Help choosing a new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bent Benny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone. I have been having some problems with my mask. I have a pretty big nose and my mask has been pushing on my septum. I don't feel it at first, but by the end of a dive the bottom of my nose is pretty sore.

I would like to get a new mask that fits better. I am starting to learn about DIR here on the forum and it is certainly a path I would like to take in the future, as well as implementing what I can now. So I want to make sure that the mask I choose will be within DIR parameters. It needs to have a fairly large nose to fit my big schnoz. My budget is fairly flexible, but I don't want to go spending $500 on a mask right now.

Would it be a bad idea to get a mask online? I was thinking that might be a bad idea because I can't try it on first, but my LDS doesn't really have a large selection of masks.

Do any of you have any recommendations or anything that I should stay away from? Of all the different scuba gear, I think I know the least about masks so help would really be appreciated.

Try Leisure Pro on line store, good exchange program. Cressi Big Eye Mask might work

Personally my preference for mask shopping is doing it in person - that is the only way you can be sure of a fit.

Masks are an extremely personal item and some faces can take dozens of different options before getting it right.

I have the same problem. I have a Tusa (sp?) mask that I bought online and find that the bottom of the mask chafes the bottom of my nose. My nose isn't particularly large (me in the avatar) but it rubs nonetheless. I'll likely be buying another mask but will definitely buy it in a stocking dealer where I can try it on.

I just completed two wreck dives this last weekend and found that my regulator hose seemed to be pulling the reg back on the right side causing my mouthpiece to rub on my right gum. I actually found myself holding my reg with my right hand to hold it away from my right gum. Probably an issue with the way I had my hose routed but will figure it out. The reg is a Scubapro MK25 S600.

I like shopping online but things that require fit - such as masks - I buy in a store. There's no substitute for trying on 15 different masks in a shop to see which one fits best. Otherwise you're playing the lottery. Order, try, doesn't fit - return,Order, try, doesn't fit - return,Order, try, doesn't fit - return etc

Unless you get lucky, you'll be better off in a store.

I like shopping online but things that require fit - such as masks - I buy in a store. There's no substitute for trying on 15 different masks in a shop to see which one fits best. Otherwise you're playing the lottery. Order, try, doesn't fit - return,Order, try, doesn't fit - return,Order, try, doesn't fit - return etc

Unless you get lucky, you'll be better off in a store.
That's what I will have to do. I haven't gotten one yet because I am waiting for a time when I get to another dive shop. My LDS doesn't have much of a selection and none of them fit. No sense trying to find one online when I know my face won't fit many masks.

That's what I will have to do. I haven't gotten one yet because I am waiting for a time when I get to another dive shop. My LDS doesn't have much of a selection and none of them fit. No sense trying to find one online when I know my face won't fit many masks.

I can tell you a few that probably wont work...I have several masks and I have about a pretty much average beak, but the masks I have feel like there isn't a lot of extra "nose room". They fit me and they don't irritate my nose at all, but I really feel like if it was any bigger they probably would aggravate my nose. I have a Paragon {TUSA} an Atomic Venom, a ScubaPro Spectra and a TUSA Freedom HD.
I see you are from Criehaven Island???? Isn't it Criehaven Harbor on Ragged Island?? I was there two years ago, We had Jim Kalloch take us out to Matinicus Rock and he stopped at Criehaven and showed us his house and around the island. Neat place, wish I lived there.

I see you are from Criehaven Island???? Isn't it Criehaven Harbor on Ragged Island?? I was there two years ago, We had Jim Kalloch take us out to Matinicus Rock and he stopped at Criehaven and showed us his house and around the island. Neat place, wish I lived there.
Well if you go by what the charts say, yes it's criehaven harbor on ragged island. If you ask people in this area of Maine what island sits next to matinicus, they will say Criehaven. Some people still call it ragged island or ragged ass, but you don't hear that often.
I really like Jim Kalloch. Were you going to the rock to go puffin watching? You didn't actually land on the rock I assume and just went around it from boat?

Well if you go by what the charts say, yes it's criehaven harbor on ragged island. If you ask people in this area of Maine what island sits next to matinicus, they will say Criehaven. Some people still call it ragged island or ragged ass, but you don't hear that often.
I really like Jim Kalloch. Were you going to the rock to go puffin watching? You didn't actually land on the rock I assume and just went around it from boat?

Yes sir, we did not land and yes, we did see the puffins, but that wasn't the reason for the trip. I had an uncle that was stationed there in the Coast Guard. He was killed when the dory he was rowing in with flipped. He swam for shore but right when he got to the shoreline a wave washed him into a rock head first and knocked him out. He went under and didn't float up for 14 days. One of those cases where the simple use of a life jacket would have saved his life.
I have photos he took of the post office and store on Criehaven...Jim took us there and it looks the same as it did when my uncle was there in 1949. You are right, Jim is a very nice guy...he made the trip very enjoyable. Small world, Jim used to work right down the street from where I live in Maryland. Next time you see please him tell him Martin said "hello"!!!

I'm chiming in late, but here goes anyway... I have a fairly prominent proboscis, myself, and I've had good success with these masks:
* Cressi Big Eyes
* Technisub Micromask
* IST M200

I've also used a TUSA mask in the past, but I don't recall the model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom