Help Attaching SMB to BC please, need idea's!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I purchased these for my wife and I, http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LargeSafety

We also both use the Aqualung Passport BC (similar pic here: http://www.aqualung.com/products/passport.html , this pic is of the new 2007 version of this BC, the wife and I have them from 2 years ago)...

I went to the local "Hobby Lobby" store, and picked up nylon thread and some plastic clips and buckles, thinking I could sew them into the BC pocket's in order to clip in SMB and the dive rite finger spools we have to go along with them.

However, The SMB just barely fits into the bc pocket, and will not fit if the spool is in there.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to stay as stream-lined as possible... I guess we could clip the SMB to one of the D rings on the BC, but that doesn't seem very stream-lined to me.

Anyone have any pic's or suggestions on how to configure my rig to deal with this large SMB ?

P.S. if your wondering about the other pocket, that's for slate, whistle, and eyeglass Pelican case :(

I have the same buoy and I keep it mated with Tobin's 100' stainless finger spool. I just clip it to my lower D-Ring.

It may not be entirely streamlined but for the velocities we are talking about I don't think it matters. Being down there it may represent a catch or entanglement opportunity and I'd rethink it if I were getting into wrecks and stuff.

I also read of divers that clip it off out back, usually to a back plate.

I don't know how experienced you are with shooting a buoy but this may be worth watching.

http://www.divetekadventures.com/Videos/VideoShotBag.htm

Pete

Pete

I just bought this item. Check out the pull dump and make sure the knot is good. Mine popped off on the very first pull i gave it while practicing deployment in the water.

With regards to where to put it: i haven't found a great place for it yet because of its size. As with spectrum, i just put it low, but i'm not using it in any tough situations.

Hey Pete, thanks for the quick reponse. I've actually watched the video several times, the one part I'm not sure about is when it looks like he's wrapping line around a bolt snap too then clip off the spool, seems to me like a tangle (rat's nest) maker if you slip, guess I need to break out the ole' boy scout handbook knot section again :(

Oh and I actually have 0 (zero) experiance with SMB's right now, it's something that my wife and I are going to seek Instructor help with, (we have a "tune-up" pool night scheduled here in a couple of weeks, and then we're going to Bonaire at the end of March/1st week in April, where we will be completing our AOW cert)

Jake - Thanks for your quick response also, I think that's about the only thing I can come up with as well... I did see online, XS Scuba's glue/sew on wetsuit/drysuit pocket. but it doesn't sound quite big enough to hold this SMB...

Another idea I had, was to attach a D ring to the tank band on the back, the idea being that my SMB is on my buddy's (wife) back, and her's is on my back.. However, the problem there is that if the unthinkable were to happen and we were seperated, how would I reach it without taking off the BC, which could be dangerous depending on sea conditions (yes I have a vivid imagination for bad things)...

I'm starting to make my head hurt :) lol

rottielover:
Anyone have any pic's or suggestions on how to configure my rig to deal with this large SMB ?

Try the DIVE RITE QUICK DRAW SLEEVE -$12.00

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/liftbags.shtml#liftsleeve
(you'll have to click on link to see pic. Stupid forum rules won't let me post pic).

"Quick-Draw" Sleeve
Dive Rite Lift and Marking Bags include our Quick-Draw Sleeve for rapid deployment. Also available separately, the "Quick-Draw" Sleeve features all mesh construction for better drainage. The size of the bag carrying pouch is 10" X 5" and the dimensions of the entire sleeve is 11" X 7" overall.
We suggest using your choice of either TWO plastic or S/S sex bolts to easily attach the sleeve to the side or bottom of a backplate. Use two medium quick links to attach the sleeve to the side or bottom of a TransPac

You can attach it also with zip ties. Buy at your local Dive Rite dealer.

Thanks Mike, that there just might to the trick... Now I just have to find a good spot on the Passport BC to mount the Sleeve, looks like it will have a few different possibilities...

rottielover:
Another idea I had, was to attach a D ring to the tank band on the back, the idea being that my SMB is on my buddy's (wife) back, and her's is on my back.. However, the problem there is that if the unthinkable were to happen and we were seperated, how would I reach it without taking off the BC, which could be dangerous depending on sea conditions (yes I have a vivid imagination for bad things)...

I'm starting to make my head hurt :) lol

I have d-rings attached to my tanks for use when I'm in wide-open areas (e.g. not swimming through kelp, wrecks, etc). The kit from Dive Rite Express is really good for this.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/hardware/drings.shtml

See item HW1081P.

If you put the ring on the clamp such that it's on one side of the tank and low (near the boot), you should have no problems reaching this. I'd recommend a large bolt snap on your bag though, so that you can easily work the clip with one hand.

I have in fact placed my marker bag on this d-ring; i just get annoyed sometimes with having something rubbing on my leg.

If you're not actually in need of a marker bag (for underwater hangs), you might consider a smaller surface marker like the Akona safety tube:

http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/express/395.php

It's really small, fits perfectly in a BC pocket when in its little bag, or--because of it's small size--you can clip it off anywhere and won't notice it. If I remember correctly, it's like 3.5 feet tall when deployed. So, it's not as big as the one you bought, but it should probably do the trick. I have both items, each with their own purpose.

rottielover:
Thanks Mike, that there just might to the trick... Now I just have to find a good spot on the Passport BC to mount the Sleeve, looks like it will have a few different possibilities...

my suggestion would be to mount it on the back of the BC beside the tank mount. that way when the tank is one, it'll kinda be hidden in that void there. reach behind you to retrieve. most streamlined way.

be careful since that's an internal bladder bc and not a BPW that where you connect it to the BC fabric will not 'rub' the BC bladder. (or connect it to the tank mount area).

2 pieces of surgical tubing around your cylinder. Roll the SMB up and slide under the tubing. Clip the DSMB to a spool or reel and clip off the reel to a Dring near your hip on the BC.
If you don't have a Dring in a good place, you can add one. There are a number of aftermarket Drings which can be easily attached to the BC.

Another option: I am unfamiliar with the passport, but I once had a Malibu. I was able thread 2 pieces of bungie through the bottom of the hard backpack and carry it like you would with a backplate.

(Presently I use a quick draw sleeve from Dive rite with a plate. The plate give me many options to mount the sleeve.)

While I agree that having more than one SMB may be the way to go, part of the reason for purchasing these "big ones" was the multifunction aspect, it's an SMB, a Saftey Stop Anchor, and a liftbag all in one; in short a multi-tasker. My feeling is that the more gear on your kit that has more than one function, the better, in this way your saving weight and bulk since items will have more than one use.

Splitlip- very interesting idea, I assume that by using surgical tubing, the "plan" with this rig setup would be to tug on the spool line attached to the SMB that's tucked under the tubing, thus "reeling in" the smb when you need it. I'm just not sure that the tubing would hold the SMB in place during entry/exit, for example, giant stride entry or backroll entry, I can envision the smb slipping out from the tubing in such a case.

I'm going to invistigate the "attach to the bottom of the backplate" idea's right now. Be back in a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom