Help Attaching SMB to BC please, need idea's!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah my bad on the name. LeisurePro has them for like 56 bucks, its under OMSEDS. Basically its an overpriced piece of nylon with holes in it. surgeical tubing is what you thread through the holes to hold your SMB's (it comes with that) and the bottom has a pouch for their overpriced canister. Mine is mounted to the butt part of my harness using stainless steel rings. I really didn't look at your BC but you can find pouches that have an expandable cord on the outside you can store a marker there. The ABYSS pouch on my rig is that way. Just think you'd have a problem adding pouches to a BC. Take a look at my gallery pics, it shows the OMSEDS with a yellow and red SMB at the bottom of my kit. Hope this helps

Holy Moly! $60

I appreciate the suggestion, but I think I'll just clip it to my D ring and deal with it, that or get some surgical tube and use it as was suggested to tie it to the tank and use the reel line to pull it out when needed.

My LDS found me an Akona (sp?) 6" pony bottle bag, the SMB fit's down into the bag perfectly, and if you clip the finger spool on and set it on top you can hold it in place with the two velcro straps over the top.

Only "problem" is that I have to attach it to the tank band, so we're back to me having the wife's on my back and mine on her back... Oh well, should the worst case happen, we could always get too them.

Opps, almost forgot, anyone know who actually makes this SMB? Where can I go to verify the lift rating, so far I've been told 5 or 6 things

WildCard, can you tell me where you found that 50lb rating?

THanks!

I have some velcro straps attached to the bottom of the back of my BCD (Oceanic Islander) which I use to attach my Halcyon 6' DSMB. It is a good location for the DSMB as it is out of the way and streamlined but easy to reach. I couldn't get bungee cords to work like they would on a backplate but velcro seems a pretty good solution.

rottielover:
Opps, almost forgot, anyone know who actually makes this SMB? Where can I go to verify the lift rating, so far I've been told 5 or 6 things

WildCard, can you tell me where you found that 50lb rating?

THanks!

Anyone know the answers ?

From the Diveriteexpress website, on the nylon mesh sleeve:

We suggest using your choice of either TWO plastic or S/S sex bolts to easily attach the sleeve to the side or bottom of a backplate.

What is a sex bolt?

NJMike:
What is a sex bolt?

I think the PC answer is that they ment "Hex" bolt, friedian(sp?) slip ?

The not so politically correct answer: CENSORED

rottielover:
Anyone know the answers ?

I recently got the same SMB from scubatoys and my previous one was a 50lb OMS SMB that I got from LeisurePro. Lying them side by side, I can definitely see that the Scubatoys version is not only longer (by over a foot), it is over 2 inches wider in circumference. Hence, it definitely has more than 50lbs of lift, probably closer to 75lbs (my guess) assuming a linear correlation between volume of air and lift. If I remember to do this tonight, I could fill both with water and compare the difference, that would be the most accurate measurement aside from going into the water and deploying them.
By the way, you can look into a thigh pocket by Dive Rite (about $40 - attaches to your upper thighs with 1 strap to cummerbund, 2 depth compensating elastic straps to thighs) or the new cargo pouch by XS Scuba (about $27) - they both can accomodate the SMB with room to spare. See links below:
http://www.diverite.com/products/Pro...oductID=BC2761
http://www.divesports.com/mall/xsscuba_acc_BG470cargopocket.asp

Dive safely.

Thank you EvaL!

It's not that I'll be using them to do any lifting soon, but I may start doing some in the future.

Thanks again all for the reply's!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom