Help! Advice needed on buying "gray market"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have bought online and LDS with good experiences in both, actually bought some stuff from LP without any problems. I negotiated such a good price with divers direct for my BCD/regulator/gauges set that the difference including the shipping with the online shop was not even $100 so I decided to buy locally, now if the difference is good enough, I would not blink to buy online because worst case scenario if it needs a big repair/anual service/etc you had saved the money for that anyways or you might not need any of this and then is money in your pocket. Always compare both options item by item... your final decision might be a combination of both.

bye
ivan

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
I did purchase an Apeks ATX40 combo for my fiance from Dive Inn, but for the price i paid ($209) I couldn't touch one around here. I think local dealers wanted close to $500 for the ATX 50 buy itself with out the octo. Its hard to pass up deals like that.
Financially Irresponsible to pass up a deal like that.

Jeff... I didn't say which LDS hosed me on the reg overhaul. :D

Here's what I have to say about LP and LDS purchases

ATX200 quote from LDS over $680
LP purchase $389

Cobra lds quote over $720
LP purchase price $420

MMII-Ex with YS 60 strobe over $1300
LP purchase price $650

The last purchases I bought from my LDS were spur of the moment, didn't plan on buying so I paid out the nose for.

If time isn't an issue and LP has them in stock I'll buy from them if not then I'll wait untill the last min before haveing to buy at my LDS. I trust the guys to be honest from one store, the other I use cause it's the closest. Both stores that I normaly go to are owned by the same guy. The one that closest by I don't enjoy going to because I think most of the time there full of BS. I don't think about useing them for trips cause the last one I went on the Dive ldr's/divemaster were full of it never called to confirm my seat on the boat and was like pulling teath to get any trip details. On the boat they never once spoke to me, provided any assistance, or even tried to be friendly. They left the customer svc and dive details to the boat crew. They did fill the tanks but every fill I got was a hot fill so I never had a full tank. Nothing like starting a dive with 2700 psi or less with a 3000 psi tank and a dive depth of 80'+ they may as well not been there at all. When the trip was over they filled all there rental tanks and blew off anyone else that brought theres (the entire boat was filled with only this stores customers). It's not like they were using their compressor so they weren't loseing any cost on it. But they made sure the shop rental tanks were filled from the boat. When they passed out the trip comments I make the worst in all spots. I only tipped the dive boat crew and blew off the trip ldr's the store sent. I complained to the Mgr/Owner of the shop and he blew me off as well. This is the same shop I spent $2600 cash on dive gear alone.

geek

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Now how did I miss that insult? I guess I just wasn't looking for one from your direction... but then given the subject I can see why your fur got rubbed the wrong way. :D

Still... my point stands... I purchased a couple of regs from an LDS and I trusted them to treat me right when it came time for service.

My mistake on both counts.... you're right... that wasn't a stellar display of intelligence... but I've learned from my mistakes and haven't repeated either.

But to toss a blanket insult like that. By all means insult the guy that did it. Wow, I mean I never hurt your reg. I wouldn't put silicone in it without charging extra. LOL.

How about I provide some references or something and the next time you could exempt my poor, little, way too honest to make any money shop that tries real hard and uses cristo lube (only a little in the right places) on regs.

I do apologize though I should have attempted to hammer you in a more adult fasion without a direct insult.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I should have attempted to hammer you in a more adult fasion without a direct insult.
...direct or indirect makes no difference to me... insult away to your heart's content.

Actually I meant no insult to you... and surely your customers know what kind of service they get from you.

And I know what to expect around here.

I just wish I could buy overhaul kits for my Apeks regs.

Last year my brother and I bought 4 ATX 100s. The LDS offered us 10% off for a quantity purchase. I talked to Apeks in Britain. They told me they would honor the international warranty if we purchased from Diveinn. If anything major breaks, I can ship it to Britain and get it fixed. I managed to conn a store out of 8 rebuild kits befor they were forced to stop selling them, so I can fix them for many years. I have had excellent service from Diveinn and Leisure pro.

I stopped having my regulators serviced by "professionals" after one broke right after a service because it was done wrong. I am sure there are good techs out there; however, I trust my work more when my life is at risk.
Lloyd

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...direct or indirect makes no difference to me... insult away to your heart's content.

Actually I meant no insult to you... and surely your customers know what kind of service they get from you.

And I know what to expect around here.

I just wish I could buy overhaul kits for my Apeks regs.

Yes my current customers know. I need more customers though and they don't.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Yes my current customers know. I need more customers though and they don't.
I am sure that you are one of the Good Ones.

Perhaps you could start doing mail order regulator service to increase you customer base.

From what I have read of your post it sounds like you do a good job. UP has a good point. Why don't you do service by mail? Scuba Board would be a good place to get advertisment for your services out.
Lloyd

I usually avoid these threads.......
but I can't help myself this time.

Sorry this is so long!!

I want to say up front that I know there are good and bad shops out there. I got in to scuba a little over a year ago. I am a very research oriented person and I also like to own quality gear. I read a lot on the internet, magazines (thanks Rodales) etc. and gained a lot of information. In the process I ran accross Leisure Pro. I made up my wish list and was suprised at the level of quality goods I was able to fit in to my budget.

Wanting to support a local business I went to my LDS. I told them I was wanting to buy my euipment and had done some "research" on the net. They immediately gave me the warranty and support speech. They REALLY stressed proper equipment selection and how their expertise was an absolute MUST in this area. They were extremely forceful about it, but I figured they were the experts. I then told them of the list of equipment I had put together and they said that was a great list of the best stuff they sold.

After having them beat me over the head with the importance of the equipment working together I asked them what modifications I should make to the list. They said "none, that stuff is all good together". I was VERY disapointed. They made such an issue about this, but had just confirmed that a complete novice had put together a great package. Still I pressed on. As I asked more questions it was obvious that I had learned more about the equipment I was considering in a few days on the net than this guy had learned with all his years of expertise. He flat out did NOT know the product he was selling.

About now is when I started noticing price tags. I asked them if price was negotiable and they said no, but that they would through in some free tank fills.

I then made a huge mistake. Now you have to remember I was a complete newbie and had no idea that there was this big LDS vs. Internet war going on. My mistake? I told them I had priced this stuff on the net and that it was dramatically cheaper. I said it in a very polite manner and that is when things got ugly. The guy all but yelled at me and proceeded to ***** me out for 30 minutes.

When I pressed him to at least give me a deal that would make me feel I had met him half way he said no. He said that if they did not charge full price they could not stay in business. His only solution was to offer me cheaper equipment. The Regulator that he offered to sell me was one Rodales had said flat out FAILED in their tests. This is the shop who's advice is vital to my survival? They lost a lot of credibility with that one.

I left with a very bad taste in my mouth and bought ALL of my basic gear from Leisure Pro. They were very polite. They gave me a $50 discount off their already low prices and 50% off shipping. I ordered everything 3 day air and it was here in 2. Everything was as promised.

I was so upset at the guy from the LDS that I called the owner. He was much more polite, but I still picked up on the hostility towards the net.

Warranties and service are important to me, but they have a limit. I paid nearly half as much for everything I got from LP versus the LDS. LP gave me discounts without me asking and the LDS would not give me anything but a few air fills even when I asked.

I am the type of person who likes nice stuff and upgrades constantly as new items come out. I expect that I will replace my equipment every 2-3 years as new and better items come out. At the prices from my LDS that is not possible. From LP it is.

I paid just under $500 for my Cobra w/compass. LDS wanted $900+ w/ NO compass.

I paid $470 for my Seaquest Pro Unlimited. LDS=$800++

I paid $275 for my reg. LDS wanted $600 $325 diferrence pays for more annual services than I will ever use.

$360 for Henderson gold Core. LDS Almost $700.

You get the idea.

For the savings if something does break beyond reasonable repair I can buy the newer and presumably better version and still only be at roughly the cost of what the LDS wants for just one.

Even with all of this I still managed to spend over $2000 at the LDS in less than 2 months and never once got any kind of break.

I am now wanting to get a vytec. I called the only 2 LDS's within a 4 hour drive of me and neither had it in stock. Both would special order it if I paid in advance. Both wanted $1190. Neither would drop one penny from the price. So they have no inventory risk, they gave me no advice on my purchase, and they are simply going to use MY money to order a computer and make a nice mark up. I will be buying it from an online source for $700 and an extra $25 for 2 day delivery. I save the 4 hour drive, gas, and 5% sales tax.

I am by nature a very loyal customer. I participate in several motorized sports and have good relationships with those dealers. I spend a lot of money with them and get amazing service and support. They also realize I am an internet hound and do a lot of my own research and education. Many times they are simply order takers. They recognize this and give me a small discount and good service. That keeps me coming back and has earned them 100% loyalty. I buy NOTHING for those sports from anyone but them!!

I do not think it is our responsibility to support the LDS blindly. They still must be fair in price and give good service. They need to be good business people, or they WILL go out of business. Those that do survive and thrive have recognized this. In some way most of us compete with the net. It has become a fact of life. Of the industries I am familiar with the Scuba industry seems to be the most monopolistic in there practices. How many other industries are so hard nosed about warranties and where you buy their product? Not many.

Sorry for the endless rant.

Back
Top Bottom