Have you ever deployed a delayed surface marker buoy or been taught how to?

Have you ever deployed a delayed surface marker buoy or been taught how to?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple solution: don't ask for permission, but only do it when necessary.

You can also ask the DM if you can be the one to launch for the group. That's what I did. The DM was helpful and made sure I knew what I was doing. As I launched, there was no need for him to launch. I appreciated that he allowed me to launch, as I needed the practice.

Reactions: yle
It is a good idea to put your name in large letters on your buoy. That way the person on the boat and other divers will know who is who before they surface.

I like to see how these instructors/ DMs do it quickly in ripping current where the DSMB line almost horizontal like in Peleliu Express, Palau. Soon enough for the dingy to spot it before we are lost at sea, miles away from the boat to see. This is when DSMB is needed the most.
You bring an additional/auxiliary 45m spool and have a buddy stand-by with it, ready to clip-on to the DSMB's spooline if in ripping current it completely pays-out to the bitter end. . .

It's safer. No chance of a mechanical foul up... just knotty lines.

My OW students learn how to deploy a sausage on the surface and my AOW students learn how to do it from depth.

Love it! This is exactly the practice I wish all of the agencies would adopt, including my own (regarding deployment from depth). I would like to see it be one of the mandatory requirements for Advanced Open Water certification or at the very least, one of the elective options. Even if one were never to use it going forward, it is an actual skill that will improve a divers buoyancy management, situational awareness and safety.

I am always looking for opportunities to keep my bag shooting skills semi-sharp, but the irony is that when everything is going well on a dive (for instance, when I locate the anchor line for my ascent) then I have no chance to shoot a bag for practice.

However, if I miss the anchor line, especially in a wicked current, I better have my bag shooting skills down...

I am always looking for opportunities to keep my bag shooting skills semi-sharp, but the irony is that when everything is going well on a dive (for instance, when I locate the anchor line for my ascent) then I have no chance to shoot a bag for practice.

However, if I miss the anchor line, especially in a wicked current, I better have my bag shooting skills down...

If you are out on any of the day boats from Ventura (Raptor, Peace, Spectre, Explorer), which I am guessing you might be due to your location, don't hesitate to let the DM or deckhand know before you dive that you are planning to deploy your SMB from depth on your safety stop for practice and that they shouldn't be alarmed when they see it. They will have no problem with you doing that.

To be clear, I am talking about deploying a surface marker buoy from depth- not surfacing and inflating one.

I didn't answer the poll but I have the following to add.

PADI changed its standard a couple of years ago and deploying a DSMB has been added to the list of skills new students learn during the OW course. The instructor is permitted to teach it at the surface (which is pretty pointless) or under water. It is a "dive flexible" skill which can be added to any of the dives in OW.

What I normally do with this is to start with it during dive 3 in open water. I demonstrate it first on land then again under water and have the students try it. If a repeat is necessary I'll add it to dive 4 as part of the "plan" students make. Every student has their own DSMB and everyone deploys from under water.

Personally I was certified 33 years ago and was self taught. During my initial technical training I was subsequently taught a much more effective technique than I had taught myself. The PADI standard does not prescribe a specific technique but I incorporate what I have learned from various teachers I have had in the past. Some instructors who don't have much experience with this or a background in technical diving may want to demonstrate it on the surface. I personally see that as an undesirable option but realistically there is a generation of instructors out there who may not have sufficient experience with this skill to demonstrate it under water with mastery themselves yet.

To be perfectly clear here, this isn't a slight at instructors. Some people simply don't dive where deploying a DSMB underwater is a skill they need. If someone never learned it and never practices it then it's unrealistic to expect them to master it magically because their C-card says OWSI. My hope is that over time PADI will drop the option for instructors do demonstrate this skill at the surface as a new generation of instructors who learned this skill early on enter the ranks.

R..

Some people simply don't dive where deploying a DSMB underwater is a skill they need.
I bet a lot of very experienced divers have never seen it done or dived in a place where it was needed. In part, that is because of changing attitudes toward it. In my first few years diving in Cozumel, I never saw it done. Now everyone does it.

The dive shop I'm diving with here in Coz wont allow divers to deploy one...only the DM?
I can some what understand why. With the number of groups the captain is looking for a specific marker. If 10+ hit the surface it could be a bit confusing.
Another side of me says ‘I don’t care. My safety I’ll send it up.’

What the DM we use in Cozumel does is, sends his up when the first group ascends. At that time it’s fair game for those others who want to use theirs as ascent lines.

As for training. DSMB is part of our AOW.
When leading trips were they are needed I’ll offer a pool workshop for those who are not familair with them and refresher for those once a year divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom