Hearing about Kimber has really shaken me up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans:
Accident analysis is a good thing.
But the problem is that we don't have any info to share yet.

That's a symptom of the problem. The problem is the info is being kept secret.

Walter:
That's a symptom of the problem. The problem is the info is being kept secret.
That could be. But it's difficult to know what we don't know.

unless the accident makes it into public (government or court-related) documents, it's not a public matter. you can request those public documents, and that's all.

anything else is a private matter between the diver, the eyewitnesses and you. they don't have to talk to you. they don't have to share information. they don't
have to talk to newspapers or the press. all that is entirely optional. the medical
staff CAN"T talk to you by law, without the consent of the patient.

bottom line is, this is ultimately a private matter between the diver and his
or her physician. the eyewitnesses may chose to respect the diver's whishes
that the accident not be discussed.

they don't have any obligation to share any information with us.

No. We're only immortal for a limited time & I'm old enough that that time is long past for me. There are risks, we know this, accept them & do what we can to minimize them.

In Kimber's case, we do not even know that whatever happened was due to diving. It may be entirely unrelated & something that occured out of the water, or even if in the water, something that would have occured any way. Since we don't know, guessing is futile.

If it turns out to be an actual dive incident, I expect that we will examine what is known & do our best to learn from those facts.

No, it's not. We don't know when it happened. We don't know what happened. We don't know how she's doing.

Right now, I'd settle for some kind of answer to the 3rd mystery. Is she recovering? Is she unchanged? Is she getting worse? Is she in pretty good shape? Are we losing her?

fairybasslet:
I started thinking, maybe I should give up diving. I know I won't, but the thought crossed my mind. Do any of you have this reaction? I know this is really kind of a silly question. I mean, when I hear about a car accident, I don't think about giving up driving. Same with plane crashes.
We don't even know that Kimber's injury was the result of a dive accident, only that she was evacuated from a boat. Even if thoughts of giving up diving turn out to be reasonable, at this point they're VERY premature.

I'm sure that when, god willing, she's back on the board, Kimber won't leave any of us guessing about what happened. If I recall correctly, her reports are notoriously thorough.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Kimber!

It does us all well to remember that life is a parade of calculated risks. Most of them, like driving, we rarely think about because most of us do that safely everyday without loss of life. And yet, something like 40,000 die on our roads in the US each year. Many more are seriously injured.

It's natural IMO to second guess participation in an activity like diving when an accident like this hits so close to home. It gets you asking yourself about the necessity of what your doing. It tests your passion for what your doing. Both good, healthy things to do IMO.

Wayward Son:
In Kimber's case, we do not even know that whatever happened was due to diving. It may be entirely unrelated & something that occured out of the water, or even if in the water, something that would have occured any way. Since we don't know, guessing is futile.

If it turns out to be an actual dive incident, I expect that we will examine what is known & do our best to learn from those facts.

Exactly.

-------
The discussion about speculating on/about accidents has been discussed quite a bit here on SB lately.

In general, it's much easier for people to speculate about people whom we're not in contact with...

Some unknown person had an accident, and suffered _________ outcome.

It's much easier to talk about these people whom we don't know, becuase they almost touch on us as being hypothetical. When it's someone we know...emotions get involved, and cloud people's judgement.

While this incident with TekDiveGirl has touched on many of us here on the board who know her is one way or another. I am sure that Kimber wouldn't want for anyone to stop diving because of whatever happened to her, weather her accident be dive related or not. Even that is speculation!

It's quite clear that she is loved by many here, and we all wish her the best.

As for being "shaken up" sure I'm shaken, but I'm certainly going to keep diving, and I hope to be able to dive with Kimber in Sept - as planned.

Very Best Wishes Kimber, we are thinking of you and you're family and pray God's healing hand will touch you to a full quick recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom