Hate to complain, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do not have enough Polls on SB.....fire it up tridacna :thumb:

I think if we shut down that damn forsaken friends of Hockeynut thread things would be way faster. :D

What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of Hockeynuts thread and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Hockeynuts thread or give me death!"

Is it denial when I can honestly say that I have ZERO, NADA, ZILCH, ZIP, NONE, problems using Firefox, IE and Chrome? Periodically there are short hiccups but that is not what we are talking about here. People in this thread seem to think they represent the majority when in fact they are the visible minority.

All I'm saying is that I can guarantee that my computer has zero virus or other problems, is fully up to date, and is terrible when using Firefox. The fact that some people are experiencing problems doesn't necessarily mean they have registry errors, viruses etc, something else is going on; wish I knew what. Safari is fine, it's very strange....

Firefox and IE both suck for using this forum since the upgrade. I don't know what they f**ked up, but it isn't good.

I finally installed Safari just for this forum and it is working fine. I can't believe that a forum as big and popular as this one is not doing anything to address these issues.

Sorry Howard, but this place is getting on my nerves and I have been pretty patient about it.

Firefox and IE both suck for using this forum since the upgrade. I don't know what they f**ked up, but it isn't good.

I finally installed Safari just for this forum and it is working fine. I can't believe that a forum as big and popular as this one is not doing anything to address these issues.

Sorry Howard, but this place is getting on my nerves and I have been pretty patient about it.

You say we're not doing anything but you're wrong. I am on a continual basis looking at our server's performance, and optimizing result times and response times for queries.

At the same time. What I am doing may not resolve your issues, which I don't know what they are.

This information provides nothing usable from a support standpoint. You don't give version info, system info, operating system... nothing. This is just a baseless complaint.

It is completely impossible for me to troubleshoot each person's computer configuration, browser config, etc. I only have so many possible configurations at my disposal.

I have tested ScubaBoard on Firefox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and the Android Browser... On Windows7, Vista, XP, and Windows 2000. I've even used a mac, and whatever jaguar or something like that. Everything works as it should for me when I test it. If the site isn't working right for you, and you're using one of those browsers mentioned, then either update your browser... Dump your add-ons or other customization to your browser, and beyond that, I don't know what to tell you.

Let me say this (I think I've said this before)... There's a very small handful of complaints, compared to a huge increase in our daily traffic. Our alexa rank since the first "hate to complain" complaint has gone up over 5,000; which at our level is no small accomplishment. Currently with our ranking at 28,000 and our daily visitors topping 25,000. Based on this HUGE increase in daily traffic, I have a hard time believing that so many people are having trouble, and still using the site successfully.

This thread has 45 posts from 22 posters. Even if this thread had 220 posters, this is still a vast minority of users with problems compared to the daily traffic, and the increased traffic since the upgrade. Suffice it to say, I will do what I'm doing to continue to optimize our server speed, but as far as it goes with individuals with isolated problems that can't be replicated, there's just nothing I can do. If this means that we lose 5 members, then I'm sorry.

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service pack 3

Intell Pentium D CPU 3.40GHz
3.40 GHz, 2.00GB of RAM

All add-ons and pop-up blockers disabled
Anti-virus and firewall disabled

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESK
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model ConRoeXFire-eSATA2.
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3396 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 9/6/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory F:\WINDOWS
System Directory F:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name DESK\Don
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 906.17 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File F:\pagefile.sys

Internet Explorer 8
Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Cipher Strength: 128-bit

Y
I have tested ScubaBoard on Firefox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and the Android Browser... On Windows7, Vista, XP, and Windows 2000. I've even used a mac, and whatever jaguar or something like that.

I don't know how much the various operating systems have to do with anyone's problems, and I am just an average computer user without any specialized knowledge, but...

If you are using Mac OS 10.2, Jaguar (I'm not clear from your post if you are), it came out in 2002 and is really outdated now. On top of the fact that there are many newer versions, 10.2 is a PowerPC based system, whereas current Macs are Intel-based. 10.2 won't even run on a Mac machine that is newer than around 2007 or so.

As far as what might be better, the very newest OS is 10.7 (Lion), but as that has just come out, I would imagine the majority of Mac users are probably on 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.6 (Snow Leopard). These are both Intel-based systems.

By the way, SB is working reasonably well for me, although not quite as well as before the update. The slowness is not the worst problem for me, as I get around it by starting a number of threads opening in new tabs and then doing something else while they get loaded. For me probably the biggest inconvenience is that the whole subject line of a post no longer shows in my search results, oftentimes leaving me guessing as to whether I will be interested in a thread or not.

Thanks for all the work you do on SB, it's much appreciated.

Blue Sparkle

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service pack 3

Intell Pentium D CPU 3.40GHz
3.40 GHz, 2.00GB of RAM

All add-ons and pop-up blockers disabled
Anti-virus and firewall disabled

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESK
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model ConRoeXFire-eSATA2.
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3396 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 9/6/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory F:\WINDOWS
System Directory F:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name DESK\Don
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 906.17 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File F:\pagefile.sys

Internet Explorer 8
Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Cipher Strength: 128-bit

There's no reason why you're having problems that you're describing. Your OS and System should be more than adequate.

Currently, I'm in the Dominican Republic (ranked 144th in the world for internet connection speeds), living on a boat 3 miles offshore, using a tethered blackberry for internet connection, and my pages load in less than 4 seconds. If 2 seconds is too long for you to wait, I don't know what to do for you.

I don't know how much the various operating systems have to do with anyone's problems, and I am just an average computer user without any specialized knowledge, but...

If you are using Mac OS 10.2, Jaguar (I'm not clear from your post if you are), it came out in 2002 and is really outdated now. On top of the fact that there are many newer versions, 10.2 is a PowerPC based system, whereas current Macs are Intel-based. 10.2 won't even run on a Mac machine that is newer than around 2007 or so.

As far as what might be better, the very newest OS is 10.7 (Lion), but as that has just come out, I would imagine the majority of Mac users are probably on 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.6 (Snow Leopard). These are both Intel-based systems.

By the way, SB is working reasonably well for me, although not quite as well as before the update. The slowness is not the worst problem for me, as I get around it by starting a number of threads opening in new tabs and then doing something else while they get loaded. For me probably the biggest inconvenience is that the whole subject line of a post no longer shows in my search results, oftentimes leaving me guessing as to whether I will be interested in a thread or not.

Thanks for all the work you do on SB, it's much appreciated.

Blue Sparkle

I don't know Jack about Macs, other than I used my friend's mac to test the site. It could have had jaguar shark os or golden delicious os for all I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom