Hate to complain, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 seconds... from reload to build finish.

With my computer and internet connection, 2 seconds is a long time. My other forums pop open in 0 seconds.

When every single page takes 2-3 seconds to load, I am very picky about what posts I will read. Before the upgrade, things were fine.

Actually... Before the upgrade. Things were slower. Average page loads before the upgrade were (according to our server) 3.78 seconds. Now they're 2.71 seconds, which is not lightning fast, but it's about as fast as we can do using our software (vBulletin). Cutting even more time over page loads from 3-4 years ago which were more than 4 seconds.

The other forums you visit must be smaller, with less posts. For example, another forum I know you visit has this for statistics: Threads: 36,612, Posts: 363,321, Members: 30,42. Our site has this: Threads 369,119 Posts 5,503,200 Members 190,724. THAT has something to do with it. The other forum I mention has 1 server (I know) - we have 3 front end, 1 database, and 2 load balancing servers. We could improve query response times by pruning our database, but that means that posts and threads would be deleted, and that's not an option.

Unfortunately, our software uses database queries to produce the pages and the posts contained. With a database of our size (more than 20GB's) it takes more than a nanosecond to query results.

Data point: I hit reload on this relatively short thread, and it took 14 sec. On big threads, 30-60 sec is the norm, with load times exceeding that not being all that unusual. Seems to be roughly the same with a couple of different residential ISPs in this part of the world (Ethernet connections, not wireless), or the big fiber-linked network at work, and on a variety of reasonably current browsers at either sets of locations. IIRC, pre-upgrade the response times were 10-30 sec.

I have to call BS on load times of 30 to 60 seconds. Sorry. If that were true... nobody would use our site. When in fact, more than 20,000 people EVERY day use our site, with growth all the time. Currently, we're ranked 9,600 in the United States, and 30,000 in the world. I find it hard to believe that people would even bother if page loads were as slow as you claim.

With that said... At the same time... I am pursuing options to improve our database performance, and provide faster search results, and faster queries. Faster queries will produce faster pages, since every single page on SB is produced by a query.

However, as I've explained a few times, to pretty much the same small handful of people... The upgrade is not responsible for slower performance, in fact it IS faster, and as the guy who looks at our server logs, I tell you... It is faster.

Periodically I have bad days on the board but for the most part the upgrade is old news. I see slow days once in a while but they are not the norm so I am not willing to say the board is slow. One thing I will say is that when it does act up, it does it with vengeance and REALLY acts up.

I'm just sayin' that 30-60 seconds is not uncommon for page load times on ALL my machines. What can I tell ya', it's the slowest loading forum I use. What's odd to me is it used to be one of the fastest.

Didn't mean to start a fire...:shakehead:

I'm just sayin' that 30-60 seconds is not uncommon for page load times on ALL my machines. What can I tell ya', it's the slowest loading forum I use. What's odd to me is it used to be one of the fastest.

Didn't mean to start a fire...:shakehead:

The thing that kills me is that people blame the forum when they are the only ones experiencing the problem. That pretty much spells system issue to me.

The thing that kills me is that people blame the forum when they are the only ones experiencing the problem. That pretty much spells system issue to me.

Well, actually if you read the thread, three members said it was slow and three members said it was fast. HowardE doesn't count as he's a little biased! :wink:

Anyway, don't take offense, I'll just go out and buy all new computers!

FWIW- Firefox is somewhat faster loading the forum than IE8. Could be a code optimization thing...

Oh, and one last thing. Isn't this the SITE SUPPORT forum, where you can, "Post all your questions, suggestions and problems here".

I suppose that's allowed, as long as you don't actually post a question, suggestion or problem...

Your claims are wild and stand all on their own. 1 other person is claiming a minute per page. Your problem is not the norm no matter how badly you want to claim the Forum is your problem.

Well, actually if you read the thread, three members said it was slow and three members said it was fast. HowardE doesn't count as he's a little biased! :wink:

I may have bias, but the facts (from the logs) are what they are. Page are being served up more quickly. If you're not getting them in that time frame, then a problem exists between us and you, which I don't think I can totally fix.

I admit the pages DO TAKE AROUND 2.5 - 3 seconds... which is not 0.1 second. Unless vBulletin does some major code optimization, there is only so much we can do by throwing more hardware toward a solution. We did not write the forum software, we are only users.

Back
Top Bottom