.

Yes, if you announce you are solo diving, an operator might take issue with you lacking a solo cert. Of course, if asked about it, you might mention you plan to look for a buddy when you head out (and neglect to mention what happens if you don't find one). I imagine 'don't ask, don't tell' goes a long way, but I picked up the SDI Solo Diver cert. to avoid such hassles.

As long as you exit the dive shop grounds with tanks in your pickup truck, you're probably good to go. I've never had anybody hassle me at a dive site about solo shore diving on Bonaire.

That said, you're not the only one for whom the social aspect of buddy diving is a significant concern.
Thanks for the information and your time. It will prove valuable for sure.

I don't think of Bonaire as a place to take a vacation with a non diving spouse. If your spouse is a snorkler or windsurfer it could work but there is not a lot to do for the nondiver or stated another way there are other islands where the diving is just is good but has beaches and nicer topside amenties for the non diver.

I would also take a look at the current regulations for dealing with diving and stony coral disease. Personally, I would pass on Bon until they are no longer in place in Bon or are in place everywhere else. I am just not ready and willing to deal with it a this point.

Diving solo in Bon could be a whole thread by itself and I think there may be several. I don't think anyone at Capt Don's is going to say a thing unless you bring it up. Solo dived off their dock last year as a guest staying there and no one said a thing. I do have the solo cert and carried redundant air. If you bring it up though you invite a myriad of possible responses some of which may be negative. Once you have your tanks though thrown in the back of a truck, I can't imagine anyone saying anything at a dive site along the island, with the possible exception of using a house reef and their house facilities.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your dive trip and post a report.

One of the resorts I inquired with made a point to state a restriction through them for tank issuance to solo divers (i.e. self reliant diver certification).
Which resort was that?

I would be interested to know as well. There are a lot of differently policies and exceptions (written and unwritten). I dive solo regularly on Bon, CUR and GCM. I dive with one OP that has a clear written no solo diving policy. The unwritten exception is if you are solo certified and properly equipped. When I asked them why the written policy makes no mention of the exception, the answer was something along the lines of we don't want to deal with it (checking the card and seeing that they are properly equipped) or encourage it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom