Hearing about Kimber has really shaken me up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimber's family has requested other divers not speculate on the situation. I'm sure details will be forthcoming at a time they feel appropriate. Based on what I know from a mutual dive buddy of ours, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered before any real information can be provided. Let's wait until those questions are answered, but keep Kimber in our thoughts and prayers.

To answer Ellen's question, I have had several friends die from SCUBA related incidents. It always causes me to stop and rethink my own diving. I do take some calculated risks at times, and it is good to occasionally reflect on just what those risks are and whether or not they are worth it in view of my own life and the effect of my possible loss on family and friends. However, as Walter said, diving is too integral a part of my life to give it up.

Hopefully Kimber will be back with her children and mother soon.

RJTY:
When I hear of people with so much more experienced than I am being involved in an accident, I think it is important for details.
At the moment there's no info other than that which has already been stated. If there's more (credible) information it will be posted.

I am sorry if my post offended or seemed pressing for information. I was only trying to convey how accidents in general affect other divers, me in paticular.

RJTY:
I am sorry if my post offended or seemed pressing for information. I was only trying to convey how accidents in general affect other divers, me in paticular.
Accidents in general are just that accidents - usually.

As a new diver. Instead of being scared, learn what you can from the full report (as it's available) and try to hone your skills, so that accidents don't happen to you.

I still fly on planes once a month, even though planes have been known to crash, and people are killed.

I still drive my car, even though more people are killed daily in vehicles, than in a year by SCUBA.

I don't think about giving up diving, I just think about being careful, diving in my limits and getting more training to handle situations if they should happen. Being a mom like Kimber is I think about my kids if something was to happen to me. I just think about being more safe than I already am. I also do public safety diving for a team so I think about especially diving safe that area.

For any diver who gets hurt, and for Kimber especially, I wish the best possible in a speedy recovery.

Would I consider quitting over this? Nah. I've seen a diver from my boat pulled from the water unconscious, sped away by another boat, and got ready for the next dive. I'll dive (or drive on the hiway) more carefully after seeing or reading about an accident - but I don't think of stopping.

fairybasslet:
I started thinking, maybe I should give up diving. I know I won't, but the thought crossed my mind. Do any of you have this reaction? I know this is really kind of a silly question. I mean, when I hear about a car accident, I don't think about giving up driving. Same with plane crashes.
(Thinking about you Kimber and wishing you a full recovery.)

I wouldn't give up diving until we have at least a partial clue as to what happened. It may not have even been related to diving. All we know is she was medevaced away from the dive site and is in the hospital. That is *all*.

It's weird, I think about giving up motorcycling when I hear about a crippling accident or the death of another rider. I think it's because of the risk from other drivers/deer/poor roads/etc. With diving I feel like I have much more control over the situation, maybe it's the training or the planning that goes into it but it just seems like an endeavor where the outcome has less left to chance.

Perhaps my skin has become a bit thicker over the years. Unfortunately a number of my friends died in aircraft accidents during my time in the military. None of them were from hostile fire, just from either training or mission accidents. An accident hits the community hard, but we have to remember that each one has multiple cause factors.

I stopped flying for different reasons - it was time to move on.

For a few days after the first accident (one of my roommates during pilot training was a victim) I did have second thoughts. A few of the more experienced types around provided more perspective. They told me, and my colleagues, much the same as has been said before in this thread. Learn from the mistakes of of the past for you will not live long enough to make them all yourself.

It is much more difficult when you know the people involved directly, not just through a common interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom