Have you been denied a dive because of the lack of paper dive log (w/ signature)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not recommended ... these are generally newish divers, and they might get a death opportunity out of it. I've seen someone drown ... it's not an experience I'd encourage.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That was sarcasm. Like saying someone should take whatever it is about a person that annoys them and shove it up their you-know-what. You aren't really going to do it, it just feels good to say it.

Not being an instructor I am entirely unqualified to make this comment so here it is: I expect an $AGENCY instructor should be able to obtain contact information for another $AGENCY instructor, in order to contact them and verify. They do have $AGENCY-issued IDs that are (should be) written down next to the signature.

Also referrals wouldn't exist (where you do the classroom & pool part of course locally then do OW dives on your tropical vacation) if the stamped and signed paper was not sufficient.
Agree with everything you said. I only had quibble with the (stamped and signed) student log being allowed as substitute for a proper (stamped and signed) instructor form.

For many years (1962 to 2000) I didn't log my dives. No need to. I did almost all my diving around Catalina, usually off my own boat. Then I decided I wanted to travel internationally and started to log my dives electronically in June, 2000. I got so tired of instructors who weren't even born when I started diving asking what my Los Angeles County meant. I had to do check out dives because they had no clue. I finally encountered a PADI instructor in Australia who not only recognized my c-card but called it a museum piece. I got a PADI AOW card from him and the questions stopped.

As for the OP's post, it seemed obvious from the tone that he did not have any significant anger towards the dive op since he understood their policy. Those suggesting he should take his business elsewhere seem to be over reacting. I think he did the right thing in just foregoing the dive. If I have issues with a dive OP's rules (and they are clearly stated ahead of time), I would do the same.

Some "dive professionals" are pretty clueless about certain things. I've told the story before about being denied a nitrox fill in Bonaire once because the only card I had with me at the time was my trimix card ... I finally told him to just give me trimix, but leave out the helium ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Those suggesting he should take his business elsewhere seem to be over reacting.

Those who suggested he take his business elsewhere probably realize that it's nearly impossible to back in time and get your logbook signed by whoever certified you some years ago.

Those who suggested he take his business elsewhere probably realize that it's nearly impossible to back in time and get your logbook signed by whoever certified you some years ago.
Good advice for beginners. I realised right after taking OW that he didn't sign the 4 dives, took the book to the shop and got the signatures. Shortly after that he left the shop never to return.

That whole "minimum number of dives" thing is a whole 'nother conversation. I've watched new divers down at our local dive sites go do five or six dives in a day ... each consisting of 20 minutes sitting on the bottom ... in order to get their numbers up so they could begin their DM training. What it does is help produce some real incompetent DM's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd like to see a skills test (not the same thing as demonstrating skills) like that are used as gatekeepers starting tech courses for some of the DIR agencies. Of course, the number of DMs created annually would plummet, but I won't say that would be all bad.

That whole "minimum number of dives" thing is a whole 'nother conversation. I've watched new divers down at our local dive sites go do five or six dives in a day ... each consisting of 20 minutes sitting on the bottom ... in order to get their numbers up so they could begin their DM training. What it does is help produce some real incompetent DM's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Well.......how deep is the bottom? If you're at 40m, for 20 minutes, your 5th or 6h dive of the day would be quite interesting.

Well.......how deep is the bottom? If you're at 40m, for 20 minutes, your 5th or 6h dive of the day would be quite interesting.

... these were mostly pretty shallow dives. The majority of our diving here is from shore, so while it's easy to go deep if you want to, you can also remain pretty shallow with a bit less of a surface swim ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... these were mostly pretty shallow dives. The majority of our diving here is from shore, so while it's easy to go deep if you want to, you can also remain pretty shallow with a bit less of a surface swim ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I apologize, should have added this::poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom