Have you been denied a dive because of the lack of paper dive log (w/ signature)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been asked for a log book. And don't carry one on dive trips, just blank pages. Helps meet the airline weight requirements. Several times I've not been asked to show a certification card.

I've never been asked for a log book. I've been asked when the last time I dived was and how many dives I have, but never been asked to prove it. One of the shops here in town requires you to have dived in the last year, have a dive from a boat in the last 6 months, and have at least a AOW for some dives. But they just ask you.

The way I see it the whole "log book" thing is ridiculous anyway. It isn't "proof" of anything since I can sit down and in 20 minutes make a fake log book if I wanted to. I mean really, no one ever called me up and said, "Hey this is Jerry from XYZ dive shop. Fred wants to dive with us and we're checking his log book...Did you really dive with Fred on October 20th, 1998?" :)

Hello All,

I was asked for my log book one time. That was when my instructor had to review log books to ascertain whether or not I had 100 logged dives. I was doing a PADI solo cert and 100 logged dives was a prerequisite.

I normally flash my Tech 40 and solo card when diving. No need to flash an AOW or Nitrox card because they are prerequisites for both certs and Nitrox is a prerequisite for one cert.
I had an experience like Bob (grateful diver) had (post #64). I wanted nitrox and the dive op's clerk asked for my nitrox card. I told him he was holding a 50% nitrox card in his hand. He started speaking Spanish to another employee, the other employee responded yes, yes, and then the employee who was helping me charged my CC for nitrox.

While diving the Spiegel Grove, the Dive op's clerk asked for an AOW cert. I told her that both certs in her hand required an AOW cert as a prerequisite and one required 100 logged dives. Why do I need an AOW cert? Another customer butted-in and explained it to her. I think he was a known customer and may have been a instructor.

My point:
We all have these certs and then sometimes we are not recognized for our certs. Somehow the system needs to be changed. I don't know how.

I sure do like the "water taxi" service that most west coast dive boats operate under. Flash your cert and from that point forward "you" are responsible for living up to the skills and planning required to dive to the certs level of training.

I don't see very many Muppets on west coast dive boats; not like I see on follow-the-leader dives. People become responsible when they know "mommy" won't be there to fix their incompetence.

markm

I've never been denied due to lack of a logbook in 28 years (and I have not kept a logbook in 17 yrs). There have been several super conservative dive ops that have required an orientation dive however.

We all have these certs and then sometimes we are not recognized for our certs. Somehow the system needs to be changed. I don't know how.

It's easy: carry a recognizable cert.

... which begs the question, recognizable by whom?

In 2003 I was denied access to a dive boat in Maui because I couldn't produce a certification the dive op would recognize. First I tried my YMCA AOW card, and was told they didn't recognize it as a valid certification. Then I tried my NAUI Divemaster card. They wouldn't take that one either. A bit flustered I asked the guy what he considered an acceptable certification. He informed me they only accepted PADI cards ... :confused:

So we walked across the street and signed up with his competitor, who was happy to accept either of the two cards I handed him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Somehow the system needs to be changed. I don't know how.

... which begs the question, recognizable by whom?

By "the system" of course.

Back in the USSR there was a joke about a plumber looking at a clogged drain, shaking his head and saying "the system needs to be changed". "What, like, the sink, the drain pipe?" "No, don't you get it? -- The system needs to be changed."

So I've hard time taking "the system needs to be changed" seriously: you run into a muppet clerk, escalate to next level in the food chain or walk across the street to another shop. Why is it the system's fault?

Never even been asked for a dive log, only asked to fill in paperwork exonerating operator and asked to show certification card(s).

First I tried my YMCA AOW card, and was told they didn't recognize it as a valid certification.

… confirming his ignorance of the history of scuba instruction in the USA

I'm envious! The ultimate diver's limited edition C-Card.

Then I tried my NAUI Divemaster card. They wouldn't take that one either. A bit flustered I asked the guy what he considered an acceptable certification. He informed me they only accepted PADI cards ... :confused:

Unfortunately too many newly minted PADI instructors think PADI invented scuba instruction, and if it's not PADI it's no good.

Hello All,

I was asked for my log book one time. That was when my instructor had to review log books to ascertain whether or not I had 100 logged dives. I was doing a PADI solo cert and 100 logged dives was a prerequisite.

I normally flash my Tech 40 and solo card when diving. No need to flash an AOW or Nitrox card because they are prerequisites for both certs and Nitrox is a prerequisite for one cert.
I had an experience like Bob (grateful diver) had (post #64). I wanted nitrox and the dive op's clerk asked for my nitrox card. I told him he was holding a 50% nitrox card in his hand. He started speaking Spanish to another employee, the other employee responded yes, yes, and then the employee who was helping me charged my CC for nitrox.

While diving the Spiegel Grove, the Dive op's clerk asked for an AOW cert. I told her that both certs in her hand required an AOW cert as a prerequisite and one required 100 logged dives. Why do I need an AOW cert? Another customer butted-in and explained it to her. I think he was a known customer and may have been a instructor.

My point:

I sure do like the "water taxi" service that most west coast dive boats operate under. Flash your cert and from that point forward "you" are responsible for living up to the skills and planning required to dive to the certs level of training.

I don't see very many Muppets on west coast dive boats; not like I see on follow-the-leader dives. People become responsible when they know "mommy" won't be there to fix their incompetence.

markm

And this is why I don't understand why previous/existing certs aren't listed on the new card when you get a new cert done. You don't get a "car driver's license" and then get your motorcycle license and have to carry two cards, and then get your CDL and get a third one to carry around... you get a new license that lists off what you're certified for because even the DMV can figure out that issuing a separate license for everything you can "drive" would be ridiculous.

Hi dmaziuk:

PADI certs are not recognizable?

I did not know that.

I have a cert that I received after I colluded with Putin, should I use that one? (Sarc button off)

The system:
You like the system and I don't. That's fine as your opinion is as valid as mine.

Pro dive ops should be able to respect c-cards that divers hold; but the system is broken. People like me are sometimes treated like cattle because of a flawed system.

Thanks for responding to my post as "the system" can only be changed if we noodle through a conversation. However, you will not change my mind because I have had similar experiences on several oceans and two hemispheres.
M

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom