Help Attaching SMB to BC please, need idea's!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're wanting to get one that's an "All in one" that is heavy enough for a lift bag also, then get a Carter bag.

the other ones are less tough and not as well made. OF course the Carters cost more too.

This one is heavy enough for light lifting, I think 5 or 10 lbs. (about all I'd ever probly do doing anyway), if for some reason I'd be doing any other lifting I think that's when it's time to buy a specilized lift bag anyway (50 - 100 lbs. bag's).

I'm still looking at my BC's and they way the plastic back-plate is installed, I'm thinking I could make up some nylon straps with clips that would hold it...

rottielover:
While I agree that having more than one SMB may be the way to go, part of the reason for purchasing these "big ones" was the multifunction aspect, it's an SMB, a Saftey Stop Anchor, and a liftbag all in one; in short a multi-tasker. My feeling is that the more gear on your kit that has more than one function, the better, in this way your saving weight and bulk since items will have more than one use.

Splitlip- very interesting idea, I assume that by using surgical tubing, the "plan" with this rig setup would be to tug on the spool line attached to the SMB that's tucked under the tubing, thus "reeling in" the smb when you need it. I'm just not sure that the tubing would hold the SMB in place during entry/exit, for example, giant stride entry or backroll entry, I can envision the smb slipping out from the tubing in such a case.

I'm going to invistigate the "attach to the bottom of the backplate" idea's right now. Be back in a little bit.
I am talking a 35# or so DSMB. Not a lift bag. Sometimes, people use the terms interchangebly. Time was, they used lift bags as markers. The one you show in the Scuba toys link has to be in the 25# plus range. It will stay with you in the surgical tubing on pretty much any entry. When it is time to use, you just reach behind you, grab the SMB from below the lower piece of tubing and extract it.
If it were to come loose for any reason it is attached to the spool or reel which is attached to you.
I guess maybe I was really thinking DSMB which you would send up from safety stop or deeper. There is no reeling in until you surface.

I attach my small surface marker to the D-ring on my left. I also have a large surface marker that doubles as a lift bag. It came with it's own mesh sleeve that I have attached to the back of my BC with cable ties. I leave the mesh sleeve there even when I'm not taking the big marker. No problems with either one getting in the way.

Yea it's the exact one from that link... you think it would do 25 lbs ? I'm not sure, as I said haven't used it yet... Rolled up it mesures about 10" long and around 2-3" wide (rolled as tight as I could get it).

I'm heading down to the LDS today too see if they have any of those Dive-Rite quick pouch things...

Heck, if NOTHING else, the Passport BC has a built-in mesh bag that folds up into a "lumbar" pouch sewn into the BC, so I could stuff it up there and just rip open the "hook and loop" closure when I need the sausage.

Thanks again for all the reply's, if you a'll think it would be helpful, I'll try to get some pictures of the way I rig this thing into my gallery.

Well shoot, I took the SMB down too the LDS today on my lunch hour, and we tried to stuff it into the Dive-Rite "quick draw" pouch, and it didn't quite fit...

We were able to get it stuffed into the bag, but the velcro wouldn't come together to close (very tight fit).

So I'm back to trying to figure a way to hide it away...

I'm about too the point of giving up and resigning to the fact that'll just have to clip the thing to the D ring on my left side next to my knife and be done with it.

I left the thing with the LDS, they are going to try a few things and get back to me, maybe some fresh eye's will have better luck.

Deep Outdoors also makes SMB sleeves that you may want to check out. I one of their sleeves for mine. As for where to attach it, right behind you length wise might be a good option that you can reach and also remain streamlined.

What about the OMS rapid deployment pack? Not sure how you would attach it to a jacket style BC but I love it on a backplate. It will hold 2 6'SMB's and has a place for the canister if you want it

The SMB show in the link is rated at 50lbs lift. It's a little big and bulky but it can be seen forever. The best part is the dual color. Orange turns dark in dim light and thats where the yellow "shines". Point you light on/in it and you can be seen from space! I went thoough several before getting this one. I dive a BP/W with a leg bag. I keep my reel in the bag and the SMB velcroed on the drop strap for the leg bag. It has a long velcro tie that can be used for holding it in place.

The Chad:
What about the OMS rapid deployment pack?

I tried doing a search for this, and I couldn't find it, do you have a link? Maybe it's called by a diff. name?

Wildcard:
It has a long velcro tie that can be used for holding it in place.

Yea, it's nice, but on my jacket BC there really isn't a "good" spot to put it. I did try using the strap to hold it in place on my right shoulder, but it would get in the way of my 2nd stage (due too the size and bulk of it).

My LDS called and said they found something that might work, I'm heading out there tomorrow to take a look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom