Help! Advice needed on buying "gray market"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown, not myself, a woman a few of us were diving with. HAd lots of us try to give her a hand with it, that reg was a real pain in the...
Yeah, she was all to happy to sell it. She didn't give a crap, she didn't pay for it, her daddy did. She thought with the money she'd just buy another. I told her that whoever got it wouldn't be able to get it apart - nor get it serviced, and it could be a real issue....not a care in her eyes unfortunately. She doesn't dive with me anymore.

Interesting post, undah. However, in none of the scenarios you're talking about, does it make sense to me to pay more than twice as much for a top line regulator that cost $650 "gray market".

I cracked the housing on my 2nd stage? I buy a new one for $150.00. Bad technician overtightens a hose fitting and the housing cracks? Then the shop that technician works for replaces it. At most, I pay shipping in that case, and just once.

Even just for the "lifetime parts" warranty that industry people tout, it takes 13 YEARS for that FREEBIE to pay for itself when comparing to the supposed "gray market" price. And for the record, I'm calculating that from $600 regulator savings divided by a generous $45 annual parts fee, though it's probably cheaper.

By the way, undah, your reg-selling former friend sounds like a real jerk.

metridium, the example was saying that the first time round it was torqued too tightly. The next service cracked the housing (or noticed the housing cracked) and the issue is to get a solution.

"Because the LDS monkey screwed up your reg the last time and you don't give second chances?" ...you don't give second chances??

Former friend....no way, jose.

Let's not call her a friend, and she's not a jerk, she's a REAL ASS! (more than that incident of not caring about others) Problem is, I don't know where it is??...someone out there has that mess she sold.

I don't see the $600 savings difference unless you're talkign Ti regs or something? (This was started with 1st/2nd stage I believe).

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
.... the regs came back loaded with silicone and I had to have them cleaned for O2 service subsequently... at another shop.

I haven't purchased regulators at an LDS since... I only trust mail order now. Regulators are far to important an item to be purchasing from an LDS.

Are you intentionally insulting all LDS or just some. Some of the shrewder folks I know make sure they know what work is going to be done and what it's going to cost before agreeing to it. Maybe there should be a minimum IQ requirement in order to own a reg.

undah20 once bubbled...
I don't see the $600 savings difference unless you're talkign Ti regs or something? (This was started with 1st/2nd stage I believe).

Let me guess, you're one of those guys who gets "key man" deals and hasn't seen a retail price in a long time, right?

Well, I'm talking about an Apeks ATX200 1st and 2nd stage, with an ATX50 backup. The quote that I got from two LDS for that was over $1,300 bucks without the octo. I ended up buying mine from SimplyScuba for $600 shipped, though I could have gotten it cheaper from LP if they had it in stock. The reg is not titanium, but it is Apeks current "top of the line" regulator, and yes the price difference IS that great.

And before someone brings it up, yes I'm aware that a shop is often willing to negotiate on price, and that when you buy more stuff from them you always get a discount or free fills, etc.. Well, no thanks. When I'm shopping, I'm there to do business, not to play a game.

For the record, regarding ethics, I DO NOT check out products at an LDS and buy them elsewhere. When buying online or over the phone, I prefer to always buy from someplace that offers at least a 2 week guarantee.

undah20 wrote...
metridium, the example was saying that the first time round it was torqued too tightly. The next service cracked the housing (or noticed the housing cracked) and the issue is to get a solution.

"Because the LDS monkey screwed up your reg the last time and you don't give second chances?" ...you don't give second chances??
No second chances on reg servicing. None.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Maybe there should be a minimum IQ requirement in order to own a reg.
Now how did I miss that insult? I guess I just wasn't looking for one from your direction... but then given the subject I can see why your fur got rubbed the wrong way. :D

Still... my point stands... I purchased a couple of regs from an LDS and I trusted them to treat me right when it came time for service.

My mistake on both counts.... you're right... that wasn't a stellar display of intelligence... but I've learned from my mistakes and haven't repeated either.

UP, you did'nt use my name when you went in there did you?

I have bought the majority of my gear at the LDS, or rahter two LDS. The only things I have not bought were my BC, fins, and the pressure gauges. In the case of most items i bought online I paid at least 50% less than I would have if I purchased it locally. I bought my scuba pro Mk25/S600 at the local shop as well as my Uwatec Smart Pro. However, when it came time to buy the Matrix harness to go with my deep out doors bladder that I got an insane deal on he wanted to charge full list price. I would have thought that since I spent $1200 in a week there, and he gave me a break on the scuba pro stuff, that he would give me a little bit of a break on the harness. I guess i didn't spend enough, but after seeing the "deals" he gives to the local rescue divers I don't feel all that bad.

On the other hand another shop I deal with gave me nearly 20% off on the Dive Rite Rec Pac that purchased for my fiance and now they are going to sell me a Bare drysuit they have had on the rack for a while for cost becuase they want to move it.

I did purchase an Apeks ATX40 combo for my fiance from Dive Inn, but for the price i paid ($209) I couldn't touch one around here. I think local dealers wanted close to $500 for the ATX 50 buy itself with out the octo. Its hard to pass up deals like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom