Hawaii's Horror--a photo essay of my sleepless night.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I missed this thread till today - Glad you didn't get bit again Catherine ... those things really hurt when they bite (as you found out) I think the average size is 4-6" with a few getting to 10" and the largest I've heard of in Hawaii was 14" long... however fossilized centipedes have been found exceeding 3ft long ...

btw - if you find they hang around, check in the attic (actually just set off a bug bomb in the attic - it will drive them out in a couple of days) they seem to like crawling down through light and ceiling fan fixtures as well as come up drains (yes they can swim) I hope you've seen the end of them though... I really hate centipedes.

One of the camps I used to work at the manager would pull the mandibles off centipedes and give them to his children to play with live... it was the oddest sight seeing these kids walking around with centipedes crawling up and down their arms... yuck. At the same camp (above Makakilo - Camp Timberline) the lifeguard killed a scorpion that was 6" long... for Hawaii that is huge as they rarely get over 2" long.

Best wishes erradicating them Catherine ...

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Don't worry Al, they are no worse on Maui than Oahu :wink:

oh my--pulled the jaws off and used them as toys?! well, I bet they are like slinkys! yea, I can see that. I have had quite a few 8" long ones here. They say my hill is covered with them. It seems if you set a bomb in the attick they might get flushed into the house...I will try it though. Thanks!

Aloha,

catherine96821:
oh my--pulled the jaws off and used them as toys?! well, I bet they are like slinkys! yea, I can see that. I have had quite a few 8" long ones here. They say my hill is covered with them. It seems if you set a bomb in the attick they might get flushed into the house...I will try it though. Thanks!

Aloha,

Flushing them into the house is kind of the idea :wink: then you can see them and kill them... plus they don't have any more babies once they are dead... And the bomb will kill the babies, just not the adults I've found. They won't be moving very fast after getting "gassed" either, so they are a lot easier to kill...

I have had quite a few 8" long ones here.
OK, someone was gonna do it so let it be me.
Is this (----------------------------------------) 8 inches????? Sorry, had to!

So this gut not only let the viper bite him and hang on, he then bit the head off and ate it! So I decided the safe place to be was on the roof with scary people armed with AK47s, second pic. Should have seen the guy eat a light bulb!
Im thinking that if you invite guys with guns over to protect you at night, one or two just might show up.......

that 8" thing.... I know it's a joke but I can't quite get it. I do know eight inches seems longer than that though.

Those centipede articles,....ugh. Now, I have to bomb my attic. That snake guy---I knew he looked "a few fries short of a happpy meal". (I stole that from Captain Joey)

Ugh! This thread is dredging up memories of when a College Room-mate put his pet Tarantula in my bed --"Great Kev! I lost him & was looking all over for him!" Yeah right. . .

Yuck... I like spiders now but centipedes? YUCK!!!!!!

Wildcard:
I have had quite a few 8" long ones here.
OK, someone was gonna do it so let it be me.
Is this (----------------------------------------) 8 inches????? Sorry, had to!

So this gut not only let the viper bite him and hang on, he then bit the head off and ate it! So I decided the safe place to be was on the roof with scary people armed with AK47s, second pic. Should have seen the guy eat a light bulb!
Im thinking that if you invite guys with guns over to protect you at night, one or two just might show up.......

Looks like 8" to me...:wink:

have you been....in the water up there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom